Diablo® III

What does each Elemental damage type do?

90 Night Elf Druid
Not counting elemental damage from Skills and Runes, but the kind that appear on magic Weapons. Some are obvious as to their effects, others not so much. Blizz's game guide also doesn't go into detail about it either or at least I can't find the page for it.

Holy - I assume this does extra damage to Undead and Demons, if so not sure how much more.
Cold - Definitely creates a snare effect and then randomly shatters corpses in ice.
Fire - I think this leaves corpses on fire burning other mobs that walk over it.
Arcane - Not a clue, all I know is it leaves corpses glowing purple.
Lightning - Aside for the the bolt shocks no clue either.
Poison - Deals damage over time, leaves a gas cloud behind (not sure it damages after).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Anyone?
Reply Quote
I have the same question and I been trying to google it...
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Priest
They don't do anything special, they decided that the damage types are just for prettification.
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 11:45 PMPosted by Talindia
They don't do anything special, they decided that the damage types are just for prettification.

There are affixes or bonuses that increase elemental damage. I think they might have a use there.
Reply Quote
14 Gnome Mage
I think when I kill things with an arcane damage weapon, their corpses get a purple glow. So there's that.
Reply Quote
I think cold having the snare is the only effect that was retained.

I think all other elements just get a glow and a corpse effect.
Reply Quote
I think cold having the snare is the only effect that was retained.

I think all other elements just get a glow and a corpse effect.

That's certainly a massive downer.

Come on, we can test this, someone buy some elemental crap and go poke some zombies and come back with numbers.

I'm going to go on my WD and try this now. This is integral to all the "weapon damage as Physical" spells I've been theorycrafting to work with elemental damage, which would increase the potential of a particular class dramatically.

Maybe it's on the critical hits? Maybe on a critical hit there's an effect?
Reply Quote
Darn it... cold damage "snares" mobs... but beyond that, holy/fire/poison/lightning/arcane, I have no clue what they do.

They leave cosmetic changes behind, like the bodies decomposing to poison or being burnt by fire... and your on-hit effects look like the element you're doing.

And just confirmed all the "weapon damage as physical damage" don't carry your particular elemental damage over... it'll just be pure physical damage (darn it, my exploding ice nova chicken...)

This is kind of sad isn't it, an entirely pointless mechanic that further confuses people... it's merely a "what colour I want my weapon to emit" now.
Reply Quote
There are wizard skills that will slow/snare from arcane or lightning damage I haven't tested to see whether they cross over to weapon damage.
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 01:02 AMPosted by MorriganGrey
There are wizard skills that will slow/snare from arcane or lightning damage I haven't tested to see whether they cross over to weapon damage.

That only applies to skills that already does arcane/lightning damage regardless of weapon properties. And yes, it works with weapon damage, but weapon property itself doesn't carry over into any skill because "weapon damage as Physical" doesn't carry the properties.

I tried with cold damage (the only element that seems to do something) but it doesn't snare at all coupled with skills.

Sigh if it's really only synergy with certain class skills, then why bother giving weapons a coloured glow and calling it "elemental damage"...
Reply Quote
Never really noticed the poison DoT.

Anyways the elemental damage seems pretty pointless. I want to look evil so I pick fire! my sword glows red like a sithlord rawr! <the only reason I see.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the post and the research you did Lollerman, I had wondered the same thing. I'd come to the conclusion that it was purely aesthetic (besides the obvious Cold) but it's good to have some proof.

Also, you mentioned the game guide not being helpful in this issue. Yea... I find the game guide massively lacking myself :/
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
06/01/2012 01:15 AMPosted by Lollerman
I tried with cold damage (the only element that seems to do something) but it doesn't snare at all coupled with skills.

That's how it should work with skills that already have an elemental base attached to it so there isn't a double stacking effect. For non-elemental damage skills I've seen Cold damage attach itself to attacks like Evasive Fire/Covering Fire and Elemental Arrow/Nether Tentacles for DH, oddly enough Nether Tentacles isn't considered any elemental damage at all even though its a Rune for Elemental Arrow.

Aside from Death effects, most elementals don't seem to have any specialty to it, both Fire and Poison appear to generate a DoT that may or may not actually do damage, its difficult to test out as the duration is very short to begin with you may not notice anything at all. The after effects is that a corpse is set ablaze for Fire or release a gas cloud for Poison. Cold does shatter corpses into ice which helps against Fallen Shaman that like to revive. Someone in another thread says that Lightning damage may generate a short burst stun but its chance and duration is very low like 0.5 sec stun.

I think without Player vs Player combat it would be very difficult to test it out thoroughly unless you can find some mobs that are willing to stand there and eat shot after shot without retaliation or specialty healing involved.
Reply Quote
I believe that the elemental effects on the weapon boost your elemental attacks, like if you had a cold dmg wand and used blizzard it would add that extra cold dmg to it. Not entirely sure but I run an arcane build so I buy wands with extra arcane dmg.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
One thing I will add, Holy evaporates corpses. This isn't that amazing but it does stop Fallen resurrections. It will do this without needing to crit while other elemental damages, frost and arcane, need crits to explode your target to remove the body.
Reply Quote
Somethin to take into consideration other than the flagged "DPS" on a weapon here is the actual number variances.

I would imagine, just like in diablo 2, lightning has the largest max dmg, but the range is also very large creating issue of varied damage's dealt.

Cold being the lowest damage because of the slow utility.

Stuff like that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]