Diablo® III

so.. 800-900 dps 1 hand.. or 1200 dps 2 hand?

Soo.. i was planning on sharing my 975 dps 1 hand my monk was using with 1.70 attack speed.. then realized it was a monk only fist weapon.. so now im strapped for cash and wondering what is better?

Should i buy a 800-900 dps 1 hand or a 1200ish dps 2 hand for the same price?

(if one hand.. im assuming i can buy a relatively good source for ~100-200k)

Thanks guys
Reply Quote
get a 1h. trust me. I had a 950 2h for a while, with good IAS, it was so slow. I just switched to a 1h (make sure it has good ias, even if it has lower dps 700~) and source, my dps is faster, better, and I have more crit/arcane power thanks to my source. much better combo for kiting and killing elite packs thanks to the speed.
Reply Quote
If you get a 800-900 dps 1hand with a good OH, it will probably be better. The reason is that even if the actual DPS is slightly lower, you also get more stats out of it. More int, crit chance/dmg, etc. You can also get other useful benefits like more vit or chance on hits. Lastly, all other things equal, the casting speed will certainly not hurt you.

It also just depends on your build though. I wouldn't use my current build (arcane orb/hydra) with a 1H+OH. AP is the limiting factor, not cast speed. So my actual damage output would be less. I have a 1140 DPS 2H at the moment with 1500 int and my damage output is 37k when all is said and done. My arcane orbs can crit for 80k and my hydra can insta-gib most mobs in A2 Inferno. This doesn't mean it's not better to have 1H+OH and just use a different build though.

Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
interesting...

thats my dilemma.. as i know having a 1200ish dps 2 hand will make your hydra/everything hit harder... however having higher attack speed would mean attacking more.. and easier kiting for elites.. not sure which way to lean without screwing myself in the long run haha....

i think i am leaning towards higher attack speed to get more attacks off being pulling back.
Reply Quote
It depends on your build. If you run Blizz/Hydra predominantly then go 2h.

Don't just look for high DPS though, make sure you get a high minimum damage, that's more important then the total DPS.

Look for a slow 2h weapon with no IAS on it, avoid bows and swords as they have low min damage and your damage variance will be terrible.

If you are unsure about which way to go, buy very cheap blues of comparable damage and go to a lower difficulty to test your damage and variance.

I have found that I prefer a much higher damage per cast with a slow cast to a higher damage per second with fast cast.

For defense I have 18% run speed, Teleport, Diamond Skin and Force Armor.
Reply Quote
It depends on your build. If you run Blizz/Hydra predominantly then go 2h.

Don't just look for high DPS though, make sure you get a high minimum damage, that's more important then the total DPS.

Look for a slow 2h weapon with no IAS on it, avoid bows and swords as they have low min damage and your damage variance will be terrible.

If you are unsure about which way to go, buy very cheap blues of comparable damage and go to a lower difficulty to test your damage and variance.

I have found that I prefer a much higher damage per cast with a slow cast to a higher damage per second with fast cast.

For defense I have 18% run speed, Teleport, Diamond Skin and Force Armor.

Why?
Blizzard does 35% of weapon damage per second.
venom Hydra does 138% of weapon dps per second.

Why would you use a 2hander to max your blizzard dps instead of faster cast/higher dps to max hydra dps?
Reply Quote
[quote]
Why?
Blizzard does 35% of weapon damage per second.
venom Hydra does 138% of weapon dps per second.

Why would you use a 2hander to max your blizzard dps instead of faster cast/higher dps to max hydra dps?

Because I've played (and tested) both syles and I prefer to have the higher Blizzard damage whilst kiting. I keep a decent 1h/orb combo in my inventory to switch to if I need to stack pools on less mobile targets.

I also use Cold Blood RoF as my non-signature signature, with 1 attack/second I can channel all day.

Main strategy is to Blizz/Hydra kite and channel RoF at choke points. Some mobs are too fast for RoF use, then you just kite.

Everyone just looks at the listed "damage" on your inventory screen without taking into consideration what spells they are primarily doing damage with. It's funny to see a 65k damage Wizard with 3 attacks per second not understand why their Blizzard damage is so low.

EDIT: For full disclosure I am currently clearing the Tower of the Damned, Act 3 Inferno, with very little difficulty. Though pack of "fast" Soul Rippers can be a bit hard to deal with depending on other affixes.
Edited by Scopes#1659 on 6/4/2012 8:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Any good wizard will be using 1h/OH combos with over 2.2 APS.
Reply Quote
What are you talking about the highest attack speed Of a 1 hand is a dagger at 1.5 highest attack speed of a two hand is a bow at 1.64 how are one handsets faster?
Reply Quote
06/04/2012 08:24 AMPosted by artur1992
What are you talking about the highest attack speed Of a 1 hand is a dagger at 1.5 highest attack speed of a two hand is a bow at 1.64 how are one handsets faster?

Obviously I meant with Rings/Neck and other AS pieces, but I guess it wasn't clear enough so I apologize.
Reply Quote
Undergeared here, but I made the swap this weekend.

I was using a 1070 dps, .9 attacks per second hammer. I swapped to a 991 dps, 1.5 attacks-per-second weapon I nabbed on the AH for just shy of 2 million (similar DPS weapons around it were 3.5-5 million, so I was pretty excited). Nabbed a 90-280 OH as well.

My char-sheet dps lept from 25k to about 40k with some attack speed items and Act 1 inferno magically became trivial.

The ability to dump my AP fast, regen it rapidly with a constant stream of critting signature spells, and move-cast-move-cast-move-cast was a game changer. I absolutely noticed a difference with a rapid cast speed and totally recommend the style of game play.
Reply Quote
06/04/2012 08:22 AMPosted by Hysteria
Any good wizard will be using 1h/OH combos with over 2.2 APS.

Yes, keep doing this so that I can get great deals on those 2 handers. :)
Reply Quote
I switched from a bow to a 1 hander same +as but my attack speed went down from 2.54 to 2.36
Reply Quote
The bow had Max attacks on it 1.64 the dagger had the highest I found 1.5
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]