Diablo® III

Diablo 3 Latency Issues.

Still lags after patch? Awesome.
Reply Quote
110 Orc Warrior
I log in, I join pub game, 1 minute into the game green bar goes to red, cant move, cant do a thing. Waits a minute, goes back to green, tries to move, latency bar goes back to red. Leaves game, starts a solo game, 1 minute in goes to red, leaves game. Logs out completely, logs in again , joins a public game , leaves new tristam, 30 seconds later bar goes to orange , suddenly I am dead leaves party gets sick of this crap...

Logs into WoW, solid stable connection as ussual, does a stonecore run, no bull!@#$, no lag, no latency ... sorry for you all saying its client side. YOU ARE WRONG, its the game and the Diablo 3 'Platform', being an unstable piece of %^-* for whatever reason ...

<THE END>
Reply Quote
I log in, I join pub game, 1 minute into the game green bar goes to red, cant move, cant do a thing. Waits a minute, goes back to green, tries to move, latency bar goes back to red. Leaves game, starts a solo game, 1 minute in goes to red, leaves game. Logs out completely, logs in again , joins a public game , leaves new tristam, 30 seconds later bar goes to orange , suddenly I am dead leaves party gets sick of this crap...

Logs into WoW, solid stable connection as ussual, does a stonecore run, no bull!@#$, no lag, no latency ... sorry for you all saying its client side. YOU ARE WRONG, its the game and the Diablo 3 'Platform', being an unstable piece of %^-* for whatever reason ...

<THE END>

This...my latency bar is like a traffic light. No issues with any other game and/or streaming.
Reply Quote
Been having bad latency issues also. It's making me a bit worried to try hc mode. With the latency and rubber banding my way to death, I don't think I'll ever get to try hc until this is resolved. :(
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
Ive had this issue since i bought the game i think. Constantly getting 700+ms, after everything ive tried i KNOW its not my ISP. I get 90-110ms on WOW. (without lowerping)

SO THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED FOR ME was using Lowerping.com software to connect though there servers.

as soon as I started using Diablo through there servers, lag droped to 200-300ms, which makes it playable. You still have to pay around $5.00 USD a month for lowerping, but makes my life easier. Shame on you Blizzard, i have to use another companys software to play your game.

UNACCEPTABLE!
Reply Quote

<THE END>

Case and point.

I can do the same, bounce between green and red over and over non stop every minute.

But I can log off and play an online first person shooter without any issues, and stream HD youtube (in the same session, without touching the router)

Client side, no sirs. There's enough proof to discount that claim, try fixing it Blizzard.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Im having the exact same problem. Would be nice if Blizzard would reply, cuz this is pathetic.
Reply Quote
I agree. This is just plain brutal.
Reply Quote
In a way it kinda reminds me of playing Diablo 2 back in the day on dial-up. Of course at least then I could play offline when I didn't want to deal with it.
Reply Quote
Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one having problems with latency in this game. Of course, my reasons for it actually make sense. My internet connection is pretty bad, but I can usually expect 300-1k latency at most times during game"play". It's very hard to play a game when being hit my enemies that are not even close to my character, trying to move out of the way of an attack, but actually have already been hit by that attack, and generally attempting to use the force to see into the future by small amounts, and failing to do so normally.

Although I'm having the same issues as most people in this thread, my question is not why are we all lagging? My question is "Why is the server of the game dictating so much information to the client?"

Why is the game set up in such a way where rubberbanding even happens? Where attack animations do not coincide with attacks? Where the server is actually controlling much more of the game experience than is actually needed?

Personally, I think back to previous games with superior designs for online play. Phantasy Star Online (released in 2000, 12 years ago) plays in many ways very similarly to Diablo 3. You run around, you fight monsters in real time, you get loot. Here are the differences. The client completely controls where the players are, where a majority of the enemies are, and when/where attacks happen, meaning that the lag in that game barely affects gameplay. The only problem with that system is that all the smaller (non-boss) creatures aren't synchronized for the players, meaning that potentially one enemy could be attacking all 4 players in totally different areas. It's a small price to pay.

