Diablo® III

The Unanswered Question

(Locked)

06/07/2012 05:15 PMPosted by Faetan
Sorry to disagree but most Barbs can only get hit twice and then death. We have a very small percentage of the damage that you do as a ranged and have to get into melee to hit anything. There is a disparity, mobs come back at full health for everyone and when we can only do 15k dps and those mobs have 1 million health and they com back at full health when we die after two hits do you think that is fair? All of your abilities are ranged damage melee are not you can kite we really cannot, Ranged have it a lot better over melee.

The combo's are insane, and frankly "kiting" space in this game is seriously messed up, as it was in every diablo game. Tanks I play with can take at least 5. I am not saying they can't maybe add to melee's DPS, but the nerfing currently ranged class's is total bull. Especially since I am has geared as my level 60 hubby who has a monk. The point is mobs on inferno are almsot impossible if they are elite and your not demon hunter with kick butt gear. OR messed up combos example, mortar desecrater vortex jailer.....tons of combos like that. Most peoples solution is trying to run um somewhere so they can run past and hopefully nto pull them. Nerfing our dps is not the answer. Will only create more problems.
Edited by FireKrystals#1381 on 6/7/2012 5:21 PM PDT
06/07/2012 05:16 PMPosted by Velexia
This all sounds fantastic, and I want to thank Wyatt for being awesome,

Agreed. He seems to really have his finger on the pulse of the game. Good stuff.
06/07/2012 05:14 PMPosted by DirkGently
I have 31k health, I can get 1-shot by literally anything in act 2.
You know there's more to survivability than the vitality stat, right?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
With the built in defense (CLASS passive 30% dr comes to mind, as well as passive skills that give even more defense) of melee there is never going to be a point where a wizard or DH can stand and take hits like a melee class can, so while melee will get to a point where they can play with the skills they want, I feel like I'm always going to be endlessly running circles around hydras. Assuming equal gear melee will take additional less damage.

If "closing the melee v. ranged disparity" means I'm still going to have to leave really cool abilities like disintegrate and spectral blades off my bars and expected to kite forever I'd rather just roll a melee.
Community Manager
06/07/2012 05:12 PMPosted by Danots
This game is only for "Diabloholics" you whiners should QUIT the game as you said it. If we can play the game, can you not?

But that's not true at all. While Diablo III may not be for everyone, our goal is to make the game as fun as it possibly can be -- for long-time fans of the franchise, for players just getting started, and for all those people somewhere in the middle -- and criticism lets us know how we can improve.

No one should be advised to "quit" the game simply because they don't play the same way you do. Constructive discussion, good. Mean finger-pointing, bad.
Edited by Lylirra on 6/7/2012 5:39 PM PDT
OK so I normally don't voice opions on these types of things because frankly, if it goes against what you feel you don't listen, however I have to adress this issue. I have played MMORPG's for over 14 years, and I've played quit a few. I was also there for the original diablo, diablo 2 and lord of destruction expansion. This is my opinion on why this issue should be adressed CARFULLY.

1) Ranged does more damage and can just die, respwan, and finish killing adds......
This is total BS statement. I for one am in inferno, and frankly mobs return to FULL HEALTH if you die....that's right FULL HEALTH
2) I don't do as much damage as ranged.....
Of course you don't. Your a "Meat Shield" and anyone playing a melee class doesn't think they are there to take a hit while others DPS mobs, has obviously never played any mmorpg to end content.
3) Ranged can take out a mob in 3 seconds whereas it takes me 30 seconds
That's true in some cases, but think of this.....WE CAN'T GET HIT PERIOD. White mobs in inferno will 1 shot us. "Only if their glass build" That's not true. I have a wizard and I use Arcane blast, blizzard, diamond skin, energy armor, and hydra....I am speced for as good a tank spec as a "ranged" class can be. I STILL GET 1 SHOTTED. Even with 58% resistance to everything, 22k hp, and over 2k armor (BTW resistance and gear and armor is hard to find with int. Maybe add it?). And even when playing co-ops with a melee class, we pull agro and die anyways (Tank agro needs to be fixed). SO even with our "Meat Shield" we still die an insane amount of times. Bigger repairs are not the answer, because quit frankly, I try everything I can not to die, and a 25k repair bill to take out two white mobs, when I have over 41k DPS with my buff is utter bull because I died to many times. I have to farm Azmodian on hell to make any of my money back, and even there he can 1 shot me, if it crits. I do not think it needs to be fixed. And frankly if you made a melee tank class, and are complaining about not dpsing, obviously you have no idea what a melee class job actually is. All games are about end content, and frankly if you nerf our damage while upping melee's It will be the end of Diablo 3. I guarantee it. I have rolled a caster class wether it be healer or mage for every mmorpg, and frankly, this game is pretty well balanced in my opinion for favoring melee. DH might be a little op but (shrug) that class always is in mmorpg's too. Deal with it. Re-roll caster if you have such a problem (Then you will see you are no better off, in fact might be worse off). Melee class is a meat shield plain and simple. Now if they add to your dps withot nerfing us fine, But frankly when you get to inferno it's simply kite kite kite and pray you don't die for every class, and I don't see that changing unless you have like 100 million gold to buy the ridiculouslly priced gear.

