Diablo® III

Diablo 2: LoD Questions

Since Diablo 3 Inferno game play is really lack-luster, I figured I'd actually dust off my very old copy of Diablo 2: LoD and play it. Make fun of me for never making it past Act 2 in Diablo 2, but I would like some advice since I'm starting anew. Any suggestions to enhance my game experience? I'd like to play online, but if it's no better than single player, I'll play single player.

That being said, I play in windowed, maximized window so the games not stretched, and runs (From what I can tell) quite fast. I use Direct 3D, but I'm not sure if I should use something else. I heard "Gliders" (Whatever those are) are great to use, but I'm not sure if they are allowed at all in battle.net. Now, is there any tips you can give to me for a new player to Diablo 2? Such as newbie friendly class builds, classes in general, general hints and tips, etc.?

Much appreciated in advanced if anyone does reply.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Diablo 2 was optimized for 3dfx video cards, which used an API called Glide. Glide was semi-based on OpenGL, but it only has a fraction of the features of it. Anyway...since it was optimized for 3dfx cards, you get FAR better performance if you can use the Glide API than by using Direct3D.

3dfx went out of business years ago. BUT, there is a way you can use Glide on any video card. Someone made a Glide wrapper that basically "emulates" a 3dfx card, and lets you use Glide instead of Direct3D. It made a pretty big performance difference on my HD7950. And yes, this is fine to use on battle.net. It doesn't interface with the game at all...it works at the driver level.

http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/downloads.html
Edited by Saerydoth#1867 on 6/3/2012 6:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Diablo 2 was optimized for 3dfx video cards, which used an API called Glide. Glide was semi-based on OpenGL, but it only has a fraction of the features of it. Anyway...since it was optimized for 3dfx cards, you get FAR better performance if you can use the Glide API than by using Direct3D.

3dfx went out of business years ago. BUT, there is a way you can use Glide on any video card. Someone made a Glide wrapper that basically "emulates" a 3dfx card, and lets you use Glide instead of Direct3D. It made a pretty big performance difference on my HD7950. And yes, this is fine to use on battle.net. It doesn't interface with the game at all...it works at the driver level.

Tried that out online (Battle.net), and my FPS is going nuts! The screens tears constantly in the upper left of my screen when I play. I have no idea how to fix it, so I guess I'll stick to Direct 3D (It never ran slow when playing Diablo 2 so far), but if you find a fix I'll use it!
Reply Quote
I too can't get past act II, I'm stuck where the guy tells you to clear out his temple or something (Been a while).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

Tried that out online (Battle.net), and my FPS is going nuts! The screens tears constantly in the upper left of my screen when I play. I have no idea how to fix it, so I guess I'll stick to Direct 3D (It never ran slow when playing Diablo 2 so far), but if you find a fix I'll use it!

That's weird...did you run the detection utility to detect your card's OpenGL capabilities before dropping the .dll in the D2 directory and running? If you don't do that it will act weird.

That said, I am using an AMD card (HD7950). I don't know what you're using.
Reply Quote

That's weird...did you run the detection utility to detect your card's OpenGL capabilities before dropping the .dll in the D2 directory and running? If you don't do that it will act weird.

That said, I am using an AMD card (HD7950). I don't know what you're using.

I figured out what was my deal and why it was flickering so badly. V-sync wasn't enabled and apparently that actually removes the screen tearing issues. I haven't played in a few days so who knows if it was just because of a system restart. I'll be back to playing soonish though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]