Diablo® III

Crafting and Artisan Guides

Hey everyone! Let me start off by introducing myself, I am Almar of AlmarsGuides.com, a popular gaming website that hosts guides for primarily MMORPGs. I have been playing Diablo since beta and never really shared any of the guides I made on the forums. I have shared a few but there are plenty more of which I could post!

These two guides I am about to go into are for noobies and noobies only. A veteran or a level 60 that knows everything about crafting won't benefit from reading them all that much but if you're new and looking to learn, I got you covered!

I am going to post links to both guides and then also post the actual guide (can't post pictures though) so you don't HAVE to go to my website if you don't want too. But if you do, awesome!

Diablo 3 Jeweler Artisan

http://almarsguides.com/diablo3/professions/jeweler/

The Jewelcrafting Profession in Diablo 3 allows players to combine lower quality gems together to make higher quality gems and also allows players to unsocket items without the item itself being destroyed in the end result. Players won't have the option to make any gems until sometime during Act 2 when this profession is unlocked by following the main quest line. Jewelcrafting works much the same way that Blacksmithing does in the fact that the Artisan does all of the crafting, the player just has to kick back and wait.

Covetus Shen, the Jeweler, has many different ranks of his Jewelcrafting Profession, much like the Blacksmith. However, the Jeweler is much cheaper and easier to raise up through the ranks as there is really only one or two per difficulty. Much like Blacksmithing you will need Pages of Jewelcrafting and Tomes of Jewelcrafting to raise this Profession. During the final difficulty; (Inferno) they both share the same material, Tomb of Secrets.

The Jewelcrafting Profession is a great Profession to raise because they have something good for everybody! Any item with a socket can be made better by the Jeweler. Especially if you're a lower level player since gems have absolutely no level restrictions you can put a +30 some Vitality gem in a level 10 item and be running around like a boss!

Here is an example of an ingame combine you can do at the Jeweler. I just want to bring your attention to the materials and the cost to combine everything. As you can see the materials are 3 gems of a lesser quality, 2 Tomes of Jewelcrafting and 20k. The price to complete all of these combines is pretty ridiculous and in all honesty unless Blizzard lowers the prices I recommend just buying the gems off the Auction House. A gem of this same quality I can buy for 6k and save myself the horrible combine prices.

<picture>

The more useful perk to the Jeweler is being able to unsocket your gems! You can unsocket your gems one of two ways in Diablo 3. One is to Salvage the item you have at the Blacksmith, you'll get your gem back for free but the items will be destroyed. The second way is to visit the Jeweler and allow him to unsocket your gem. This will cost a bit of money (as seen in the picture below) but will allow you to get your item and the gem back without losing either!

<Picture>

At first I thought Jewelcrafting didn't seem that useful as the amount it costs to create gems wasn't worth spending with having to buy new gear as well. Once I hit Inferno I realized how important gems were since at that point in the game gems start to give you crazy good stats. Throughout the whole game I recommend you save your gems and eventually convert them all up to something good. At least that's how I usually do things. Now since I really can't think of all that much more to say, here are the four different types of gems available to you in Diablo 3 and further down are examples of the different types of gems in the game.

Amethyst (Vitality - Life)
Emerald (Dexterity)
Ruby (Strength)
Topaz (Intelligence)

I think that sums up everything there is to say about Jewelers in Diablo 3 and all the fun things they can do. In closing, as promised earlier, here are a few of the gems you can get later on in the game in late Hell/early Inferno. It's a little insentive showing you just how good some of the gems in the game can be!

<Pictures>
Edited by Almar#1776 on 6/6/2012 6:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Blacksmithing Artisan Guide

http://almarsguides.com/diablo3/professions/blacksmithing/

Blacksmithing is the first profession players will come across in Diablo 3. It is unlocked through helping Haedrig Eamon with his quest during Act 1. You will be around level 5 or 6 by the time you unlock Blacksmithing (Usually about an hour into the game). At the very start there isn't much available to you via Blacksmithing. There are a few basic patterns which you can craft but you will need to unlock more by spending gold at the Blacksmith to raise his proficiency (see below for more information on this).