It feels like Diablo 3 is using netcode from some other MMO (such as WoW), which can't keep up with a fast-paced game like Diablo, and it has all the same pitfalls. I'm personally done playing the game for a while until the game is at least playable again. I would love to see the netcode updated to actually allow for "fair" play.

TL;DR Blizzard needs to take a serious look at the netcode and change it to be less latency dependent.
Edited by Coskii#1628 on 6/21/2012 7:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
As of today, I've also got this normal/green then laggy/red latency. It's exhibits whenever there's a lot of action on the screen. For example, I can run around and kill packs of 3-5 mobs without incident. When there are 10 on the screen, I lag out swinging. 2-5 seconds later the game updates and either the group is dead/near dead or I am. Very frustrating.

A trace route may implicate ATT.
Tracing route to 12.129.209.68 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
2 6 ms 5 ms 3 ms L100.BSTNMA-VFTTP-101.verizon-gni.net [98.110.164.1]
3 6 ms 8 ms 9 ms G4-3-1801.BSTNMA-LCR-08.verizon-gni.net [130.81.110.44]
4 8 ms 10 ms 7 ms so-0-3-0-0.BOS-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81.29.254]
5 14 ms 16 ms 16 ms ge-1-2-0-0.NY325-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81.17.24]
6 16 ms 16 ms 14 ms 0.ae2.BR2.NYC4.ALTER.NET [152.63.1.205]
7 21 ms 20 ms 29 ms 192.205.34.49
8 95 ms 91 ms 91 ms cr1.n54ny.ip.att.net [12.122.86.6]
9 90 ms 90 ms 88 ms cr2.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.1.2]
10 93 ms 93 ms 91 ms cr1.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.2.53]
11 93 ms 93 ms 93 ms cr2.dvmco.ip.att.net [12.122.31.85]
12 82 ms 83 ms 81 ms cr1.slkut.ip.att.net [12.122.30.25]
13 91 ms 93 ms 91 ms cr2.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.30.30]
14 89 ms 88 ms 88 ms gar29.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.129.241]
15 91 ms 91 ms 88 ms 12-122-254-238.attens.net [12.122.254.238]
16 163 ms 206 ms 205 ms mdf001c7613r0004-gig-10-1.lax1.attens.net [12.129.193.250]
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.

In particular the first attens (12-122-254-238.attens.net) hop has a large variance in it's response time. Taking anywhere between 90-300 ms. (Use PingPlotter to collect and view repeat trace route stats.)
Edited by Thinkable#1425 on 6/21/2012 8:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
are they working on a fix for this? This needs to get fixed ASAP. everytime when latency spikes, I either fire no weapon or teleported few steps back making this game unplayable on harder difficulty.
Reply Quote
So here it is later and I have good game action latency, but the trace route stats are essentially the same. I think the lag is from the game servers. Not the network.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
06/21/2012 10:17 PMPosted by Thinkable
So here it is later and I have good game action latency, but the trace route stats are essentially the same. I think the lag is from the game servers. Not the network.

I'm in the same boat. Horrible lag through the afternoon and it's significantly lower now.
Reply Quote
Ever since the patch my latency varys from 100 to 1100. Usualy starts at 100 as I log in. Then over the next few minutes goes to the other end, resulting in unplayability. Am i alone in this?
Reply Quote
81 Human Mage
Its not just you... its a selection of people that lags no mater what. Ive been playin since the night of launch and have had no troubles at all tell the new patch.
Im not having any lag issues, my computer just crashes when i attack a random mob.. this random mob spawns whenever he feels like it.
Normally it would only let me play for 5-10 mins.. now tonight it seems to be fine.
But anyways.. blizzard tells people its there fault when it isnt.. just give it some time and they will fix it sooner or later.
Reply Quote
same issue here.... latency from 500-1800 ms.... this is a big Blizzard fail, because the only thing i want from them after i bought their game is to BE ABLE TO PLAY it.... they created a single player game witch is online and can't deal with the servers??? Big minus for Blizz...
Reply Quote
Same here along with D/C's and studdering.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]