Diablo® III

Max Potential-Inferno Barbarian (Act3&4 Done)

- For both solo and group play in act 3 & 4, i am fine in dealing with all types of elites and elite skill set (laser, pool, fire ball...whatever), but there is one particular elite skill that frustrates the hell out of me -> the one that they split into 4-5 mirrored mobs. On my screen there are 15-20 of them.

i have found that in this case what works is to not let go of your primary attack mouse button once you nail the real monster. when he splits, your char will still follow the real one and attack it. this is the same as when you hold down your attack button for things that fly around and get knocked back or teleported (like skeleton king).

'hope that helps.

Dear Lorihole,

Thanks so much for your advice! I will make sure to try it!
Edited by Zero#1230 on 6/5/2012 1:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Goblin Hunter
Threatening shout is great for mobs with predictable and steady damage, but a huge problem with inferno is spike damage. This is why a lot of barbs are scared to lose their best "oh !@$?" button. You still have charge and leap plus a potion, but depending on the situation and your cool downs ignore pain can be a life saver.
Reply Quote
Hey
I've read your answers,and I still feel it wasnt full.
As I'm a tank in a hardcore raiding guild in WoW,the current state of Barbarians saddens me greatly.
I do not wish to be a selfsustaining tank in an ACTION rpg,I wish to smash faces,and kill things,I dont find it fun to turtle up in such a game (This is probably not fun for monks either)
I'm greatly awaiting 1.03,where they'll fix spikiness and allow more offensive builds to prosper,right now,lets face it,1h+shield is the only viable way,if you want 2h or DW,you are 100% forced into WOTB/insanity+EQ and you're a 2minute progresser,you can kill things every 2 minutes,and you tab out to watch !@#$ or something inbetween cooldowns.

I really hope the endgame role for monks and barbarians ISNT to be tank for a group and that we'll be able to have fun in a3 and a4 too with WHATEVER playstyle (as in ,1h+shield or 2h or DW) we choose to play

I absolutely do not enjoy playing as a low damage-barely surviving tank,that runs around ,and stuns,and then stuns,and then knockbacks maybe.This is not fun for me,and I find ranged even more boring,so this is a fail-fail situation.Melee is forced to be what I dont want to be in an ARGP and what I'M already in another game on hc level,the other option is even more boring ,aka being ranged.

Fury is quite broken in my opinion too.Many players (Almost everyone who wants to progress in inferno)just straight out neglect it,going with a fullfury build,0 spenders.
At low level,I enjoyed smashing with Hota,whirlwinding my way through a big pack ,I was even part of seismic slam fan club,because its such a good ability.

In endgame,you only use your fury for WOTB and in some other builds,for sprint or berserker rage but that's all,no real fury spender,you just get it to 100 and let the 25% increase passive kick in and forget it,no management,not even using it->I think it is broken quite a lot.

As for group play,there is nothing really to discuss,its VERY broken,tho probably easy to fix.
As we all know,every mob gets 15% damage increase and 110% hp increase for every party member.If they were to remove the damage increase,that alone would fix the whole situation,ranged wouldnt have to corpserun anymore everytime a springbreeze passes by and melee could do their thing too.
Edited by Nordixx#2264 on 6/6/2012 12:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/05/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Nakk
Threatening shout is great for mobs with predictable and steady damage, but a huge problem with inferno is spike damage. This is why a lot of barbs are scared to lose their best "oh !@$?" button. You still have charge and leap plus a potion, but depending on the situation and your cool downs ignore pain can be a life saver.

In act 3 & 4 i am often in a situation surrounded by 20-30 mobs and they hit me so hard and i die sometimes if i have ignore pain instead of threatening shout. Spike damage is from mob, consistent 20% reduction is my own buff (vs ignore pain's 23 - 25s down time). Not talking about a particular encounter but overall my own experience is that I die less with threatening shout myself. Again this is a matter of preference and play style and i respect that.
Reply Quote
Hey
I've read your answers,and I still feel it wasnt full.
As I'm a tank in a hardcore raiding guild in WoW,the current state of Barbarians saddens me greatly.
I do not wish to be a selfsustaining tank in an ACTION rpg,I wish to smash faces,and kill things,I dont find it fun to turtle up in such a game (This is probably not fun for monks either)
I'm greatly awaiting 1.03,where they'll fix spikiness and allow more offensive builds to prosper,right now,lets face it,1h+shield is the only viable way,if you want 2h or DW,you are 100% forced into WOTB/insanity+EQ and you're a 2minute progresser,you can kill things every 2 minutes,and you tab out to watch !@#$ or something inbetween cooldowns.

