Diablo® III

The Unanswered Question

(Locked)

Ranged class cannot tank. If their DPS is low what do they have? If they cannot take hits nor kill fast to keep them from dying, what's the point? Kiting doesn't always work, with vortex, jail, mortars, desecrate etc.

It's not easy to run and attack and hope they don't catch you. They need to be fast killers in order to survive.

As for melee they can take hits. I agree they should have a good amount of damage output as well to take on mobs. Keep the suggestions up. I'm sure there's a solution somewhere.
Even with these changes, a huge disparity will exist between melee and ranged dps. These changes will not make my 7k barb hit as hard as my lesser geared 45kdps DH.

I look forward to more.
14 Gnome Mage
That really makes zero sense. Why would survival be more appealing if its less necessary?

If the player is already using a glass-cannon build with the idea of not getting hit (makes sense, totally, just as my monk is built to be constantly healing, regardless of what else is happening, he MUST always be healing), reducing incoming damage is not going to make them suddenly WANT to get hit, it just makes it so if they do get it, it means even less, further encouraging glass-cannon builds. You think I'd make my monk heal LESS because the damage is less? No way! It just makes the healing I have even more effective.

If I can get my monk to a point where I can heal SO much that I fear no enemy, I've completed my build ideal. I'm sure anyone would plays a glass-cannon wizard or demon hunter feels the same way.
It's called opportunity cost. Right now, defensive stats increase the effective health of ranged by very little, making the dps sacrificed to get each point of EH very expensive. With less incoming damage, they're hoping to shift this, making EH less expensive in terms of lost dps, and thus more appealing for ranged.

Ranged class cannot tank. If their DPS is low what do they have? If they cannot take hits nor kill fast to keep them from dying, what's the point? Kiting doesn't always work, with vortex, jail, mortars, desecrate etc.

It's not easy to run and attack and hope they don't catch you. They need to be fast killers in order to survive.

As for melee they can take hits. I agree they should have a good amount of damage output as well to take on mobs. Keep the suggestions up. I'm sure there's a solution somewhere.
Ranged trade damage reduction for damage avoidance.
Edited by Soulcakeduck#1422 on 6/7/2012 6:06 PM PDT
06/07/2012 05:22 PMPosted by Lylirra
This game is only for "Diabloholics" you whiners should QUIT the game as you said it. If we can play the game, can you not?

But that's not true at all. While Diablo III may not be for everyone, our goal is to make the game as fun as it possibly can be -- for long-time fans of the franchise, for players just getting started, and for all those people somewhere in the middle -- and criticism lets us know how we can improve.

No one should be advised to "quit" the game simply because they don't play the same way you do. Constructive discussion, good. Mean finger-pointing, bad.

This makes me happy. :) Suck it Danots
Excellent response. Even though some of the changes in 1.0.3 will sort of get in the way of my strategy (stacking attack speed mostly), the reasoning makes a lot of sense, so I'll just have to re-strategize.
06/07/2012 06:06 PMPosted by Mouthwash
Ranged trade damage reduction for damage avoidance.

True, however their skill sets are designed to be for ranged attacking (except a few). Melee have a lot more skills to help support them be in the front line of battles.
Sounds legit Mouthwash, let's let melee take less damage then ranged while putting out higher numbers. Point of rolling a ranged would be? Less risk of death? Oh that's right, if anything sneezes on ranged in A3 Inferno or higher, they get 1 shot..
Ps, Barbs can go a full dps build and simply cooldown zerg eliet packs in Inferno. Yes, you'll probably die a few times.. But that's the price you pay. We all die in Inferno.
100 Blood Elf Rogue
When i went to the Youtube video link posted in a thread==== i see a Diablo Logo and chapter art on an ad on youtube ,

"Diablo 3 Gold, Delivery in 15 minutes or Money Back, full stock."

Are the farmers allowed to advertiuse using the D3 Logo now?

What is the current policy now on farmers and those who buy from them and the ads etc? An ad on YOUTVE is high profile--can they use the D3 Logo and art?

