Diablo® III

Help - latency/lag spike problem!

Blizzard Employee
We're investigating the latency issues along with the cycling FPS issue now. These are being investigated separately but I'll post back when I find out more.
Reply Quote
This latency is horse!@#$!
Reply Quote
I tried it in both Mac and Windows 7, but i'm still having latencies higher than 1000ms for the past 2days. When i log in, it's working fine. But after about 30seconds, my latency from 100-200ms, turns to about 1000-3000ms. i did everything. Even tried using ethernet instead of wifi. Still no luck. :(
Reply Quote
It is definitely some sort of problem with either the mac client, or the game itself, though my PC buddies do not complain about it.

I experience the EXACT same problem when playing, I randomly get spikes into the 1200's for latency, when my typical latency is around 200 ish.

The spike happens, then it settles, and then it happens again.

It is very annoying.
Reply Quote
this issue isn't related to just Mac's...I have the same problem with my PC. Started right after the last update. Haven't had a decent battle since. Latency spikes up to 2000+ and sometimes never comes back to a playable range.
Reply Quote
This makes me really happy to read. I bought a new router and am on the verge of changing ISP's because of this. I tried trouble-shooting the old and new WiFi's, and was on the phone with Apple for at least an hour yesterday.

I hate to say it, but this might be a Mac problem, and not a Blizzard problem. ; /
Reply Quote
As i said, I also have my bro's windows 7. I tried it there, and still the same results. After 30seconds logging into the game, i'd get 2000ms lag spikes. Then it goes back down at about 300-400ms. But 300ms isn't really playable.

Tried playing other games like League of Legends and WOW, they all have good latencies and no lag. All my Net-related things on the computer work well except for Diablo.

Edit: Just logged in, the latency's fine. 90-200ms and playable! :D

Edit Again: after 2hours of playing, the latency keeps going up to about 700ms. or even more.
Edited by Raikariel#1480 on 6/11/2012 5:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I hate to say it, but this might be a Mac problem, and not a Blizzard problem. ; /

I hate to say it, but it is clearly not a mac problem. Things were fine before the patch, and both platforms are suffering since it was rolled out.
Reply Quote
Im on a HP laptop running win 7 and have had extremely bad latency which has almost always led to a connection drop since the game started... doesnt matter if it is wifi or ethernet, Ive used different laptops and a desktop PC and have had the issue consistently (and at other peoples houses too, so it is not my connection).

For me, it is making the game unenjoyable and unplayable. Why is it for a single player game, the server connection can cause this kind of an issue? What's the latest update on a fix for this?

Seriously needs some improvement :-(
Reply Quote
im using Imac i5, 12gb ram and ati hd radeon 6670, having bad latency over 1000msec when in battle action or mob. please fix this laggggg, unable to play!!!
Reply Quote
I just hope everything goes back to normal after the next maintenance. :(
Reply Quote
Same problem here. Since D3 released my lat is never lower than 300ms (always in orange on lat bar in game). Frequently goes red with lat spikes between 1500-2200 (mainly above the 2k mark). Seems irrelevant from what I've noticed as to mob size or even combat for that point. Oft I'm not even in combat or have mobs on the screen when it happens. Often the lower levels of latency 500-800ms will be completely free of mobs, just me wandering.

Lat definitely gets worse in party. Doesn't matter how many party members (always RL friends, I don't play public at all). The one thing I do find interesting about the higher lat spikes; when I get lat spikes that large in WoW (going back some time on a PC) I would almost always get DC'd from the server. Regardless how long the lat spike occurs for, I've NEVER been DC'd on D3 to date (for lat or any other reason).

Also, unlike what others have posted, for me I don't believe the patch has anything to do with it. Problem existed pre and post patch.

Here's my system/connection specs:

Model Name: iMac (27 inch screen)
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
SMC Version (system): 1.72f2

Connection: ADSL 1+ Turbo (20,000 kbps)
Ethernet only (I never use wireless)

System is up to date.

I am new to Mac computers and don't know how to do ping checks etc... on a Mac or any other tests I can do from my end to help troubleshoot. So any suggestions, please let me know. But I find it very difficult to believe its on my end as everything else internet wise and gaming wise is fine. I can still raid 25 man WoW with 200ms lat and no troubles at all.
Edited by Wink#1199 on 6/12/2012 5:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi, I'm having latency issues too since the Hotfix 4-5 days ago.
Normaly I have around 50 ms latency in WoW and Starcraft too, but in Diablo it started to randomly jump up 1000 ms+ in the past few days, which is very frustrating since i die...

I have a fiber wire internet at UPC Hungary, the highest 120 Mbit/sec package, so the connection should not be an issue and all was good till recently.

I hope this can be fixed soon, I suspect a server error with some connection nods or ISP-s.
Reply Quote
Same issues on my system (spec'd below). Didn't start out that way, but after troubleshooting what I know on this side it seems like it's from the network layer. No issues found with hardware handling the graphics load. Just random lag.

Really hope you guys make some headway on this issue. Thanks.

OS Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit) Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Memory (RAM) 8184 MB DDR3 Dual-Channel
CPU Info Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz
Sound Realtek Digital Output (Realtek |
Display NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Network Realtek RTL8188SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Mouse 16 Button Wheel Mouse Present
HDD C: 465.7GB SATA 3.0 6Gb/s
USB 2 host controllers.
Mfgr. American Megatrends Inc.
Make T5 XE
MoBo BIOSTAR Group T5 XE
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
OS Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit) Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

You will want to post in windows forums. This is the Mac forum, and changes the Mac team makes for the client won't affect the Windows client.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5386227/

As for Mac users: When you notice the latency spikes, is this when there is combat action? Like encountering monsters? How is it when you use the Town portal to get back to base?
Reply Quote
For me latency spikes when facing mobs, playing with multiple players is almost unplayable, and in some areas just the environment seems to cause higher latency. As for town portals i can some times use it to snap out of a bad lag episode, although this doesn't work to often. Also as of recent i have been disconnected from the game numerous times during a bad latency episode, usually while facing very large mob.
Hope this gets resolved soon because i love the game when its operating good, but if another treasure goblin gets away because of lag i might rage and break my new imac that cost 2200$...haha
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Thanks. When latency strikes, does your FPS also change? You can view your FPS by pressing Command-R.
Reply Quote
No it stays at a steady 60fps.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Thanks I'll send this up.
Reply Quote
Your welcome, thank you for looking into this issue.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]