Diablo® III

The Non Glass Cannon "Tankbuster" Build.

Strengths:

- Less dependance on expensive IAS%.
- <3 massive crits
- Is Inferno viable.
- Doesn't rely on Nether Tentacles or Smokescreen (usually).
- Can handle almost any situation - boss or regular mob without skill switching.
- Doesn't get one shot when a monster looks at you.
- Is interesting and powerful feeling.
- Somewhat more 'nerf proof' than the current NT build.
- You actually feel like an archer rather than a silly mage thing firing red/blue balls.

Weaknesses

- Very hatred hungry.
- Vulnerable to Inv Minions.
- Requires some defensive stats.
- Vulnerable to snares.

The idea of this build was to make a rocket centered DH capable of doing both high damage and surviving a hit or two. Naturally you won't be standing in desecrate or soaking Belials hits, but you can shrug off things long enough to recover.

The build. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bPgVTl!heT!bZYcZb

> using 2h crossbow <

Skill 1 - Any signature. You really are free here. Some like HA, some like ES. You will be using this a fair bit to build up hatred.

Skill 2 - Cluster Arrow + Shooting Stars. The bread and butter of this build. Not only can this do absolutely obscene burst damage via the Ballistics passive but via it's homing missile can hit the same target twice.

Skill 3 - Shadow Power + Gloom. Personal preference. With some +disc gear, you can keep this up for a *long* time. The burst of CA makes the leech pretty decent, and the damage reduction on top of resistances can actually make you pretty damn tanky.

> Note: On some bosses (Belial, Butcher) and if you find yourself against something that is going to snare you a lot, you will want Smokescreen.

Skill 4 - Preparation + Backup Plan. I like this in conjuction with Gloom, since when this procs you can maintain it for a very long time. Battle Scars is also nice.

Skill 5 - Companion + Bat. You want this due to how hungry this build is on Hatred.

Skill 6 - ROV + Stampede. Personal preference, keeps things away from you. With Gloom and this activated you are not taking in very much damage at all.

> Note: On Act bosses, I like to switch this out for Sentry, Beasty Bombs or Impale depending on what I'm going up against.

Passives:

Sharpshooter - Crits galore.

Archery - Self explanatory.

Ballistics - Pumps up rocket damage, good for you.

Build 2: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bPgVTl!heg!bZYcZb

When using a 2h bow.

Basically dropping Sharpshooter for Grenadier to reduce cluster arrow cost.

Build 3: (Experimental at present). Using a 2h crossbow. Shooting Stars is replaced with Loaded for Bear. Grenadier is replaced with Steady Aim. Not as effective on bosses it seems, but way better on trash.

Stats:

You want -
+ Dex and dmg.
+ disc. You want gloom up semi permanently.
+ Fire and Phys resist. Generally I find these are the ranged damage sources that I need to look out for.
+ /If/ you are using a crossbow and going for a crit heavy build, gear accordingly.
+ Vitality is nice, try to keep at least 25-30k.
+ Hatred regen is wonderful.

Tactics.

This build requires a bit of awareness. You will be dumping cluster arrows as often as you can for obscene aoe and single target hits (both a rocket and the initial explosion can hit one target). Keeping gloom up as much as possible will give you room to manuever. ES (or whatever hatred builder you choose) is there to do a bit of damage and maximize CA output.

What makes this build so entertaining is how well it can deal with elites - each CA has a powerful initial explosion and releases 3 rockets (which are also strong) which will home in on nearby targets, basically giving something like 400% damage over 2 seconds to up to 3 targets if it all lands. You can dump all your hatred into 2-4 arrows in a second and it all stacks, meaning the sheer bursting power is downright wild.

Stampede will keep things off you long enough to reposition if things get hairy, Gloom means you can actually fight rather than just spray and pray.

Bursting with CA while gloom is up can result in a *lot* of health gained, which is a plus too.

Thoughts?

EDIT 1: Currently almost done with Act 2, will be moving onto Act 3 this weekend I hope (work...sigh).

EDIT 2: This will likely be even more effective in 1.03 once the spike damage is less so.
Edited by Starbird#1487 on 5/30/2012 8:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Death Knight
I can't see this working past act 1, maybe act 2 if you stack a lot of vit. Acts 3/4 !@#$ starts hitting you in the 6 digit range.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:49 PMPosted by Aravis
I can't see this working past act 1, maybe act 2 if you stack a lot of vit. Acts 3/4 !@#$ starts hitting you in the 6 digit range.

That and Gloom can reduce 60%...but 60% of 150k damage is still going to kill you.
Edited by Windchimes#1153 on 5/30/2012 7:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote

That and Gloom can reduce 60%...but 60% of 100k damage is still going to kill you.

32k hp and rather high phyiscal and fire resists - with gloom up I definately don't get 1 shot. 100k -60% is 40k, then reduced by armor and resists.

EDIT - okay, you changed it to 150k.

With stampede running I normally have time to scoot and shoot to another position. I am currently gearing for Act 3.

Don't forget that 1.03 is going to make things much less spikier, and I see Gloom being *WAY* nicer due to uptime and leech.
Edited by Starbird#1487 on 5/30/2012 7:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Been a big fan of this build all throughout hell, interested to see how it's going to hold up in inferno.
Cept I've used nether tentacles instead of cluster.
and a different passive.
Used tumble/vault in the earlier stages instead of prep, but then made the switch later on.
Reply Quote
Been a big fan of this build all throughout hell, interested to see how it's going to hold up in inferno.
Cept I've used nether tentacles instead of cluster.
and a different passive.
Used tumble/vault in the earlier stages instead of prep, but then made the switch later on.

