Diablo® III

With super high end gear...barb still sucks?

So since monk is garbage at the moment, I rerolled a DH to farm inferno. Which works but its boring. So I decided to level a barb since their skills are much better than monks for survival and dps.

I loaded him up with gear, and here are my current stats: http://imgur.com/UXCPK
85.3k hp
10.3k armor (77.5% dmg reduction)
~800 all resist (~73% dmg reduction)
15.9% dodge
27% block chance (1.9k-2.8k dmg)
7.84% ranged dmg reduction

Using the typical defensive skills and passives, I can survive pretty well against most enemies in act 3 by constantly healing with skills, but alot of mobs give trouble. In act 4, I can survive a decent amount of regular mobs but elite packs are nearly impossible, since to get this much survivability you have to sacrifice a ton of dps. I can get my damage to ~18kish with my tank stuff and a damage skill up, but it isn't really enough to matter. My DH can just run and hit for 150-200k endlessly, and my barb can tank for 30 seconds and hit for ~20k. My monk with super gear was still garbage in act4..so I won't get into that.

So basically, even with REALLY high stats, barbs still get destroyed in act4.

Has anyone come up with a high dps build that somehow offers survivability too? Because from what it looks like, it is completely pointless to play meelee in this game.

So to anyone who says "you just need gear"..no you don't. I have the gear. Barb still sucks.
Reply Quote
I'm going to go with:

- barb is fine
- DH needs the nerfbat

however, I don't really want or expect blizz to nerf for balance in diablo, so they'll probably throw a few pity buffs our way and just let DH run everything.
Edited by Torgairon#1228 on 5/30/2012 10:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://i.imgur.com/uvaIS.jpg

It's all about that balance.
Reply Quote
I think maybe just upgrade your weapon, 8k dps is kind of low for inferno act 3. With 8k DPS your weapon's damage must be pretty low? You don't have any life on hit, get a justice lantern for +11% block on ring, helm of command has another 8% block.

Life on hit adds a lot of survivability, as does the +20% block you are missing out on.

IDK what your belt is, but a string of ears belt has 10-20% melee damage mitigation
Reply Quote

I can drop my defense stats down to yours but then I will die even faster. In act4, most elite packs and even regular mobs can drop me pretty fast. Can you successfully farm through it without issue? Do you kill fast enough that your low defense doesn't matter?
Reply Quote
I think maybe just upgrade your weapon, 8k dps is kind of low for inferno act 3. With 8k DPS your weapon's damage must be pretty low? You don't have any life on hit, get a justice lantern for +11% block on ring, helm of command has another 8% block.

Life on hit adds a lot of survivability, as does the +20% block you are missing out on.

IDK what your belt is, but a string of ears belt has 10-20% melee damage mitigation

I'm using one justice lantern, I was hoping to save for a super high vitality/str/all res ring for my other.

My belt has:
135 str
65 dex
145 vit
66 all resist
50 life/second

20% string of ears are way overpriced, and the stats they provide otherwise usually suck. I've got a string of ears on my monk and I don't feel like it made any difference.
Reply Quote

I can drop my defense stats down to yours but then I will die even faster. In act4, most elite packs and even regular mobs can drop me pretty fast. Can you successfully farm through it without issue? Do you kill fast enough that your low defense doesn't matter?

Are your stats buffed in your pic? That makes a big difference. These are my unbuffed stats. If you use wrath of berserker, earthquake and ignore pain when soloing elites in act 4, they die before berserker wears off.
Reply Quote

So it's still about gear.

IMO we don't have to get so eager to beat through inferno. The game was just born and now it's just in its first month. We have time don't we? There will be boredom and emptiness coming with super-fast beating through the game.
Reply Quote
Your stats are not good enough. Look at the affix tables, you can get much better (at least 200 vitality, 200 strength and 65-70 to all resistances per gear piece, chance to crit on pieces that it can spawn, also ias where it can be). And even such gear would be pretty far from top, because there are items with up to 300 to stats.. I think game is meant to be played quite easily with that really top gear, fact that demon hunter can farm with cheap items is the lack of balance here, not melee being too weak. It is just designed to require tons of trading to get to the point where you can literally jump from elite to elite pack in a3/a4 inferno, not die, and kill each in 20-30s max. This is endgame goal.

