I have 2 copies of Diablo 3, one i use for us server and the other i use for on non-us server (initial idea was to be able to use real money auction house for both servers that i play on). The following is one of my character on the non-us server.
You do not understand the description but if you do a quick mapping it is easy to tell my statistics. Not outstanding individually but not easy to get a high score on all of them. Act 3 and act 4 require a strong all round build and that is how i work towards my statistics.
Key statistics unbuffed:
- 9% Elite mob damage reduction (* hidden from statistics tab, derived from items desc *)
- 51% Block
- 26.26% Melee reduced damage
- 42% Total life bonus
- 19% Crowd control reduction
- 3790 Block amount
- 74% Overall damage reduction
- 18% Dodge
- 900 Life regen per second
- 2.0 Attack speed
- 8500 Armor
- 17,600 Dps
- 53,000 Health
- 600 All resist
- 617 Heal on hit
- 516 Thorns
- Frenzy (Maniac or Sidearm) - sword & shield build rely on attack speed and life on hit.
- Revenge (Provocation) - Must have
- War Cry (Impunity) - 100% up time, impunity is too good, must have
- Furious Charge (Dreadnought) - 10s CD 8% regen, must have
- Leap (Iron Impact) - low CD 40% up time of 300% armor, too good to past
- Threatening Shout (Falter) - Now this one we have a choice, either this or Ignore pain. Personally i perfer 100% up time of threatening shout over the ignore pain's longer CD. Act 3 & 4 mobs hit hard, i don't mind a 100% uptime of 20% reduction. I hate dying during ignore pain's downtime. 2 hander build may use ignore pain and try to kill things in 7 seconds, not me.
- Superstition - I need this for all the laser, fire, pool on the floor...etc
- Tough as Nails - Need the high increase in armor
- Nerves of Steel - this or if i am not doing group play act 3 or 4 I use Berserker Rage
Overall the most important factors that i consider when choosing skills are: low CD, high uptime & consistency in defense / performance.
With the gear i look like this: http://i.imgur.com/Kl9NJ.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/cWjUh.jpg
My gear break down as requested, i translated the important statistics best i can, hope it helps:
- The Helm of Command (60str, 86 vit, 8% block. +12% life)
- Vile Ward (59 str, 156 vit, 25 all resist, 158 armor)
- Blackthorne's Medal (37 str, 70 health, 15% attack speed, 445 heal on hit, +11% life)
- Immortal King's Soul Cage (147 vit, 58 all resist, 299 armor)
- Immortal King's Forge (41 str, 68 all resist, 4% melee dmg reduction)
- Strongarm Bracers (161 str, 56 all resist, +3% life, 82 armor, 2% crit)
- String of Ears (145 str, 19 all resist, heal on hit 80, 113 armor, 20% melee dmg reduction)
- Band of Fallen Heroes (71 str, 83 vit, 60 all resist, 2% elite dmg reduction)
- Justice Lantern (4-8 dmg, 42 str, 105 vit, 11% block)
- Blackthorne's Breeches (81str, 78 vit, 60 all resist, +3% life)
- A 1011 dps rare sword (155str, 108 vit, 24% attack speed)
- Stormshield (32% block, 89 str, 66 all resist, +13% life, 4% melee dmg reduction, 5% elite dmg reduction)
- Blackthorne's Boots (79 str, 12% movement speed, 2% elite dmg reduction)
All legendaries expect the ~1000+ dps one hand sword. Rare are sometimes better than legendaries. But in many cases (apart from weapon, true "A-grade" legendaries are better than rare because of the fact that it normally has a few more statistics). Not to mention the "looks" of legendaries are more bad-a@@ on your character model.
I do NOT claim i have the best gear in the game but i think it is fair to say my gears are good. I am no best player in the world but i would consider myself skillful and i pretty much know what i am doing.
Through this topic i would like to share with you information on:
How well a top geared Barbarian can performed in D3 (using the gear and build "allowed" by the game up-to-date). Barbarian being inbalance or not, you decide for yourself.