Seems to me the RMAH should put them out of business, but what if they end up controlling the AH---?<<<<The real Unanswered question to me.
One question I have doesnt have much to do in game as it does out. Im wondering about the General/Trade chats. Im noticing no one has an option as to which chat room they happen to be in, ie. a friend and I are both online in the same game, but we cant use the same general chat, which at times can be useful. Is this something that is going to change?
90 Worgen Rogue
06/07/2012 06:08 PMPosted by Umx
Im fine with the champ and rares being hard but for fuks sakes dont let them heal i bust my !@# to get them down, then they heal to full fuk you

You should swear more.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/search?f=post&a=Umx%231420&sort=time
I found a few posts here and there where you weren't cussing constantly and they seemed to really break up your rhythm.
[quote]This game is only for "Diabloholics" you whiners should QUIT the game as you said it. If we can play the game, can you not?

But that's not true at all. While Diablo III may not be for everyone, our goal is to make the game as fun as it possibly can be -- for long-time fans of the franchise, for players just getting started, and for all those people somewhere in the middle -- and criticism lets us know how we can improve.

Inferno was designed to be the hardest difficulty, which by definition means it should be hard. There are Barbarians who have cleared Inferno. There are Monks who have cleared Inferno. If you are not capable, you're either gearing wrong, playing wrong, or simply do not have the experience to do so. My opinion anyways.
Edited by Skeetqt#1215 on 6/7/2012 6:16 PM PDT
06/07/2012 06:16 PMPosted by Skeetqt
Inferno was designed to be the hardest difficulty, which by definition means it should be hard. There are Barbarians who have cleared Inferno. There are Monks who have cleared Inferno. If you are not capable, you're either gearing wrong, playing wrong, or simply do not have the experience to do so. My opinion anyways.
Presumably they want all the classes to experience roughly similar difficulties in Inferno. The fact that it's supposed to be hard doesn't mean that it's OK for it to be substantially harder for some classes than others.
Hey, i'm not saying some classes don't have it easier. But to think your class sucks because you need more gear is another story all together. Barbarians scale out of control with gear, if you can afford it. You won't hit for pretty shiny numbers, but you'll become an immovable object.
Edit - Until you face an invuln minion pack lolol..
Edited by Skeetqt#1215 on 6/7/2012 6:21 PM PDT
DirkGently

So instead of paying 7k in gold for repairs, I am going to pay 28k in gold? So, 28k times 5 characters is 140k in gold if all of my characters dies one (never repairing between deaths) -OR- if I die 5 times during a game (again, never repairing between deaths). Right now I have barely 150k gold. I don't use the auction house and I can kinda get by as it is but things like gem upgrades are pushing what I am able to spend. It can take me an hour to farm 100k gold. That is if I am lucky enough to not run into elite groups that will pound me (DH) into the ground. How is this a more effective anything, than draining our bank accounts and having us beg for gold?

then use the AH, dont vendor rares, put them on ah even if its for 1000 its more than vendor will give you, i make 250-500k a day just from keeping my ah tab full
Edited by Rithgor#1555 on 6/7/2012 6:27 PM PDT
I'm also working with one of our gameplay engineers to make it so if you sidestep the Dark Berserker’s power hit (where he brings his giant mace down), he doesn’t turn to track you as he swings (though that change probably won't make 1.0.3). These kind of AI adjustments are things ranged players don’t even notice, but are huge for melee.

Oh god, you have no idea how happy this makes me.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
06/07/2012 06:01 PMPosted by Mouthwash
Now, I'm not asking that we do as much damage as a ranged. I don't believe we should, since we as melee have inherently more damage reduction, 30% I believe. But there shouldn't be a schism of a multiplier of four between the two.
Cannot disagree more. Melee are given a damage reduction bonus to balance incoming damage. The assumption is that melee will take more unavoidable damage than ranged and should have to kite to avoid damage less frequently. If that turns out not to be the case, adjust this damage reduction so that they're taking comparable damage.

It is bad design to trade off a wide disparity in damage potential for a wide disparity in incoming damage. Melee should have comparable damage output with ranged, despite the 30% damage reduction--which is merely one tool to help them achieve that comparable damage output by allowing them to, you know, actually take melee swings regularly.

If anything, melee should have higher character sheet dps since they will usually have lower dps uptime, and output a smaller portion of their dps potential while kiting.

no ranged actually enjoys kiting, it is boring and it renders at least half of each ranged class's skills worthless

that needs to be addressed with respect to the considerable built in defenses of monk and barb that is just gonna be bolstered further by act 4 inferno gear
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]