To be honest the main idea was no longer relying on 'little red balls' as an archer.

Give me a gigantic rocket any day :)

/Updating OP slightly.
Reply Quote
Strengths:

- Less dependance on expensive IAS%.
- <3 massive crits
- Doesn't rely on Nether Tentacles or Smokescreen (usually).
- Can handle almost any situation - boss or regular mob without skill switching.
- Is interesting and powerful feeling.
- Somewhat more 'nerf proof' than the current NT build.

Those are not strengths. Just personal preferences. And everything else I pulled out is pretty much covered by the more practical Inferno builds.

And the only hint of a "Non Glass Cannon" build I see is your instructions to stack vit and resists, where you openly admit that it will only allow the user to survive one or two extra hits. (which it won't) If anything this is a "Already Broken Glass Cannon" build due to the complete lack of snares. Where the hell were you using this?

And I'm pretty sure NT does more single target damage than Cluster right now, due to far higher chances of getting two 155% hits off, rather than a slight chance of getting two 175% hits, the third being impossible unless the monster is as big as a barn. And it's easier to aim. And it takes up less hatred. And it pierces, so actually, it does a lot more aoe damage too.
Reply Quote
Even if this lets you get hit once, and that's a big if on act 4, you'll kill so much slower that you'll have to dodge way more attacks over the course of killing the same mobs. It just doesn't seem worth it to stack anything except dex and other dps stats.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 09:33 PMPosted by Aravis
Even if this lets you get hit once, and that's a big if on act 4, you'll kill so much slower that you'll have to dodge way more attacks over the course of killing the same mobs. It just doesn't seem worth it to stack anything except dex and other dps stats.

Currently this may be true (as said, still moving into A3). However it is likely a combination of Inferno being too spikey and not sufficient defensive gear.

The current playstyle (NT glasscannon build) can't be the intended way to play the class and will likley either be changed or nerfed somehow.

I'm not saying that my build is in any way superior to it - but I find it far more entertaining and useful for where I am now.
Reply Quote
I've experimented a similar build with Cluster and SP too, I think the biggest Issue for Cluster is that you can never burst more than 2 shots in a row unless using Grenadier, its Hatred cost is just too high. From my experience in Inf the shorter 'DPS downtime' from firing Hatred Generators the higher your chance of survival, since most of the more popular Hatred generator skills are for CC, and we all know how efficient CCs are in Inf. I think that's the reason why most people pick HA, to forget about CC and just add more damage. I however strongly recommend Grenades(Tinkerer) to go along with Grenadier and CA, Grenades is very underrated, I admit it's not the easiest skill to use in this game, but once you overcome the learning curve and read the movement pattern of mobs you can always hit anything human sized or more with 2 of the grenades, i.e. 190% dmg, especially in tight corners, while generating 8Ht per throw, greatly reducing DPS downtime.

As for SP, its biggest weakest must be Inv. minions. Cannot agree more on that, and it's just so hard to beat because of the lack of Life steal. Damn it's hard lol. Other than that it's a very useful skill.
Reply Quote
I don't disagree. Everyone isn't playing NT glass cannon 'cause they enjoy the play style; they're doing it 'cause it's the only real option available. If they want people to do something different they need to buff other aspects of the class, not nerf the only thing we have going for us.

It's the same thing with SS. Everyone was using SS so they nerfed it but didn't make any other survival tools worth using; so what replaced SS after the nerf? A nerfed SS, which everyone still uses.
Reply Quote
I've experimented a similar build with Cluster and SP too, I think the biggest Issue for Cluster is that you can never burst more than 2 shots in a row unless using Grenadier, its Hatred cost is just too high. From my experience in Inf the shorter 'DPS downtime' from firing Hatred Generators the higher your chance of survival, since most of the more popular Hatred generator skills are for CC, and we all know how efficient CCs are in Inf. I think that's the reason why most people pick HA, to forget about CC and just add more damage. I however strongly recommend Grenades(Tinkerer) to go along with Grenadier and CA, Grenades is very underrated, I admit it's not the easiest skill to use in this game, but once you overcome the learning curve and read the movement pattern of mobs you can always hit anything human sized or more with 2 of the grenades, i.e. 190% dmg, especially in tight corners, while generating 8Ht per throw, greatly reducing DPS downtime.

As for SP, its biggest weakest must be Inv. minions. Cannot agree more on that, and it's just so hard to beat because of the lack of Life steal. Damn it's hard lol. Other than that it's a very useful skill.

I find the 2-3 arrows I can fire work better for me than a ton of smaller blasts because of how Sharpshooter works - another reason a slow crossbow actually seems better for me.

It allows me to dump my burst and then either kite with generators or run like hell with Gloom - then do the same again.

Grenadier is nice if I'm going for a bow build, but I despise grenades - against anything moving fast they are pretty meh.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 10:44 PMPosted by Starbird
Grenadier is nice if I'm going for a bow build, but I despise grenades - against anything moving fast they are pretty meh.

Instead of 'chasing' the fast mobs with grenades you throw them to where they would land. Plus you do it leaning by the walls so that they take 2 grenades instead of 1. But it takes a lot of practice man, a lot of practice. But then again it's 190% damage and 8Ht. It melts big fatties too!
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 11:33 PMPosted by Babydoll

Instead of 'chasing' the fast mobs with grenades you throw them to where they would land. Plus you do it leaning by the walls so that they take 2 grenades instead of 1. But it takes a lot of practice man, a lot of practice. But then again it's 190% damage and 8Ht. It melts big fatties too!

Enjoy :) I guess that's your playstyle. I much prefer arrows if I'm carrying a bow, but if people are liking different builds and having success with them - that's a good sign for the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]