"Specced as good as a ranged tank could be" my !@#. I'm a Wizard with 71% + 70% + 20% damage reduction from armor + resists + blur. I'm at 1600 INT(30k DPS). Despite what you think, INT + Res gear are not hard to find. If I had more ilvl 62/63 equipment, I could push those numbers even further.

The only thing your post did was illustrate that you have absolutely no idea how D3's game mechanics work.
Awesome! Finally melee gets some loving. I'm tired of ranged having a monopoly on high lvl gear.
06/07/2012 05:20 PMPosted by Cordoba
I have 31k health, I can get 1-shot by literally anything in act 2.

Want to give me gold for better gear then? Cannot find anything better and cannot afford anything at all. The problem isn't survivability, it is the cost. I cannot purchase anything off the AH without spending a few mil per item to get anything better than I currently have. A few mil is WAY out of what I can practically farm in any short term. No replacement gear dropping tells me I have the best of what I should have right now.

So you tell me, how is this supposed to improve my gaming experience?
Constructive discussion, good. Vitriol, bad.

I laughed hard!
Can we get rid of rez timers if your making repairs more costly.. This mechanic is the most painful thing about this game it really is the most frustrating thing bout this game... sitting there for 20+sec and just yelling at my screen is pointless.

This was never in any of the other games and i don't see why its in this one. I'm all for higher repair costs as it makes us think before we decide to go farm act 3 in poorly optimized gear. But if the return is i don't have to just and do nothing in a game that is as fast paced as Diablo i really just don't see the point in this.

If you can give me reasons as to why its a must then i might be me understanding but at this point it makes me not want to play this game. as it seems to be a trend in this game i have to wait for everything. namely exiting a game, identifying items, rez times, and town portals. some of which add flavor but waiting to keep playing this great game is just flat out a slap in the face and almost insulting.

Plz Blizzard correct this issue for the love of thrall!!!
As a demon hunter, I would rather avoid dying than zerging enemies to bring them down but sometimes it is just impossible. Reflect damage and such is a pretty big issue for IMO, but I can play against it by dealing damage slowly trough clutch smoke screens

Not a bash against Demon Hunters at all and especially not against the person whose post I took this from--the story below is to(hopefully) help show the ranged players that haven't played a D3 melee what the disparity is that is being spoken of here:

I play a barbarian, and I thought the Reflect Damage affix was broken. No, seriously, until reading a little on my Witch Doctor alt, I seriously thought the affix didn't do a thing. It had never done enough damage to me for me to attribute said damage to the monster ability.

Demon Hunters are worried that reflect will kill them outright and must DPS slowly to overcome it. My barbarian thought reflect was broken and didn't do a thing(which basically means whatever pitiful heal per second I'm fielding is enough to completely negate it). THAT is the size of the damage disparity we're looking at here:P
[quote]You do understand that Diablo is a single player game for most players outside of item trading/buying/selling, right? The melee classes are not designed to be MMO tanks, even though they can fulfill a similar role in groups.[/quote
I am giving Blizzard the benefit of the doubt for making a game only able to play "Online" And they are ones that classified it has MMORPG.

06/07/2012 05:18 PMPosted by OpsDude
Please, just uninstall and go back to wow. This is not an mmorpg, it is a dungeon crawler, with a 4 player per game limit. Notice there is no such thing as directed heals, because the game was not designed to be played that way. GTFO.

I left WOW forever ago hater, and Blizzard states it's an mmorpg, AND IT IS ONLY PLAYABLE with internet access. IF this was just meant to be a dungeon crawler, they would made offline version like in diablo 2 was.

Also, as I said if you have hundreds of millions to spend on gear, you probably aren't hurting. I gave my build and specs and I get 1 shotted by mobs. I paid over 300k for all of my resistance gear and armor gear.
Edited by FireKrystals#1381 on 6/7/2012 5:30 PM PDT
Can we get rid of rez timers if your making repairs more costly.. This mechanic is the most painful thing about this game it really is the most frustrating thing bout this game... sitting there for 20+sec and just yelling at my screen is pointless.

