Diablo® III

Help - latency/lag spike problem!

Hey all,
I am having problems with unstable latency/lag, the game is currently unplayable. My latency when the game is running good is around 110-200 mbps. Very randomly the game will spike in latency to anywhere between 1100-2000mbps. This lag "episode" usually lasts anywhere between 30secs-2minutes and is entirely debilitating. When it clears i am usually dead(if i was fighting). Here are some of my personal key points:
-This problem started after patch 1.0.2a I used to play for hours no problem
-Although some fps/animation improvements have been made after patch 1.0.2b The very same problem still exists
-I have thoroughly checked my internet connection and don't believe that to be source of problem. It is wireless, but i always have a strong signal when spikes occur

-My brother and i have identical imacs, bought same day years ago, heres spec:
iMac7,1
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 Ghz processor
Memory: 2GB
Bus Speed 800 MHz
Chipset Model: ATI, RadeonHD2600
*Now, he and I both play diablo3 since launch without issues, we have identical hardware and he hasn't had a single problem, the only notable difference is that he has been running in Lion OSX and i have been running in Snow Leopard. That said i'm installing Lion now to see if it will resolve the issue.

-I understand that tweaking system settings/clearing cache may have been helpful to some, however i strongly feel that the problem is in the patching somehow **Because the game always worked flawlessly before 1.0.2a
-If the OSX upgrade doesn't help i guess its some anomalous difference between mine and his comp that is causing a playability differential

*Blizzard please look into this particular issue of mine, it is based around latency swings and not just fps. It is also random not just while in combat like many have mentioned. Something else that is notable is that i get dropped from the server sometimes with an error message, this always happens following a "lag episode"
Thanks blizzard you guys are the best and you have my continuing support!!!
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
As a test, have you tried to see if the same thing happens when you are connected via Ethernet? Wireless can be unstable at times.

We are investigating this, but need to know if the issue happens when running via Ethernet.
Edited by Machkhan on 6/7/2012 9:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
My spikes happen in battles, both on my wireless MBP as well as my ethernet-connected MP.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I also use Ethernet and this problem happens so much I've stopped playing until a new fix is released.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
This thread is talking about latency spikes, not FPS spiking.
Reply Quote
06/07/2012 09:41 AMPosted by Machkhan

Getting both now. :)

FPS drops as well as the latency spikes where all action ceases (wiff, wiff, wiff... "why is nothing being hit and no one is moving" - spikes)
Edited by Sproutfoot#1531 on 6/7/2012 9:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
06/07/2012 09:41 AMPosted by Machkhan

Shouldn't you be trying to fix these problems instead of stating the obvious to a customer thats already extremely frustrated with your product?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
We don't want to mix issues in the same thread. We have other threads that we are looking at for FPS spiking. Hijacking a thread derails the topic.

If you are having FPS spiking issues, we're gathering information in this thread. Posting in a thread that doesn't deal with the same issue is not productive for troubleshooting.
Reply Quote
Change your maximum foreground and background to whatever your most common FR is :-)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Well it seems like it could be both and I wasn't trying to hijack this thread by stating that I also use Ethernet and i'm having the same issues.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Druid
I have been having the same issue with lag spikes since I first started playing the game. I will have low latency (140-200ms) but my latency will spike sometimes randomly or when I engage in a fight. I have had latency upwards of 1500ms. It will persist for 1-5 seconds usually.

I thought it might be on my end so I performed the following:

- Opened ports advised by Blizzard on my router and my computers firewall.
    - Speed test of my ISP and it had 30-40ms, 15meg down speed and 1.5meg up speed.
    - Pinged my machine, found latency to be normal
    - Pinged some outside websites, found latency to be normal
    - Normally use a wireless connection, plugged into an ethernet connection still had lag spikes

After testing all of this I am fairly confident the latency issue is not happening on my end. I hope this information helps with this problem.
Reply Quote
Thanks for info everyone
It is an annoying process for me to hook up with the wire ethernet. I have a very strong feeling this wouldn't resolve the issue, and some of the comments here support that as well. I just had surgery and it just isn't a good time for me to be hooking that up. The correlation between the new patches and the start of my issues is far too coincidental to point to my setup.
I haven't been able to get lion up and running on my machine bc i currently have a windows partition that is creating a conflict. Therefore i can not rule that out as a cause.
Hopefully the problem is in the video game coding associated with those new patches and you guys find the issues and smooth em out.
Thanks
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Druid
I ran some larger ping samples on my machine and I did find latency spikes that were almost the same as in game. I used my other machine and ran the same ping sample size with no spikes in latency. So in my case I determined that after all it was on my side and not client side.