You can also try using 2h, won't sacrifice that much, as in a3-a4 mobs hit so hard, especially elites, shield block barely absorbs anything (most of hit goes through). I'd say it becomes somewhat playable with minimum 30k dps on details screen.
Reply Quote

I'm interested in seeing what kind of gear you have equipped please.
Reply Quote

You can add me in game, right click my name, view profile, and dig through the menus to inspect.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 10:36 PMPosted by pharmosh
If you use wrath of berserker, earthquake and ignore pain when soloing elites in act 4, they die before berserker wears off.

So you use three long-time cooldown skills as your mf build? It's quite a good idea if the only barricade is the elite pack and you can ignore most white mobs.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue

You can add me in game, right click my name, view profile, and dig through the menus to inspect.

Battletag sir?

I'd like to see it as well
Reply Quote

Found your battle tag, thanks.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 10:44 PMPosted by Azurewrath
If you use wrath of berserker, earthquake and ignore pain when soloing elites in act 4, they die before berserker wears off.

So you use three long-time cooldown skills as your mf build? It's quite a good idea if the only barricade is the elite pack and you can ignore most white mobs.

The trash mobs are doable without using berserker and earthquake.

My battle tag can be viewed if you click my name on my posts.
Reply Quote

Are your stats buffed in your pic? That makes a big difference. These are my unbuffed stats. If you use wrath of berserker, earthquake and ignore pain when soloing elites in act 4, they die before berserker wears off.

I have the 50% resist buff on in the pic, but that's it.

I don't normally use earthquake/berserker when farming because the CD is so long, I like to move constantly without waiting for those to be up and depending completely on them.

I use frenzy/war cry/ furious charge/ revenge/ ignore pain/ and last slot is either a dps boost like battle rage, or another survival thing like overpower.

I am currently using a 666dps 1 hander because it offers 280 vit, 92 dex, and 14 all resist from int. I can buy a 900+ dps one hander without stats, but I don't think its worth losing the health/resist/dodge.
Reply Quote

I have the 50% resist buff on in the pic, but that's it.

I don't normally use earthquake/berserker when farming because the CD is so long, I like to move constantly without waiting for those to be up and depending completely on them.

I use frenzy/war cry/ furious charge/ revenge/ ignore pain/ and last slot is either a dps boost like battle rage, or another survival thing like overpower.

I am currently using a 666dps 1 hander because it offers 280 vit, 92 dex, and 14 all resist from int. I can buy a 900+ dps one hander without stats, but I don't think its worth losing the health/resist/dodge.

http://i.imgur.com/SAjot.jpg

My stats with the buff.

You have worse resists, 500 more armor, and 6 times lower dps. I think that answers the question on why you're having trouble. Just need better gear and decide if you want to go 1hand or 2hand.
Edited by pharmosh#1233 on 5/30/2012 10:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, but what % reduction do your resists provide? Probably only like 5-10% higher than mine? I also block 2-3k dmg, have 15k more hp, and 8% ranged dmg reduction, but I still drop pretty fast. My issue is survivability even in full tank mode.

Do you just suicide a lot? Get mobs as low as you can and go back to finish them off?
Reply Quote
The dps trade off is well worth it, at least for soloing. Just use leap with armor or ignore pain if you run into problems. If the elites are really hard, I focus on just taking down one and see if I can take down more once one dies. Trash mobs no suicide required.

I dont pay attention to the percentages of survival, I know I need better gear if I am dying.
Edited by pharmosh#1233 on 5/30/2012 11:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Pharmosh,

Could you tell me what passives you are using?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]