I really hope the endgame role for monks and barbarians ISNT to be tank for a group and that we'll be able to have fun in a3 and a4 too with WHATEVER playstyle (as in ,1h+shield or 2h or DW) we choose to play

I absolutely do not enjoy playing as a low damage-barely surviving tank,that runs around ,and stuns,and then stuns,and then knockbacks maybe.This is not fun for me,and I find ranged even more boring,so this is a fail-fail situation.Melee is forced to be what I dont want to be in an ARGP and what I'M already in another game on hc level,the other option is even more boring ,aka being ranged.

Fury is quite broken in my opinion too.Many players (Almost everyone who wants to progress in inferno)just straight out neglect it,going with a fullfury build,0 spenders.
At low level,I enjoyed smashing with Hota,whirlwinding my way through a big pack ,I was even part of seismic slam fan club,because its such a good ability.

In endgame,you only use your fury for WOTB and in some other builds,for sprint or berserker rage but that's all,no real fury spender,you just get it to 100 and let the 25% increase passive kick in and forget it,no management,not even using it->I think it is broken quite a lot.

As for group play,there is nothing really to discuss,its VERY broken,tho probably easy to fix.
As we all know,every mob gets 15% damage increase and 110% hp increase for every party member.If they were to remove the damage increase,that alone would fix the whole situation,ranged wouldnt have to corpserun anymore everytime a springbreeze passes by and melee could do their thing too.

We feel your pain. I agree with you on the wait for CDs playstyle of a 2 hander build, also you will also die a lot more than a tankish build too (some can bear with it some cannot). With my build i use no fury (because i cannot affort to give up a defensive skill slot), not a drop so yeah no more fun in being able to smash things up with offensive spells...

I think they designed D3 "end game" with a little too much WoW influence. If you think about it:

In WoW being a tank you do not expect yourself to be able to do good dps, being a dps (melee / range) you do not expect to be able to tank, and of course you need the healers somewhere too. Being the tank or any other class you do not expect to be able to down elite or boss on your own but we are fine with that because it is an MMO.

Now in D3 act 3 & act 4:
- Range are complaining they die too easy, they need a tank and healer would be nice too.
- 2 hander Barbarians are complaining they die too easy, they would love a tank for all mobs to focus on so that they can dps and have fun.
- Sword & board are complaining they cannot kill things fast enough and they need good dps players around in order to enjoy the game (the ones who group play act 3 & 4 will know what i mean)

So you see what i am getting at here. Maybe they design the game thinking D3 end game should be like WoW end content raiding in some ways: Your character at end game can be super powerful but only in once aspect, either dps or tank, you are not suppose to be powerful "all round". But D3 players expect D3 to be different, melee characters want to be powerful "all round" because unlike WoW being a MMO, D3 is suppose to be design with the single player mode as priority.

We do not want / should not require the holy trinity setup (tank/dps/healer) in order to enjoy the game!

Maybe Blizzard's design concept of end game and what players expect from D3 (expectation gap) is what is causing all the complains about Barbarians or other class being inbalance / underpower. Just another perspective on end game...
Reply Quote
Group Play of 4 People Act 2
Trash, elite pack & boss: You are the god tank, people loves you, everyone adds you as friend and you will be able to enjoy the game. You perform pretty much the same as if you are doing solo. You tank everything and you are able to kill everything on your own when the others are all dead. At the moment, i have most fun doing act 2 group play.

+100 to this. I run people through Belial all the time at random, it's tons of fun and you are guaranteed to get appreciative people in every game. Most fun in the game imo.
Edited by AmyWinehouse#1800 on 6/6/2012 6:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey Zero, thanks for this thread. I had asked a day or two again, but I guess the question was missed. I'll ask again: How come Vile Ward over rare shoulders that could have more Str, Vit, Res?
Reply Quote
Very interesting that you went the full legendary route, probably that's why your AR is a tad lower than other Act3/4 barbs. However, the 52% block more than made up for the lost in VIT and AR.

I also have a few pieces of legendaries, while others are in rares. Rares give more raw stats and cost less, but you absolutely need the melee reduction/block provided by the legendaries.

I have a 20% SoE, HoC, justice lantern. Didn't get the stormshield yet as my shield is actually quite godly with +10k HP and 70 AR. I'm surviving in Act 3 just fine, there aren't many things I can't kill.

