Diablo® III

How to kill Ghom in inferno?

85 Night Elf Druid
Just made my way to inferno ACT3 's first boss ghom, the one who drops poison cloud around him, even with 5 stacks of buff. But I find that my health drops very quickly in the smoke. I have like 9k armor and 800+ resist with 16k dps, but I do not have any life per hit. So how can I keep myself up against this boss? The build I am using now is frenzy, leap with armor, ignore pain, wrath of the berserker, revenge, war cry. Thanks.
Edited by hoojee#1363 on 6/2/2012 3:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Figured it out that people suggest barbarians to use a ranged build to beat this boss, and imo it is a clear design failure. If in game a boss cannot be killed by melee attack (without crazy life on hit stat), then why you design melee class in this game?
Reply Quote
Soloed him as melee. Jump in, few hits, charge out through his adds (hp regen) run around, jump in (pop last stand) more hits, charge through adds again, repeat for a while, profit. Did him first try. Just took too long.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Thanks for the tip, yeah charge should be viable but I do not use charge normally since it will be very hard against certain elite combos. Still the problem is, you cannot keep staying in melee range of the boss, and that is unacceptable.
Reply Quote
The passive skill that regens 60% of your hp helps on this guy when you use war cry. Same with diablo in inferno.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
yeah but still the problem is, will you use that passive skill on other occasions beside this boss? If not it is a design failure, because I do not think a ranged class need to change his build when facing this boss. So why melee need to change the build and lose the stacks?
Reply Quote
run in when he has 4 adds, has just dropped a gas cloud and is moving out of it towards you. ignore pain/leap onto him, revenge spam, get some attacks in, move out at 70% health, use potion/collect health globe, repeat probably 20 times.

you only need to kill him the one time, just have to suck it up and be miserable for 5-10 minutes which really isn't anything new for most barbs.
Reply Quote
06/02/2012 04:24 AMPosted by Lovelykitty
yeah but still the problem is, will you use that passive skill on other occasions beside this boss? If not it is a design failure, because I do not think a ranged class need to change his build when facing this boss. So why melee need to change the build and lose the stacks?

It isnt necessary but it makes it easier. Lots of crappy loot isn't much better than a little bit of crappy loot.
Reply Quote
you don't have to change anything, basic cookie-cutter tank build handles this boss with no issues besides crippling boredom and the chance you might die when that boredom makes you stay in the gas for too long because my god why won't this nightmare end
Reply Quote
I havent beaten him on inferno yet, but what I have done on every other mode with my barb is put call of the ancients and earthquake on and just keep kiting him around, running around the smoke and popping those skills whenever they are ready, you will have to keep him in one place for earthquake, so I use ignore pain and tank him for the duration of that. It might take a while this way but I have never died on this boss and its a good tactic for being a barb. Good Luck!
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
This is the stupidist fight ever for melee
Reply Quote
89 Human Rogue
I just followed some peoples advice and bought 2 life on hit rings along with using my life on hit weapon. No go. the second I get within range of these guys I'm dead. 920 resists 24000 dps 36k health 7652 armor 600 life regen 1600 life on hit.

He drops a cloud, moves out of it, I jump to him and attack SPLAT I'm dead. What gives... Even with 1600 regen. I think I've fought him 30 times now...

Also, if I do manage to whack him 5 times then run, I'm hit with some ridiculous dot that pretty much kills me on its own.
Edited by Cauze#1685 on 6/14/2012 3:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
89 Human Rogue
I went ranged with fury regen lol. I have it paused right now at 50%... Looks like the best way to do it.
Reply Quote
find a Demon Hunter friend.

use slow and kite him on big circle, all you need to do is AE stun when he spawn add on your friend, and case sprint(with wind) or SS when have fury.
Reply Quote
Leap + Iron Impact
Ignore Pain + Iron Hide
Wrath of the Berserker + Insanity

WoTB -> Leap -> Ignore Pain -> Leap = 15 seconds of dps time. Once it wears off just kite/kill slimes until Ignore Pain refreshes, then go back in for another 15 seconds. WoTB again whenever it's available.

Takes a while but you take practically no damage with this method.
Edited by Frosc#1419 on 6/14/2012 4:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
89 Human Rogue
Ok I killed him. Don't have any friends in act 3 yet so had to go dutch on this.

Here's how I did it. I used the build below. I actually didn't end up using Frenzy at all so I could have put something else there like call of the ancients.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fWRgik!bWe!aaZZac

The key to this was using Superstition and Ignore Pain together to walk through clouds and gain fury back rapidly. I lead him on a merry chase and weapon threw him to death. I suppose I could have done the same with siesmic slam. Not once did I get within melee range by choice. Life regen is a must for this so I'd consider switching Animosity for Inspiring Presence if you don't have it.

This was definitely a fight to melee and kite with. It only took me two tries to do it this vs the 30 times I died using a melee spec.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/225/killedghom.jpg/
Edited by Cauze#1685 on 6/14/2012 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
89 Human Rogue
Leap + Iron Impact
Ignore Pain + Iron Hide
Wrath of the Berserker + Insanity

WoTB -> Leap -> Ignore Pain -> Leap = 15 seconds of dps time. Once it wears off just kite/kill slimes until Ignore Pain refreshes, then go back in for another 15 seconds. WoTB again whenever it's available.

Takes a while but you take practically no damage with this method.

Tried that method :( I'll grab some better gear and see if it's possible to go that route later.
Edited by Cauze#1685 on 6/14/2012 4:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There's an easier way to kill him without having to change your build too much. I use the regular tank build with IP, Leap, Warcry, Charge and Revenge. The key lies with the passive. Swap superstition for relentless. Besides taking 50% less damage, at <20% health your revenge is ALWAYS up. This allows you to stay in the cloud to dps throughout the entire fight. Keep spamming revenge and charge if you need additional HP. You may occasionally have to use your other cool downs but other than that, this fight is basically a piece of cake. Killed him in less than 3 mins.

PS. IMO relentless is a far superior tank passive than superstition

Cheers!
Reply Quote
89 Human Rogue
Thanks Adler. I'm experimenting with that build now. Good stuff!
Reply Quote
I read he was a really big gear check so that might be it, I dunno.. I one shotted him though. The fight started off and I was a little worried, but using S&B and standard tank build I just ran in, did some damage, ran out and kited a bit, furious charged into him and 2 adds for some health back, did some more damage, etc. It took like 10 minutes but was a lot easier than I was expecting. I only had about 500 LOH and 800ish resists... had like 75k HP though. +life FTW.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]