Diablo® III

Inferno Monk Guide

A few days ago I managed to solo all of Inferno and since then I have been getting spammed with with questions from fellow monk friends. Thus, I have decided to make a brief guide to help other monks through inferno.

Part 1-Resists
Resists are the key to any monk build as most of you know. Melee in general have an extreme disadvantage right now because skilled ranged classes can kite all day and don't need near the amount of resist we do. To put things into perspective, I had almost 1200 resist to all when soloing Diablo. Which leads to my next topic-how monks should gear and spec to maximize their resistance.

The key to resistances as a monk is using the passive One of Everything. This passive will allow you to get your resistances fairly high. The passive allows all your resistances to be equal to your highest one. Thus when gearing to abuse this passive, try to pick one element you want to stack (probably easiest if you pick the element you are already highest with) and look for gear that has resistance to that element on it and resist to all elements. So for instance, if fire resistance is your highest, if you get gear with 50 resistance to fire and 50 resistance to all elements, you are actually adding 100 resistance to all elements. As you can see for yourself, abusing this can really add up.

The next step to maximizing your resistance is using Mantra of Healing with the rune Time of Need. This will boost your resistance by 20%, which can be a very large number as your resistances get higher.

Part 2-Spec
The two specs I used for soloing are:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WYjXgQ!ZYU!ZacYYc
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bZjXgQ!aYU!aZcYYc

The first one is only for if you have your resists at a decent mark. It allows you to be in melee range and take hits. It is meant to reduce the amount of damage you take to a minimum. Please note though, even though we are a melee class, there is no amount of resist I have found that will let you continuously sit in melee range. You going to have to kite sometimes until your cooldowns come back up. My usual rotation against high level inferno mobs is to open with a blind-> serenity ->breath of heaven (to get your spirit back and heal) ->spam mantra of healing ->repeat. Also make sure to always have your ally up. For bosses this rotation is similar however I tend to save my blind and serenity to stop or avoid boss mechanics. Blind is also great if you need to get your ally back up.

The second spec is meant for people who are struggling with resist. This is a kite build. The idea is to have your ally up and use deadly reach to get hits in while running. If mobs get too close, use your lashing tail kick to peel and slow them down. This is also a great spec for most of the bosses in inferno.

As you can see I use ally in both builds. I think the ally is crucial because it takes aggro away from you, thus minimizing damage on you. Also the 10% HP boost is pretty nice.

Part 3-Gear
The order of stats you should focus on is:
1) Resists
2) Vitality
3) Dexterity
4) Attack Speed

I can not stress enough to focus on resists before anything else. When I soloed I only had 12k dps. DPS is not going to keep you alive. Once you have decent stats, my biggest suggestion to you is maximizing attack speed without sacrificing resists. When weapon shopping look for fists or daggers only which have a attack speed bonus on them. This is because the faster you attack, the faster you generate spirit. With an excess of spirit you will always have enough spirit to use your crucial skills when needed and be able to spam mantra of healing.

That is pretty much all the tips I have. The only other tip I have is that in regards to groups, I find that grouping with a barb is very beneficial. Ask him to use his resistance shout. When stacked with your mantra your resistances will get to absurd amount (2k to all resistances is doable). Since both of you will have low dps, ask him to go earthquake (and beserker too if has decent gear). With this combo you can pull whole zones and he can earthquake them down. If you have any questions or would like to add to this guide please feel free to post.

Guide Additions

Part 4-Farming
Since many of the posts claim that money seems to be an issue, I have decided to add a monk farming section to help. I will show you that it is possible to make 4 mil a day minimum.

The first run is for people that are struggling getting into Act 2. You won't make amazing gold but it will be enough to get the gear you need to start farming harder stuff.

1) Select Imprisoned Angel Quest-The Cursed Hold in Act 1.
2) Go to festering woods. There should be packs roaming outside the waypoint, if not locate the two caves. There is one pack per cave. Get 2 Stacks.
3) Once you have 2 stacks go to Halls of Agony Level 2. You should get at least one stack in here while finding the exit.
4) Enter the cursed hold, there should be at least 2 more packs in here which will cap you at 5. Free the prisoners and kill the warden.
5) Locate the butcher and kill any packs on the way.
6) Kill the butcher

Note: Doing this run will help you find some upgrades needed for Act 2. However, what you will find is a lot of it is garbage. You will however find resist to all elements gear which is your money maker. Many resist to all gear in Act 1 will sell for 200k minimum. Some rings I have found in there have even gone for a mil+.

