Diablo® III

Auto-skip cutscences & cinematics

2 words: Adventure mode.

Possibly all we wanted will be with that mode..

That is data from the datamined content...

Adventure mode: Unlock it when you finish the campaing mode...
Reply Quote
It might work for Single Players --- but co-op might be more problematic.

For multiplayer the cut-scenes should always be off. If it's a players first play through they are out of luck. Anyone who plays their first play through in multi doesn't care much about the story anyways.
Reply Quote
Adventure Mode won't contain cut-scenes, or any of the main story dialogue for that matter.

It will be unlocked after finishing the campaign.
Reply Quote
+1

I hope the "Adventure Mode" is cutscene-free and without quest. For example, you will be able to slay the Skeleton King and kill the Butcher just after without doing quests.
Reply Quote
2 words: Adventure mode.

Possibly all we wanted will be with that mode..

That is data from the datamined content...

Adventure mode: Unlock it when you finish the campaing mode...

Was gonna say, Adventure Mode sounds like what this is, which will be nice. Im fine with the between act cut scenes, but everything else cant be turned off. But I know those that want this stuff gone want it all gone, which I understand am ok with. You can always watch the movies from the login screen, or I can pop in my CE bluray.
Reply Quote
Yes please. Make it optional for those who wants to experience the full content.
Reply Quote
09/26/2013 01:29 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We’re definitely aware that some players crave to stay in the fray as much as possible, and that for them, cut-scenes and cinematics can sometimes take away from the flow of battle. To that end, we’re currently exploring some possibilities that we hope might better satisfy both the players that want to experience the full story of Diablo III as well as those players that would prefer to have as few interruptions in their demon slaying as possible.

Some players? Who thinks it's fun to have dialogue popping up and stopping gameplay? Unless it's your first play through (in which case the same exact story will be presented to you three times, at least, before you hit 60), why would anyone want to go through that over and over?
Reply Quote
We’re definitely aware that some players crave to stay in the fray as much as possible, and that for them, cut-scenes and cinematics can sometimes take away from the flow of battle. To that end, we’re currently exploring some possibilities that we hope might better satisfy both the players that want to experience the full story of Diablo III as well as those players that would prefer to have as few interruptions in their demon slaying as possible.

Experiencing the full story of Diablo III is nice, but experiencing it over and over and over and over.... Well, I think you get the idea. :-)
Reply Quote
So this basically confirms that the Adventure mode will be a fully opened game mode. Thanks Blizzard, RoS is looking more and more promising. Can't wait for BlizzCon.
Edited by Cutt#2806 on 9/26/2013 4:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If you have the new adventure mode turned on, you should get no cutscenes during boss battles. Just smooth transition, for example, from normal diablo to realm of shadow diablo.
Reply Quote
Best way is to disable them by default after Normal mode is completed, everyone playing there has seen them.

I also liked the one-liners from Diablo 2, not a full life story LEAH!

And anyone who have played Diablo games knows its playing the same content over and over again, and that too much story and speech would only start to annoy.

I remember when they happily informed us that players didnt want to waste time listening to stories in town but wanted to kill monsters, and they explained th new feature that the story would be told along the way while slaying monsters, I already knew it would suck because you play it so often.

Its nice for 1 playthrough I agree on that but after that no way. I disabled the speech long time ago, but the need to skip the cutscenes and talk windows bah.
Edited by IRONMAN#2717 on 9/26/2013 3:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP

What about pausing the game while watching cinematics?

I lost a Hardcore character once because I decided to watch the cinematic after killing the Siegebreaker. Since the game was not paused, my Templar decided it would be a good idea to pull a pack of Fallen Shaman to the stairs where I was sitting idle because I decided to watch that cinematic. I didn't know the game didn't pause so it ended with my Hardcore Barbarian dead on the floor and my Templar Teebowed at his side. For this reason I will never allow a cutscene to play in my Hardcore games.

As for this option, that is what Adventure Mode will be for. Constant action without cutscenes.
Reply Quote
09/26/2013 02:18 PMPosted by Zyron

Imo it was wrong to subject players to the same quest dialog thousands of times in the first place.

The ONLY way to get to the next act is to quest, which means the same tired dialog & cutscenes, how is this just now being scrutinized? Or having voice enabled to hear your hero but at the mandatory cost of hearing the the same follower remarks for the billionth time.

Come on man...

Barbarian: Tell me again about that inn you are going to open..

Argh man you are killing me here, troll :P
Reply Quote

The thing is, this is a grinding game. Your story isn't good, and even if it was, it just gets in the way after a couple playthroughs, remaining as an obnoxious nuisance, at best. Why do we need to have this anyways? In Both D1 and D2 there were no problems with this.