This was never in any of the other games and i don't see why its in this one. I'm all for higher repair costs as it makes us think before we decide to go farm act 3 in poorly optimized gear. But if the return is i don't have to just and do nothing in a game that is as fast paced as Diablo i really just don't see the point in this.

If you can give me reasons as to why its a must then i might be me understanding but at this point it makes me not want to play this game. as it seems to be a trend in this game i have to wait for everything. namely exiting a game, identifying items, rez times, and town portals. some of which add flavor but waiting to keep playing this great game is just flat out a slap in the face and almost insulting.

Plz Blizzard correct this issue for the love of thrall!!!

They should remove the rez timer, in single player, because the mobs always heal to full health anyway. In fact, anytime the mobs heal to full health, it should reset the death timer, even in multiplayer.
06/07/2012 05:22 PMPosted by Llyse
With the built in defense (CLASS passive 30% dr comes to mind, as well as passive skills that give even more defense) of melee there is never going to be a point where a wizard or DH can stand and take hits like a melee class can, so while melee will get to a point where they can play with the skills they want, I feel like I'm always going to be endlessly running circles around hydras.

Yep. Just about the only half way viable wizard build for inferno is hydra-blizzard where you are (when playing solo) either running in circles around your hydra or running for your life across two or three maps casting hydra or blizzard as you can. That is hardly a power-show for ranged classes.
Edited by GrumpyOldWiz#1874 on 6/7/2012 5:29 PM PDT
From my perspective (as a wizard in inferno) - right now mobs in Act 2+ fall into two categories:
the ones that can hurt me and the ones that can't.

For the former, the threshold for survival (especially against aggressive champs) is so high the return on investment for defensive stat is negative! You go from a 1-shot hit to a 1-maybe-2 shot hit, but the fight is now much longer - so your overall chances of getting pounded go up! For the later, defensive stats add no value at all...

As noted before, this all shifts as gear levels go up - a few players have reached a point where they can simply go "All In" against the majority of mobs and walk away from it, leaving the impression that ranged has that property inherently... Your average Joe is left with the "Cargo Cult" approach of death zerging, the poor (and soon to be much poorer) man's imitation.
Awsome news Lylirra.

It's so nice to see you guys acknowledging and addressing game issues.

No really. I've spat my fair share of hate around here at the state of the game. I have been a much happier player since you guys started addressing the issues to the community. Especially after reading the 1.0.3 blog post.

Thank you.

Edit: typo =D
Edited by IRONLEG#1213 on 6/7/2012 5:34 PM PDT
im a wizard with 7500 armor (70% + mitigation) and 900 all resistance (~ 75% mitigation) not using blur and i made it to belial skipping the occasional shielding/invulnerable minions with great success, but act 3 is a different story, but i enjoy having a wizard that takes 5+ hits in act 2 and i dont have to kite like a mofo like blizzard glass cannon wizards, cant wait for 1.03!

06/07/2012 05:22 PMPosted by Lylirra
Constructive discussion, good. Mean finger-pointing, bad.

and the blue made a good point.... why the hell is everyone such !@#$%^-s, really, its immature and childish
Edited by megaDAN#2858 on 6/7/2012 5:33 PM PDT
06/07/2012 05:25 PMPosted by DirkGently

Want to give me gold for better gear then? Cannot find anything better and cannot afford anything at all. The problem isn't survivability, it is the cost. I cannot purchase anything off the AH without spending a few mil per item to get anything better than I currently have. A few mil is WAY out of what I can practically farm in any short term. No replacement gear dropping tells me I have the best of what I should have right now.

So you tell me, how is this supposed to improve my gaming experience?
First of all, I wasn't just talking about gear. Gear is just one of the things adding survivability to your character, and the vitality stat is just one of the stats on gear that helps you survive.

That said, farming is a major part of Diablo. You've got weeks, maybe months before the patch in question. Start gearing yourself differently as you play in the meantime. And start playing around with new skills that increase your survivability so you've got an idea what you're gonna switch to after the patch. It doesn't have to all happen this afternoon.
Nerfing inferno doesn't=balancing melee and ranged. Ranged will just be better glass cannons then ever.
ranged lets say =2
melee =1
inferno =3

changing inferno to 2 does not close the melee to ranged gap
Did I actually read that correctly? Increasing the max range of mortar? It can already hit me when a mob is completely off of my screen (depending on the angle). In my opinion, that's a really, REALLY poor change. Other than that though, a very informative response. Appreciate the openness :).
Edited by Firesnake#1807 on 6/7/2012 5:33 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]