The next run what I currently do to farm my gold. I average about 4 mil a day doing this run. The great thing is you don't need amazing gear for this run, just patience. However once gear comes this run can be done in about 30 min.

1) Select the quest Siegebreaker-Kill the Siegebreaker
2) Go to Rakkis Crossing to pick up tyreal. Clear all the mobs to seigebreaker. Most likely you will get a stack. If you see dungeon open called underbridge, go inside.
3)Clear all mobs in the underbridge and look for a chest. Make sure if you see the chest do not open it until you have 5 stacks.
4) Go to the keep depths level 1. As soon as you go to the WP, if you head out of the first room and you enter a giant room with fire, it is likely there is a chest there too. Again, do not open it until you 5 stacks. Proceed to get 2 stacks from level 1.
5) Once you get 2 stacks, port to town, go back to level 1 WP and go to keep depths level 2. Get 2 stacks. If you don't have 5 stacks by now port to town and go to level 3.
6) Go loot all the chests you left.
7) Kill seigebreaker

Now the reason why I say you do not need amazing gear for this and just patience...is that with Tyreal he can kill most of the rare packs. You can die, AFK for a few minutes and let him go to work. Please note, if the mobs are vampiric, shielding, or health link, you need to help him kill them. If you don't have the gear for it either skip them or pull them to the entrance and rez-> serenity->dps repeat....once you get gear you wont have to die at all. And trust me, in the end it is worth the repair bill starting out. The reason why I think act 3 is good, is because you can still get amazing loot from it and eventually the run times become fast. You can get 1h 1.1k dps weps (which are selling for 5 mil+). Many of the blues you get will be 700+ 1h which will sell for around 100k. And last, the resist gear I haven gotten has been as high as 70+ to all elements which with the right stats will sell for a few mil.
Edited by Badloop#1489 on 5/31/2012 7:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
We want something else,with your million gear you still do less than all other class.pls stop post ur success with million gear req. we all know resist important,we all know armed /speed important, pls just tell us we need buy gold directly to barely finish game
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Haojerry
We want something else,with your million gear you still do less than all other class.pls stop post ur success with million gear req. we all know resist important,we all know armed /speed important, pls just tell us we need buy gold directly to barely finish game

Less video games, more school.
Reply Quote
A

05/31/2012 02:45 PMPosted by waffel

Less video games, more school.

Actually we should work harder and buy gear w money
Reply Quote
posted by the ill tong xing lian he shang
Reply Quote
Actually I am not Chinese and I do not see why people need to be negative. You do not need million dollar gear. You can find budget resist gear that will suffice through the acts. And in regards to the post Monks do less than other classes...that is not true at all. I farm 3x faster than similar geared friends who are ranged...why? Because they still have to kite. As a monk, once you get the stats you need, with most mobs you will be able to have constant AOE dps and with minimal deaths.
Reply Quote
Sooo resists is better than armopr and a lots of vit ?
Reply Quote
When I do Mantra Of healing instead of gaining 20%, I only get 6%.
I go from 652 to 788 which is ~6% more resistance, so whats up with that?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
coz it adds 20% to your current resistance not 20% resistance.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
1 Breath of Heaven(Great Single or Multi Target Heal)
-Circle of Life
2 Serenity(Escape Tool + Great Heal)
-Peaceful Repose
3 Inner Sanctuary(Blocking/Escape Tool + Great Heal)
-Safe Haven
4 Mantra of Healing(Life Per Second + Increased LPS)
-Sustenance

Primary Attack Fist of Thunder(Good for quick in and out attacks + AoE)
-Thunderclap

Secondary Attack Sweeping Wind(Good AoE for Kiting)
-Bladestorm

Passives
-Sixth Sense(Increased Dodge)
-Seize the Initiative(Increased Armor by 100% Dex)
-Beacon of Ytar(15% Reduction on Cooldowns)

Use a shield, with this build you will have to time CDs correctly and learn to kite properly, it is good for both party and solo play, been using it and have not had any issues, good luck and happy hunting!!
Reply Quote
Can you give a basic range of resistances need for each act?

such as how much is needed to be comfortable?