I would suggest to take a more optional approach to the story, that would also help a lot recover the lost ambiance of the game. Currently, we're aggravated all the time by these cheesy malware-like popups all the time. There's a reason why everyone just picks the last quest of their chosen act to farm.

However, how about bringing more legend-like content to the table? I like to use the halls of the blind poem and the countess story books from D1 and D2 as an example. This is how we should be learning from these demons. Hearsay, lost manuscripts, letters, and other interesting documents. You know, stuff from legends and stories. I personally really liked the audiobooks idea, which was a great step forward from those 2 examples, where you had to sit there listening to the narration, and It's fun to find little bits of lore like that, precisely because they're the product of exploration, and not just shoved down our throats like the subpar story you guys came up with.

Not only would it make the game more interesting exploration-wise, but it would also bring some mystery back to the game. Some of these stories could lead to special dungeons precisely like those 2 did, and I'm pretty sure it would really work well with something like the nephalem trials you guys announced.

Another thing. Please don't make demons overly chatty. This just makes them ridiculous. These guys are supposed to be nasty incarnations of pure evil, not 5 year old bullies. The less we see of them, the better. It makes them more intimidating, more demon-like. They shouldn't be following us with a freaking walkie-talkie to try and discourage us with cheesy punchlines every time we screw up their plans like the scooby doo kids. Overall, these guys suffer a severe case of character overexposure, which drastically affects the ambiance, and is downright annoying most of the time.
Edited by Blashyrkh#1824 on 9/26/2013 4:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
YES to auto-skip! +1

09/26/2013 04:01 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
The thing is, this is a grinding game. Your story isn't good, and even if it was, it just gets in the way after a couple playthroughs, remaining as an obnoxious nuisance, at best. Why do we need to have this anyways? In Both D1 and D2 there were no problems with this.

You know, stuff from legends and stories.

Another thing. Please don't make demons overly chatty. This just makes them ridiculous.

Boom!!! The greatest tool is our imagination! But, don't forget the atmosphere: the cartoonish graphics, brightly lit areas (due to no light radius), and in-game cutescense really killed it for me.
Reply Quote

I would suggest to take a more optional approach to the story, that would also help a lot recover the lost ambiance of the game. Currently, we're aggravated all the time by these cheesy malware-like popups all the time. There's a reason why everyone just picks the last quest of their chosen act to farm.

However, how about bringing more legend-like content to the table? I like to use the halls of the blind poem and the countess story books from D1 and D2 as an example. This is how we should be learning from these demons. Hearsay, lost manuscripts, letters, and other interesting documents. You know, stuff from legends and stories. I personally really liked the audiobooks idea, which was a great step forward from those 2 examples, where you had to sit there listening to the narration, and It's fun to find little bits of lore like that, precisely because they're the product of exploration, and not just shoved down our throats like the subpar story you guys came up with.

Not only would it make the game more interesting exploration-wise, but it would also bring some mystery back to the game. Some of these stories could lead to special dungeons precisely like those 2 did, and I'm pretty sure it would really work well with something like the nephalem trials you guys announced.

Another thing. Please don't make demons overly chatty. This just makes them ridiculous. These guys are supposed to be nasty incarnations of pure evil, not 5 year old bullies. The less we see of them, the better. It makes them more intimidating, more demon-like. They shouldn't be following us with a freaking walkie-talkie to try and discourage us with cheesy punchlines every time we screw up their plans like the scooby doo kids. Overall, these guys suffer a severe case of character overexposure, which drastically affects the ambiance, and is downright annoying most of the time.

Excellent post.

The Bosses should only greet you on entering their lair before killing you or you killing them. That gives them a mysterious allure, only seeing them for the first time when you face them.

I also liked the curse of Baal in LoD when you would stand still on one spot for too long in the Worldstone keep.

But I guess even demons are up to date with Apps and Facetime on tablets.
Reply Quote
09/26/2013 01:32 PMPosted by Kletimostaph
Why not just give us a check box in the options menu somewhere to "activate" or "deactivate" cut scenes?
Reply Quote
09/26/2013 04:37 PMPosted by Wolverine
(due to no light radius)

Yes we need light radius back, that produces a creepy atmosphere, not knowing whats behind the corner, seeing other lights in the distance from torches, candles or monsters, the special three color glow from elites in the next room, spell effects and day & night cycle. All these things can make you forget the cartoony appearance.

All the light sources are already in the game we just need the basic lighting dimmed a bit so you cant see the edge of the screen and give light radius to heroes, a basic starting radius and let it increase with pickup radius or something, no need for an extra stat on items.

Might as well make a new thread about this, its not too late to implement in RoS...
Edited by IRONMAN#2717 on 9/26/2013 5:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]