Diablo® III

Monk Passives

06/01/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Decebal
no i had no need because if i say Hey these are my passives what do you think, telling me YOUR NOT HIGH LEVEL ENOUGH TO USE THOSE is probably the dumbest assumption a human being could make, why else would i list a 58 passive, because im lvl 12? great logic...

When you make a new character you don't think about what your end-game build will be? Great logic...
Edited by MattNo5ss#1850 on 6/1/2012 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Transcendence, as a lot of other people point out, is an excellent way to dump excess Spirit for health. Increases the longevity of your tanking capabilities, but ultimately useless if you get caught by something you shouldn't have (i.e. Desecrator, Arcane, Plague). Transcendence is basically a gear check. If you don't have enough spi regen to use it effectively, you're probably not in melee enough. If you're not in melee enough, you're probably running too much. If you're running too much, you're undergeared.

I disagree with this whole heartedly, I have (had at least when I was 55) incredibly good gear for my level, I just stack vitality and like i DID say earlier my play style is survivalist, I don't dump spirit for the fun of it I only use spirit when I see my health drop at all, which doesn't happen often anyway, so Transcendence I can promise you won't heal me for much, also as somebody said earlier it caps so utterly useless.

One With Everything is good when you're starting out through Hell and manage to find matching Resist gear. It sloughs off at around 400 resist, however, until you start finding Resist All + matching Resist gear. Getting up to 1000 resist becomes a lot easier and makes the passive the best possible passive available for us. I'll agree with the OP that this is an auto-lock.

agreed but right now I need to use it since I have a lot of +lightning resist

Seize the Initiative is also an important passive to have as it can attribute about 15-20% of your overall armor and thus increasing your damage mitigation. I know you're not stacking Dex right now, but that makes me wonder what kind of level 60 you are. In Hell and Inferno difficulties, champ packs have Enrage Timers and since Monks lack many offensive options, Dex is your best friend. Seize the Initiative makes being friends that much easier.

I'm a person who just got into hell and I grinded to 60 from 55 (when i finished NM) to be safe as many people have told me. I kill elites in under a minute every time, so i don't see why i would need to worry about the 7 minute enrage timer right now...Granted I should stated that I was in hell and not inferno, but I thank you for all the passive agressive words, especially since most are wrong (ie: at this current state i would need 2k dex to make it worth it with seize, I do not have anywhere near that nor any other stats for that matter)

NDE is a great idea on paper, especially for Hardcore, since it sounds like a get-out-jail-free card. And it is. It's a great answer to very unexpected occurrences, like an errant Mortar shot or if you were just a bit too slow to hit Serenity on a kill blow. Ideally, however, you want to know the kind of damage that is coming your way and MITIGATE it. For a lot of experienced HC Monks, death won't come to the hands of the unexpected, but rather, the unavoidable--like being knockbacked against a wall and then having the champs surround you so that escape is impossible. NDE won't save you in a situation like that.

I agree with this statement as I said before, I am still trying to decide but I guess you are right on the fact that what will kill me will probably be unstoppable, but then again I am probably dead anyway and I'd have to say that lag is probably the biggest killer from what my friends have died from. Either way I think I will prob switch back to seize, thanks.

That pretty much covers it for Resolve. If you're running, you're not hitting. If you're not hitting, Resolve is useless... HOWEVER! LTK:Hand of Ytar and WoL:Empowered Wave are nice ways to use Resolve for teammates who are about to take damage.

I agree but I am rarely "not hitting", especially since you can make the same argument for crippling wave with concussion which I find essential, also I use dashing strike for mobility so whenever I am in an OH SH-T position i get out, I'd have to see how things scale but honestly transc would not be better than 25% dmg reduction imo, i'd prob switch out resolve for NDE in the worst case scenario
Reply Quote
Don't listen to these guys.. use the resist passive..

in Hell and Inferno you are as good as dead without resists
Reply Quote
Chant of Resonance. Yes, treating the mantra as an on-going aura is dumb. But the 2Spi/second is amazing. ESPECIALLY when passive spirit generation is next to non-existent. ESPECIALLY when you're running away and need just a bit spirit to cast that Breath of Light/Serenity to buy you a couple seconds until you pot and jump back into the fray. And ESPECIALLY when you're forced to build as a kite/tank monk in Inferno and have a Wiz and DH as your primary sources of dps.

Still completely terrible compared to the rest of passives, also to get a 50 spirit spell id have to run around for 25 seconds and magically not get hit once to make it worth it...and you were talking about enrage timers lol...also by that logic a piece of gear (very common) with +2 spirit is worth a passive slot...

thank you for your advice though, you were definitely the most helpful

06/01/2012 02:22 PMPosted by MattNo5ss
When you make a new character you don't think about what your end-game build will be? Great logic...

um so if you assumed that I was just speaking about what I want to do at higher levels (again a baseless assumption) then why in teh world would you be telling me about what I should be doing at lower levels and that I don't get NDE until 58, great logic you must be in Special Ed

Don't listen to these guys.. use the resist passive..

in Hell and Inferno you are as good as dead without resists

yes but when I get full +resist All gear it will be useless so sooner or later i will replace it
Edited by Decebal#1484 on 6/1/2012 5:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i sue transcendence, NDE, and all with one or whatever.

NDE is too good to not use...

seize initiative is only like 1k armor, but really... 1k armor or a second chance? think about it.
Reply Quote
i sue transcendence, NDE, and all with one or whatever.

NDE is too good to not use...

seize initiative is only like 1k armor, but really... 1k armor or a second chance? think about it.

that's my outlook on it, also the +30% health and spirit is just ridiculous thats pretty much a guaranteed CYA, or a kill
Edited by Decebal#1484 on 6/1/2012 5:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote

NDE is a great idea on paper, especially for Hardcore, since it sounds like a get-out-jail-free card. And it is. It's a great answer to very unexpected occurrences, like an errant Mortar shot or if you were just a bit too slow to hit Serenity on a kill blow. Ideally, however, you want to know the kind of damage that is coming your way and MITIGATE it. For a lot of experienced HC Monks, death won't come to the hands of the unexpected, but rather, the unavoidable--like being knockbacked against a wall and then having the champs surround you so that escape is impossible. NDE won't save you in a situation like that.

not true at all. NDE has saved me once in hell, and 10+ times in inferno.

I have always got away and haven't died since using this passive.

NDE has a knock back, thus giving you room to run. you also have enough spirit to get to ~40% life, potion to get to 60% or so, and you are free, running.

please HC monks, if you want to progress through a1 inferno and beyond, use NDE.
Reply Quote
not true at all. NDE has saved me once in hell, and 10+ times in inferno.

I have always got away and haven't died since using this passive.

NDE has a knock back, thus giving you room to run. you also have enough spirit to get to ~40% life, potion to get to 60% or so, and you are free, running.

please HC monks, if you want to progress through a1 inferno and beyond, use NDE.

I did not know about the knockback, that makes it sound even more appealing
Reply Quote
it is really good... NDE will always be a passive for me, there is no other passive good enough to NOT use it. even if you are gridning content below your gear, you just NEVER know.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]