im in act 2 with 574 resists to all (buffed) and im still getting destroyed. I am making progress, but i find it's because of my skills. How much should i be shooting for? how much dex should i give up for resists and vit?
Reply Quote
Have you tried dual wielding in Inferno with this build? I always had the idea that my monk would be some badass with two fist weapons but ever since I hit Inferno I've had to change to a 1H with a shield.
Reply Quote
Awesome guide! will make good use of it :) forget the haters, all they want is an easy way out.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
With the build I posted you can dual wield as long as you can kite properly, it will really depend on you stats though, resists and armor ect, I dual on bosses and some rare packs, really depends on what you are running into and where you are
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 04:21 PMPosted by Pipar
Sooo resists is better than armopr and a lots of vit ?

For the most part yes. Try to get gear with resists and vitality and you should be good. It's hard to dps as melee if you can't take hits.

Can you give a basic range of resistances need for each act?

such as how much is needed to be comfortable?

im in act 2 with 574 resists to all (buffed) and im still getting destroyed. I am making progress, but i find it's because of my skills. How much should i be shooting for? how much dex should i give up for resists and vit?

As you probably know Act 2 scaling is ridiculous compared to act 1. I think I started being able to take some hits in Act 2 at about 800 resists to all. But you really need 1000+ to farm it comfortably. 1000 may seem like a lot but with "One With Everything" passive it won't take you as long as you think. Don't be scared to sacrifice dexterity for resists and vitality. If you can afford gear with high dex, vit, and resists to all then go for it. Otherwise I think i was doing Act 2 with only 7k-8k dps. Even with my current setup now I don't even have 1000 dex. I will try to get some videos up if it will help. I still bring down packs pretty fast with only 12k dps.

Darktempest-I appreciate you showing your build. If anyone else has any other builds they want to post that have been successful for them please go ahead. It is nice seeing what other viable builds people are using.
Edited by Badloop#1489 on 5/31/2012 5:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks a lot for this guide man, exactly what I had been looking for:)

As for the above post talking about a million gear, You get there bit by bit. You just need to farm and have a little luck(or a mastercard)
Reply Quote
I have just read the guide, and i really dont understand all the negative answers - this is the first guide that explains everything from skills - stats -> without being too complicated :)
I have found some other nice guides aswell, but i seems stucked at the start of Inferno, and cant figure out, how to upgrade my gear from my current one ( Prior stats and such ) - so i look forward to try this !
//Sifinx#2482
Reply Quote
Go for Dex and Vit on your gear and have high evade and use dual wield. Dex ups your dmg and your evade.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
I have just read the guide, and i really dont understand all the negative answers - this is the first guide that explains everything from skills - stats -> without being too complicated :)
I have found some other nice guides aswell, but i seems stucked at the start of Inferno, and cant figure out, how to upgrade my gear from my current one ( Prior stats and such ) - so i look forward to try this !
//Sifinx#2482

That's because none of the guides you read actually work. Any monk, regardless of gear, gets one shot my some mobs in Act 3 and most mobs in Act 4. So anyone who has made it to and cleared Act 3 not only has a massive amount of resistance, dexterity, damage, armor, and vitality, but also relied 100% on the auction house (that kind of gear with those stats only drop in act 3-4) and had a massive amount of luck, even with their 10 minutes of kiting elites.

Anyone who has claimed to clear Act 4 as a Monk, solo, is a liar. There are a million "guides" out there, none of which come with any proof, and none of which have been tested and proven successful by other players beyond and through Acts 3-4.

That being said, absolutely none of this type of discussion is required by the other classes because they breeze through inferno using the same strategy (kiting/cc) with at least ten times the dps from a safe distance ("bad luck" aside).

The Monk class is CLEARLY broken and Act 2 and beyond is a joke. It's not a challenge of your skill - it's a test of your luck and how deep your wallets are. Nothing else.
Reply Quote
When I do Mantra Of healing instead of gaining 20%, I only get 6%.
I go from 652 to 788 which is ~6% more resistance, so whats up with that?

Was curious what high school you went to so when I have kids I can make sure not to send them there? Where do you get that 136 out of 652 is ~6%?

EDIT: I feel I should point out I get the 136 from 788-652... thats the actual increase you saw.
Edited by Slipstream#1323 on 5/31/2012 6:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]