Diablo® III

Attack speed - misleading damage boost?

So i picked up a ring with 15% attack speed on it and the tooltip says it will give me 800DPS more then my intel/stam/+dmg ring.

But is this a misleading change? As far as I know attack speed wont help acid pool or locusts, any other DOT's ect, re-applying the DOT faster just burns mana

---

So attack speed looks like it raises our damage a ton, but does it really? 80% of our kit doesnt use it as far as I see, pets, nope, DOT's, nope.....just our auto attack can benefit? poison darts/frogs ect.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
it can be pretty "meh" depending on build, you're right. most people use darts or bears and it helps for those though
Reply Quote
Actually, as far as most dots are concerned, attack speed adds +dmg per tick.
Reply Quote
for darts, atk speed is king. more darts = more dmg.

for other spells, especially dots like haunt, atk speed does virtually nothing ,though it seems like it should based on the dmg stat
Reply Quote
Kinda frustrating -_- I wish dots took the dmg from the DPS shown on your character sheet so they could benefit from attack speed, especially when they dont even display the Weapon Damage number all your dot skills use, and your pets use.......so were trained to raise this DPS number shown in your inventory........but thats not even the number used on 80% of my spells...for real ...sigh.

I like to min/max, this set-up makes it almost impossible, it makes sense on DH,monk,barb, but is whack for casters.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:26 AMPosted by Seige
Kinda frustrating -_- I wish dots took the dmg from the DPS shown on your character sheet so they could benefit from attack speed

Is anyone 100% sure they don't? Someone mentioned attack speed increases dot tick damage. This is something I will test when I get home.
Reply Quote
There is an article that says +attack speed does improve DoT damage. I don't know if it improves DoT tick rate or just a bigger damage number. I think it's just bigger damage number per tick.

I just don't know if +attack speed improves as much as a pure +damage boost.
Reply Quote
When i switched my dagger/mojo combo for a 2hander with 0.90 attack speed, i instantly realised that locust swarm damage really doesn't check your attack speed.
Reply Quote
I also read somewhere that increased AS will increase the amount of the dmg per tick on DOTs
Reply Quote
It does helps dots as far as we know.
Reply Quote
AFAIK it goes as folows:

Fast AS = dots tick faster, smaller number but more numbers.
Slow AS = dots tick slower, bigger numbers but less number.

Can any1 confirm?
Reply Quote
AFAIK it goes as folows:

Fast AS = dots tick faster, smaller number but more numbers.
Slow AS = dots tick slower, bigger numbers but less number.

Can any1 confirm?

I can confirm that faster attack speed does not cause DoT to tick faster because I've tried using Haunt with Frenzy buff on me (25% +attack speed) and I did not notice DoT going faster. However, the damage for each DoT could be bigger. I just couldn't tell at that time.

And I am pretty sure DoT rate is the same with a slower weapon. You just see bigger number.

The question is whether or not +attack speed increase your DoT damage per tick better or worse than a 2H weapon. I do know that article says if you use a channeling spell, +attack speed drains you faster. You are better off using a high damage 2H so each tick/cycle does more damage = less mana usage.
Reply Quote
Higher Weapon Attack Speed = Higher DoT Damage per Tick (CONTESTED: Needs more testing)
(Note, also goes for Spider Queen, Big Stinker, etc., as well as pet auto-attacks)

Taken from - COMPREHENSIVE WITCH DOCTOR BUILD GUIDE
Original link - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4927183159

OP did mention it needs more testing so take it with a grain of salt.

That said, there was a similar thread or post in regards to the issue of attack speed and its effect on dots.

Somewhere among the discussion, a poster brought up that an attack speed boost does indeed improve dots(not sure if he meant the tick speed or the damage or both).

That poster also mentioned that the dots affected by attack speed are those that have a cooldown. Meaning haunt and locust are both out of the picture. I'm pretty sure he pointed out grasp as having a benefit from faster attack speed.

Edit : Trying to find that thread or post so that i can provide a link, but its going to be hard since i can't remember the thread name. Was from quite a few days ago =x
Edited by NightCross#6873 on 5/30/2012 11:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Attack speed is just that, how fast you can attack. AKA spaming skills.
There is no "haste" in Diablo3. So your dots will not tick faster with Attack speed.

Yes the "damage" number people are claming to be in the 40k's, well that goes up dramaticly with attack speed. But doesnt meen they will hit harder than somebody with 20k damage, just faster.
Reply Quote
@Otiveht

Yeah, what you pointed out might be true.

But i believe what the OP was trying to get across, was that since that damage number shown in your inventory stats section, goes up with attack speed increasing items. And since attack speed does not improve dot damage(still being tested).

That if say you were to spam dots and nothing else, you will not actually be able to do the damage that you would otherwise have assumed you can do, from referring to that damage number shown there.
Edited by NightCross#6873 on 5/30/2012 11:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@FulMTLjacket

Dots - Damage over time, typically associated with poison and bleed effects. Generally any skill that has an effect after cast, that does damage over a period of time(spell's duration)

Tick would mean each second of the Dots duration. To be more precise, each phase of the damage dealt during the Dots duration.
Edited by NightCross#6873 on 5/30/2012 11:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Pets actually do directly benefit from attack speed, their damage is straight up buffed instead of attacking faster. I tested this myself. Someone else confirmed that the locust swarm dot is not improved by attack speed, the acid pool may very well work the same but it needs testing.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Eshi
Pets actually do directly benefit from attack speed, their damage is straight up buffed instead of attacking faster. I tested this myself.

Oh my, lovely! Thanks. Using this logic, I think attack speed should improve DoT's damage but not the tick speed.

No idea on Locust and Acid Rain. I don't use those two enough to tell the difference.

This means if I get the Frenzy buff, I should see higher damage from my pets? This makes sense because with faster attack, my Damage Number in stats screen goes up = higher pet damage since pet scales with my damage on the fly.

I wonder how Big Bad Voodoo works with pets then. I do use Big Bad Voodoo. I guess I can test this to see if my pets do more damage (rather than attacking faster).
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 5/30/2012 11:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]