One of the key points of Blacksmithing that promotes is you won't have to create any of the items yourself. In order to craft an item you will need to visit the Blacksmithing Artisan that follows you around from town to town and pay him a specific amount of gold. He will take care of the rest. There are 10 levels in all for each of the 3 different professions in Diablo 3. In order to raise your Artisan profession up you will need gold to train until the Nightmare act at which point you will need Pages of Blacksmithing as well. Once you reach Hell you will need Tomes of Blacksmithing and then once you reach Inferno difficulty you will need Tome of Secrets.

All of the materials used in crafting in Diablo 3 are gained through Salvaging. There are different salvaged materials for each different difficult of Diablo. More information on this is below as for now here is a picture of the Blacksmithing Training Window.

<picture>

I am currently on the second level of Blacksmithing in that picture. As you progress upwards through the levels of Blacksmithing it will become more and more costly and you will be able to craft more and more powerful items and weapons. The items you can craft through Blacksmithing are mostly random but they do have some set in stone stats like their armor class. What I mean by random is that when you choose to craft a certain item you will know the type of armor you're getting, it's armor class (AC) and how many extra magical properties will be on it.

Here is a picture of a pair of boots you can make early on in Blacksmithing. These boots are equal to a pair of magical boots that you can find at that level from a named or rare mob. Notice how at the bottom of the craft window it says "+2 Random Magic Properties"? This is what I mean by it will give you a random enchantment on the boots. This random enchantment could be either extremely useful or completely worthless to you. It's all luck. Worse comes to worse if you don't like the outcome of the item you can always Salvage it for some materials back and try again.

Further down this page I will show you some pictures of crafted items. (If you are having trouble viewing the below image click to enlarge it)

<Picture>

The items it takes to make these items through Blacksmithing depend entirely on the item you want to make. From what I have seen the most common reagents in making items are Subtle Essences. These items are acquired through Salvaging other magical items at the Blacksmithing trainer. Every magical item you come across that you don't want you should Salvage to get a good base of these items for the time being. Eventually you will want to sell the items instead but I will allow you to decide when it is time to make that transition.

From what I have seen most of the earlier recipes only require 4 to 10 Subtle Essences but a lot of the recipes you get from Journeyman Blacksmithing require more Subtle Essences even going up into the 20s. Also from my experience you will only get 1 Subtle Essence per magic item that you salvage. Luckily magic items are fairly common especially if you have have gear with an increased percentage to find Magical Items. If you come across a rare item and salvage it you will be rewarded with a Fallen Tooth as well as a Subtle Essence. Also you can get a Fallen Tooth from salvaging a normal magical item but it is much more rare.

There are more Crafting Materials for you to find as you level up through Diablo 3, each new difficulty of the game adding in a new set of crafting materials. As a few examples in Nightmare mode Shimmering Essence takes place of Subtle Essences and Lizard Eye takes place of Fallen Tooths. In Hell Wishful Essence takes place of Shimmering Essences and Encrusted Hoof takes the place of Lizard Eye. A good writeup for these materials is on Diablo 3's Crafting Materials Page.

<Another pretty picture>
Edited by Almar#1776 on 6/6/2012 6:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
That is all I can think of for getting you started with Blacksmithing. Remember this isn't an indepth guide that tells you how to get the best gear ever through the profession but more a guide to get you started with it. I will add another more advanced guide later which this page will then link to. For now we are all noobs and could use the basics. Also as promised below I have put together a few pictures of the gear you can make through Blacksmithing. This should show you some of the goodies that you can make through Blacksmithing.

<More pictures>

I hope you guys like these guides, if you have any comments or suggestions feel free to let me know, I also enjoy hearing from people!
Reply Quote
Jeweler sucks dogs for quarters at low levels (you said it was the best for lower levels.) Just the crafting cost is 3-4 times higher than just finding the gem on the AH + dosn't require 3 gems and pages/tomes.
Reply Quote
Okay oh well known oracle of knowledge, here is my question: how does one go about taking pages of jewel craft and combining them to make tomes of knowledge. It's easy in blacksmithing, but can it be done in jewelery?
Edited by enderbc#1679 on 1/17/2013 8:44 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]