Diablo® III

Barbarian Build

Hey guys, what dou think about this build for a barbarian:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WcSVkR!Vbd!ZZcaab

Maybe change the secondary to Wrath of the Berseker
Edited by vlaco#2681 on 6/6/2012 11:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
what level are you?

In my experience Rend is completely useless. Healing from Rend is marginal and it is a big fury spender

I use Leap with the Armor rune instead of Ignore Pain as suggested by Squigglez

Bloodthirst gives a laughable amount of life steal. Say you have 1000 DPS. If you are hitting something every second, you are lifestealing 30 HP. Even with Frenzy on full speed, you are life stealing like 50 HP per second. At 1000 DPS, you would probably have 15,000 HP at the least. So you are realistically life stealing 0.3% a second. That's a joke. Bloodthirst is a waste of a passive slot

I finally broke down and tried out WotB last night, and it's an awesome skill. The CD is ridiculous, but it's great against Champ packs (I'm in NM act II now).
Reply Quote
Rend is marginal and pointless if you're up against one, two, or even three enemies. Several times, you are surrounded by enemies. The more enemies around you, say, after a Ground Stomp w/ Wrenching Smash, the more damage you do, thus, the more you'll heal. It's easy to have at least 8,9,10, or more enemies around you after GS w/ WS.

With a 1000dps weapon, Rend will net you (over 3 seconds) a certain amount of life per damage done, which means the more monsters around you, the more Life Steal.

1 monster = 189 heal
2 monsters = 378 heal
3 monsters = 567 heal
4 monsters = 756 heal
5 monsters = 945 heal
6 monsters = 1134 heal
7 monsters = 1323 heal
8 monsters = 1512 heal
9 monsters = 1701 heal
10 monsters = 1890 heal

This skill will benefit from any +dmg% skills and items. If you plan on having your HP pool dependent on how much damage you deal out, then your items should reflect this strategy by prioritizing Strength, Damage, IAS, etc etc. The more damage you do, the more you'll heal. You've this build up that way, so make sure you have appropriate items and weapons. Perhaps Battle Rage with Marauder's Rage would complement this build? since...more damage, means more heal and all that.

Personally, I switch out Furious Charge for Ground Stomp with Wrenching Smash. There are no enemies in a straight line, and you'll probably hit several at a time, yes, but generally only the enemies that happen to be in your line of movement. Instead, bring ALL the nearby enemies close to you and Rend their asses. Not to mention, doing damage/healing is great, but what's better is when enemies don't hit you at all. Ground Stomp will Stun them, making them useless, which will def come in Handy as a hardcore character.

EDIT: To clarify a bit further, the post above mine is in no way incorrect. Take a look again at those numbers I posted. If you were surrounded by 10 enemies, you'll heal basically over 1800hp over 3 seconds. It IS marginal if you're HP pool is like 30,000 or more or something like that. 1800hp is nothing almost. If you're HP pool is lower than ~12k, then Rend will be great because you'll heal a good deal of life back. It just depends on how much Life you have. I personally, would go with tons of life and armor than healing runes.
Edited by Roscoe#1924 on 6/6/2012 1:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Roscoe
To clarify a bit further, the post above mine is in no way incorrect. Take a look again at those numbers I posted. If you were surrounded by 10 enemies, you'll heal basically over 1800hp over 3 seconds. It IS marginal if you're HP pool is like 30,000 or more or something like that. 1800hp is nothing almost. If you're HP pool is lower than ~12k, then Rend will be great because you'll heal a good deal of life back. It just depends on how much Life you have. I personally, would go with tons of life and armor than healing runes.

Take the following steps in order:

1. Learn some English

2. Read my post again

3. Realize that I was not talking about Rend, but about Bloodthirst

4. Feel like a retard

WRT to your post, even with 10 monsters surrounding you, you are healing at 630 HP/second with Rend. With a 15,000 HP pool, that's nothing to write home about (4% of total HP a second). Now if you Rend 5 times in a row against 10 enemies, if none of them die, you can get a good amount of healing.

However, if you are surrounded by 10 enemies, they are probably just regular trash, and you don't need to worry about healing to begin with. Fighting champion packs is the trick. If you are surrounded by champ mobs beyond Normal, you are going to die and Rend is not going to save you.

Bottom line, Rend is useless (in my very humble opinion).

I also dropped ground stomp the other day after talking to a barb who made it to Act I Inferno. Mobs in Hell/Inferno get a ton of resistance against Stun. I replaced it with WotB

Furious Charge and Leap are both invaluable skills that make the Barb the most mobile character in the game. I use both, but using at least 1 is imperative in my opinion.
Reply Quote

Furious Charge and Leap are both invaluable skills that make the Barb the most mobile character in the game. I use both, but using at least 1 is imperative in my opinion.

Mind sharing your build? I'm only level 30 at the moment with my barb, so I'll keep in Ground Stomp for now, but I'd be interested to see what people use later on.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
Agree with Omakar on everything.

Finished up NM on my Barb, been great so far, but as has been mentioned, Ground Stomp will probably get replaced by Warcry or charge later.

Frenzy (Sidearm)
Revenge (Heal Rune)
Leap (iron impact)
Ground Stomp (pull everyone in)
Threatening Shout (slow attack Speed)
WOTB (insanity)
(Also run Superstition Passive, and wrath of beserker because I have no fury spenders)
Reply Quote
Doesn't WOTB cost 50 Fury?
Reply Quote
Your talk about his decision to use Rend in your first statement. Yea, you did speak of Rend. Read your own post again. I elaborated on it. By the time you have a 15k hp pool and have a 1000dps weapon, you'll have tons of strength. This strength, as we all know, increases damage. Since we were just talking about weapon damage, lets bring up the real Damage rating of the character. What a typical Barb damage rating? 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k, 50k? If you can dish out 30k damage to 5 Champs and heal for 9% of that damage, you're looking at 13,500 hp heal. (4,500/sec)

Your numbers are correct, but your interpretation is rather short sighted.

Could you please make another clever list of examples concerning my horrible English skills? Or are you nit picking because your feelings were hurt that someone opposed your view?

I'm going with the latter.
Edited by Roscoe#1924 on 6/6/2012 8:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My barb is only 38, so I can't say much. I can say that running http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WQYXVk!cZY!aZZaZa with a two handed mace/hamma is friken fun right now.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WVkPRS!bce!aabZZZ

My build at level 46. Focus is on surviving and tanking elites. Use Iron Hide whenever health starts to drop at all and WotB for counter to freeze attacks. I haven't had to use a single health pot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]