I have windows 7 as my os and decided to look at my wireless adapters driver. I found that it was an older driver. Linksys did not have an up to date driver for windows 7. After checking my windows updates I did notice the chipset maker Ralink had an updated driver. I installed it and ran another ping sample. No latency spike this time.

Fired up Diablo and have been playing for 30 minutes now with no latency spikes.

I am sure this is not the same issue everyone is having but I guess seeing if your adapter driver is up to date is one more thing to check. Good luck to everyone who is still having the latency spikes!

**Will update sometime in the next day or two to confirm this fixed my in game latency spikes
Reply Quote
I have a question:

I can play D3 on my PC laptop just fine (Toshiba with Windows XP...work comp) no latency at all but when I try it on my Mac Pro I get latency and cannot play. Same internet wireless at my house for both machines one plays the other won't. Not sure what the issue is. My MacPro is thus:

2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
ATI Radeon HD 5770

I am not running Lion but Snow Leopard 10.6.8 all updated.

Any suggestions as to problem?
Thanks
Joe
Reply Quote
I have the same issues as LasPlagas but sometimes the latency is even longer then 2 minutes.
I have an iMac with Lion OS 10.7.4; Intel Core i3 @ 3.20 GHz, 4.0 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB graphics card, 21 inch iMac.
I reseted my router, computer, and settings. I've updated everything and opened all the firewall ports for Diablo 3.

I'm still experiencing really bad connection latency though.

"LasPlagas
Hey all,
I am having problems with unstable latency/lag, the game is currently unplayable. My latency when the game is running good is around 110-200 mbps. Very randomly the game will spike in latency to anywhere between 1100-2000mbps. This lag "episode" usually lasts anywhere between 30secs-2minutes and is entirely debilitating. When it clears i am usually dead(if i was fighting). Here are some of my personal key points:
-This problem started after patch 1.0.2a I used to play for hours no problem
-Although some fps/animation improvements have been made after patch 1.0.2b The very same problem still exists
-I have thoroughly checked my internet connection and don't believe that to be source of problem. It is wireless, but i always have a strong signal when spikes occur

-My brother and i have identical imacs, bought same day years ago, heres spec:
iMac7,1
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 Ghz processor
Memory: 2GB
Bus Speed 800 MHz
Chipset Model: ATI, RadeonHD2600
*Now, he and I both play diablo3 since launch without issues, we have identical hardware and he hasn't had a single problem, the only notable difference is that he has been running in Lion OSX and i have been running in Snow Leopard. That said i'm installing Lion now to see if it will resolve the issue.

-I understand that tweaking system settings/clearing cache may have been helpful to some, however i strongly feel that the problem is in the patching somehow **Because the game always worked flawlessly before 1.0.2a
-If the OSX upgrade doesn't help i guess its some anomalous difference between mine and his comp that is causing a playability differential

*Blizzard please look into this particular issue of mine, it is based around latency swings and not just fps. It is also random not just while in combat like many have mentioned. Something else that is notable is that i get dropped from the server sometimes with an error message, this always happens following a "lag episode"
Thanks blizzard you guys are the best and you have my continuing support!!!"
Reply Quote
Hello Machkhan, Im also experimenting Lag Spikes.. Hers what I can tell you
-It only happends on fights
-It only happends when in a group(regardless of the amount of ppl in my party, and regarless wether the were my friends or pugs)
-It appends on Ethernet, USB and Wifi connectivity

Its seems the stress of fighting while in a group lag us really bad after we finish any mobs the lag settles down.. Its really annoying and this started since 1.0.2b please help...
Reply Quote
Hey Machkhan,
I would like to update you on my situation regarding the latency fluctuation i mentioned earlier.
-I have hooked up to the ethernet with a cable now
-I have since upgraded to OS X Lion 10.7.4

Now, the latency problem isn't fixed BUT it is much better and the game is playable
-latency range w/ wifi 120-1500 (lag lasting up to 2 minutes)
-latency range w/ethernet 100-600 (lag lasting ~5secs)

*I am now also noticing a pretty significant drop in fps during busy encounters.
Do you think the problem is on my end or in the patch or something?
*Note: i was always able to play w/ wifi after release UNTIL patch 1.0.2
Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
@Lasplagas It has to do with the patch. It created more issue's for mac users than actually fixing anything. The game went from somewhat playable to completely unplayable.
Reply Quote
This problem is not only limited to mac users, I am using windows 7 64bit and experiencing similar issues. Please also note that i am using a PC, have no wireless connection, so I'm using Ethernet. During release the game ran great (no lag). While playing recently issues started to snow ball, up until getting huge MS drops up to 1k->2k and disconnects every half hour or so. (sorry to be off topic, but that's the chain of events.)
Edited by Ikthel#1391 on 6/10/2012 1:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]