This topic is NOT about:
- How good or bad i am, if i have the skills...etc. I am not looking for justification or anything like that.
- How good my gear is and how much gold i spent in the auction house (a lot, let's just leave it at that)
- How i could do better if i change my statistics and build like this and that
With these gears how well do I perform (again, this is to give my fellow Barbarians an idea, there are people who play better or worse than me that's not the point):
*** Solo Act 2 ***
Trash, elite pack & boss: You destroy everything
*** Solo Act 3 ***
Trash, elite pack & boss: I can tank them all with ease, some of the elite pack takes a bit of time to kill due to the fact that i only have 17k dps. But overall no problem here.
*** Solo Act 4 ***
Trash, elite pack & boss: Trash and Diablo is no problem in tanking and killing. Took me around 15- 18 minutes to kill Diablo (again with my silly 17k dps). Elite pack i can tank but i need to focus and move away from the high damage spells, that is not the problem, but they take "forever" to kill. With my low dps and the fact that being melee i have to avoid the spells and at the same time chase them to try to get in a hit or two...you can imagine how long it takes and how frustrating this process is. At the end i can kill most of them yes, did i enjoy the process? Def NOT. I kill elite pack in act 4 just to prove to myself if i can do it with the gear and build i have, but after that, i do not bother fighting these dudes as it is not enjoyable and the drops are crap anyway.
*** Group Play of 4 People Act 2 ***
Trash, elite pack & boss: You are the god tank, people loves you, everyone adds you as friend and you will be able to enjoy the game. You perform pretty much the same as if you are doing solo. You tank everything and you are able to kill everything on your own when the others are all dead. At the moment, i have most fun doing act 2 group play.
*** Group Play of 4 People Act 3 ***
Trash, elite pack & boss: Trash and boss no problem as usual. Elite pack, you need the other dps classes to be very good and be able to survive and kill things for you. Our under power dps will take forever to kill things and some packs are even impossible. I give you an example. I was in a group fighting this pack. The other members keep dying and coming back to life and dying again...while i tank these f$ckers for like 20 mins, the elite just keeps splitting and mirroring and being melee i have no aoe and i kept trying to locate the real dude and hit him but my single target dps is so low...anyway you get the picture. No fun at all, most frustrating gaming experience even, at the end as you guessed it the only choice left is to just run past that pack.
*** Group Play of 4 People Act 4 ***
Trash, elite pack & boss: same story as above really, trash and boss are manageable. Even with my gear and build i am not able to tank the elite pack with ease, you will struggle and you will die. I don't bother doing group play in act 4. The game is broken here, may be it is the difficulties, elite mobs design or in balance whatever.
Some more thoughts on the class
Some claim a 2-hander build is viable. In act 3 and 4, running around waiting for 2 min CDs and hope for the best is not my play style. I do not enjoy doing that, being able to tank and kill things very slowly is not fun either but i still prefer this over the other. Videos may show you 2-handers can kill things but it does not show the "die 10 times" incidents.
Even with best gears the game has forced me into play a tank as many have said. No need to further mention our 15k dps vs DH 220dps case because others have already made enough noise on that.
I keep hearing players asking me where i get my gears from and where to find them...etc. The main purpose of my topic is to let people know what they can expect (performance wise) even after getting all the gears they dreamed for. I do not want people to spend hours after hours farming gold and be disappointed at the end. Is your time and effort worth it? It is up to the individual to decide. For me am i happy with the end game Barbarian's performance? I understand we may not be able to dps like the range classes (150k - 220k dps), but considering the much higher gear requirement of a melee class (much more effort, time and gold needed to get them), when i do manage to acquire a full set of god like gear, I did hope that i can tank well and be able to do decent dps. Meaning i am happy with my defensive statistics but considering the mobs high hp i do think our dps can be a bit more reasonable (up from 15k to 40k - 50k let say, not on the same level as range, but remember i am talking about end game "A-tier" gears here).
I hope to let players know what to expect and whether it is worth their time and effort or not. And i hope Blizzard sees this and hopefully make further improvement to our class in the ways they think suitable....