Diablo® III

Help - latency/lag spike problem!

Blizzard Employee
Can you post your system specs for additional research and also how you are connected to the internet? (Wireless, ethernet to modem, ethernet to router, etc)

Obtaining System Information
    1. Hold the 'Option' Key and choose System Profiler/Information from the Apple Menu.

2. Copy the information from the following sections:
  • Hardware (remove the Serial Number line)
  • Graphics/Displays
  • Software (remove the Computer Name and User Name lines)
Reply Quote
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
SMC Version (system): 1.72f2Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6970M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6720
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C2960H-203
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.560
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 6:22
my internet is wireless but I'm connected directly to modem through ethernet cord, hope this helps.
Reply Quote
I have lag spikes also, to me it seems when there is text from the follower it , it is good to fight with you, in combat area some sound also when i grab a heal shrine, i get a lag then dead, the templaar charging i get a lag spike then boom momsters fly across the map, then things move again.
Reply Quote
I am also experiencing lag spike issues and so is another friend of mine with his computer. Before patch 1.02 b (i think that's the right patch) I had no lag problems. Now, almost every fight there is a major delay (up to 3sec) in combat actions. I am using ethernet and not wireless. Also using Windows 7 64-bit, desktop pc, and everything possible has been updated (to make sure that wasn't the problem) since before I installed D3.
Reply Quote
Hi, most often the lag spikes come in around combat (either during or a little after).

Lat always drops back into green (~200-250) wen in town.

Not sure about FPS as I'v not checked it. Obviously looks that way coz I'm lagging and the game does get jumpy, but will check out the actual reading net time.

On that note however, something of note that happens just prior to my lag hitting (not all the time, but almost always wen i'm in for a big spike (1500+)... I will be running along and the screen will jump back several paces (like a CD skipping on a song). Wen this happens, there's absolutely no lag 'so to speak' as it has the effect more of being teleported back say 10 yards, if that makes sense? Its a very smooth and instantaneous transition. It will happen usually 3 or 4 times, any abilities I use in that time will work as per normal (without delay) and then I cop the lag spike say ~30 seconds later.
Reply Quote
I have the same lag issues, although I only have them on one of my two laptops, playing with the same account and the exact same network (wireless).
I can click on screen and run around but I mostly end up dead in the middle of a gang of mobs when the spike is gone.

The laptop on which I have random lag spikes, that last about 5 seconds, is an HP Envy 17-3000EB.
The other laptop, which is by far slower than the other one, is a Toshiba Sattelite A350-12Z.

No idea what the difference would be.
Any ideas?
Reply Quote
OK thx for the Command+R for FPS. I'm at a constant 60 FPS while nothing is happening. When anything combat wise pops up, it starts flickering between 60 and some other number (happens too fast to see if its actually going up or down... seriously)... but the very second I mouse over anything targetable (mob I'm attacking, NPC, text box of NPC, Barrel etc...) its drops to a constant 30 FPS.

Just started having lat spikes unto the ~950 (edit - 1400 lat) mark and FPS is not dropping below 30 regardless of what I'm seeing on screen.

My system specs are listed elsewhere on page 2 of this thread.

Playing Fullscreen windowed, Max foreground FPS 150, max background 8, texture high, shadow off, physics high, clutter medium, anti-aliasing and vertical sync both ticked as well.

Hope this helps :)
Edited by Wink#1199 on 6/15/2012 5:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I am also having pretty bad latency issues, usually in dungeons. Particularly in the Caverns of Araneae is where I always get the worst spikes (Over 1000ms), happened on both Normal and then Nightmare difficulties. Makes it incredibly hard to do anything! Delay from clicking to an action actually happening can be 1-3 seconds, which is not ideal when you're being mobbed by blue enemies!
Nothing wrong with my internet connection or my computer (2010 i5 iMac) and I nearly always play single player, offline mode please Blizzard! Single player games shouldn't have these problems!
Reply Quote
I'm having some serious lag problems too, it started 2 days ago and I don't know what to do. Everytime I start a battle, I get those lag spikes that make me "go back in time". Also, besides the lag spikes I don't have a change in the latency, it's always around 250ms.
This makes killing elite packs reaaaally hard.

What can I do about it? Also, I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with hardware issues on my PC.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Having the same problems as others it seems. My game is not even playable right now and it has been like this for at least a week now. Everything is fine and my game runs fine but as soon as any monsters come around my game suddenly takes a HUGE jump in ms from 100 to like 1300+ in the matter of seconds then my game will freeze for like 5-20 seconds and by then I'm dead anyways so it doesn't matter. This issue is really stating to annoy me I thought for sure there would be a fix to this problem but it seems to be getting worse and worse.... any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Untitled
Boot Mode: Normal
Edited by MinchRoMe#1346 on 6/19/2012 10:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 08:37 AMPosted by KingCryoes
Your game lags on wireless connections -.- enough said. If i get a 20ft cable i dont lag.. if i use wireless I lag..

This is something Blizz has no control over. Do you know how many factors you introduce when you are wireless? Playing facebook games or streaming youtube via wireless isn't the same. D3 requires a constant connection. Wireless is always unstable as environmental factors can change the way it connects.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Also, I use an ethernet cord not wireless, and I'm still having major issues. D3 is the only game that does this WoW runs at perfect speed and fps and doesn't have issues with my internet so I think it is something to do with the Mac client of D3 more than everyone's internet. PLEASEEEEE BLIZZARD FIX THE GAME FOR MAC!!!!
Reply Quote
Same here as everyone else. Have windows 7 64 bit. Speed test (upload and download), ping test, updated all drivers, clean install of Windows 7, hooked up to ethernet (no longer wifi), ran check after check after check. The last patch caused the latency spikes. I can play for maybe 10-15 minutes with 150ms then it will be a 2,000+ latency spike for a few minutes. Wait it out and then it starts all over again. Wrote a support ticket. They had me do a Dxdiag report, msinfo report, etc. and still have not heard back from them. It has to be in the patch. Why they can't find or fix the issue is unbelievable. It's probably some missing period in the coding throwing the whole thing off. Game isn't even fun when this happens. Please HELP US!
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Death Knight
high latency issue since yesterday midnite asia server time. until now it spike and and disconnected everytime. i test it by running a torrent for connectivity but the torrent had good download speed yet my gameplay suffer from latency issue and disconnects.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
I am having the same issue it gets so bad that !@# im casting spells nothing happens and my guy usualy is dead when its done spikeing.

i did ping test and conection test at speedtest.net and pingtest.net
Reply Quote
I lag in game with the rubber banding on a wired connection and my ping to blizzards server states I'm at 80ms. So it's also in their end. Truly wish this game could be taken off line. Online play is great as long as it works.
Reply Quote
i have been trying to play now since the patch came out and like every one elce has been saying i get about 5 min of play befor my lat spikes up to 2000+ and on average befor this patch i was running 50-90 lat this is starting to take the fun out of the game a little bit of support and accual help would b nice instead of asking if its our hardware n software is the issue why dont u look at your patch n realize something went wrong
Reply Quote
I am now experiencing the same problem...I am on a windows 7 quad core AMD and was playing the game fine until a couple days ago it goes from 70-100 lat to 1500-2000 lat jumps!
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Hey all,

So, for the rubberbanding, we're continually working on improving this. All feedback about this has been sent up to the teams that work on this and they are making some adjustments to he;p address these issues.

Now for latency issues, I don't see many traces done when the high latency happens. Can we have traces done, so we can see where the latency may happen?

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/performing-a-traceroute
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]