I think for rings and armulets, it is much better to spend more on legendaries than perfectly rolled rare rings. They are both cheaper and more available, you also have more choices between different legendary rings/armulets.

Rings like OP's Justice Lantern, Band of fallen heroes; or Eternal Union and Bul thos' wedding band are all great ring you can pick up for not very much. Some cost more, and some cost less.

Amulets like Kymbo's Gold and blackthorns are also great armulets that guarantees great stats.

I also recommand Helm of Command as one of the first items you pick up from the AH, there is a huge supply of them and they are irreplaceable.
Edited by Mioraka#1913 on 6/6/2012 6:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Group Play of 4 People Act 2
Trash, elite pack & boss: You are the god tank, people loves you, everyone adds you as friend and you will be able to enjoy the game. You perform pretty much the same as if you are doing solo. You tank everything and you are able to kill everything on your own when the others are all dead. At the moment, i have most fun doing act 2 group play.

+100 to this. I run people through Belial all the time at random, it's tons of fun and you are guaranteed to get appreciative people in every game. Most fun in the game imo.

Exactly. But we want to perform like this in inferno act 1 to 4 then i don't even mind losing out of dps. It does get a bit bored running act 2 all the time, personally act 3 is my favorite, but you will also agree act 3 group play is not the same game as act 2 group play....lol
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 06:30 AMPosted by Legion
Hey Zero, thanks for this thread. I had asked a day or two again, but I guess the question was missed. I'll ask again: How come Vile Ward over rare shoulders that could have more Str, Vit, Res?

Yes you are right, a very good rare shoulder piece will have statistics the same or better than the one i am wearing. From what i remember i found a really good deal on this late at night, and i really like the "look" of it (best looking shoulder piece imo) so i just kept wearing it considering the statistics were not too bad:

59 str
156 vit
25 all resist
158 armor
225 health regen

Sorry i miss your post initially :)
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 07:25 AMPosted by Zero

Yes you are right, a very good rare shoulder piece will have statistics the same or better than the one i am wearing. From what i remember i found a really good deal on this late at night, and i really like the "look" of it (best looking shoulder piece imo) so i just kept wearing it considering the statistics were not too bad:

59 str
156 vit
25 all resist
158 armor
225 health regen

Sorry i miss your post initially :)

I have something similar as well, I think with more str and less vit. It does have a bit of armor so that isn't too bad. The life regen is always nice to have. And you are right, this shoulder looks awesome. Thanks for the reply.
Reply Quote
Isnt there forums for people overseas
Reply Quote
Very interesting that you went the full legendary route, probably that's why your AR is a tad lower than other Act3/4 barbs. However, the 52% block more than made up for the lost in VIT and AR.

I also have a few pieces of legendaries, while others are in rares. Rares give more raw stats and cost less, but you absolutely need the melee reduction/block provided by the legendaries.

I have a 20% SoE, HoC, justice lantern. Didn't get the stormshield yet as my shield is actually quite godly with +10k HP and 70 AR. I'm surviving in Act 3 just fine, there aren't many things I can't kill.

I think for rings and armulets, it is much better to spend more on legendaries than perfectly rolled rare rings. They are both cheaper and more available, you also have more choices between different legendary rings/armulets.

Rings like OP's Justice Lantern, Band of fallen heroes; or Eternal Union and Bul thos' wedding band are all great ring you can pick up for not very much. Some cost more, and some cost less.

Amulets like Kymbo's Gold and blackthorns are also great armulets that guarantees great stats.

I also recommand Helm of Command as one of the first items you pick up from the AH, there is a huge supply of them and they are irreplaceable.

Dear Mioraka,

You know your legendary items :) I started off by saving up on gold and trading legendary items in the first place, so i ended up knowing a little more about them than rare items. To include rare items there will just be too many for me to track effectively.

Like you mentioned people may think legendary items are always overpriced and cost more than good rare items. But a lot of the items i am wearing i bought with cheaper price than the super rare items listed.

For players who are interested in Helm of Command, if you already have enough "block" & "all resist" (let say 35%+ block & 800+ all resist) OR if the Helm of Command has no socket, you may consider buying Mempo of Twilight instead because the sweet attack speed on that along with other well rolled statistics is more worth it imo.
Reply Quote
I think LoH is very important. I went from 800dps weapon to a 600dps with 600 LoH and managed to kill champs/elites much better in Act 2 Inferno
Edited by boobjob#1803 on 6/6/2012 7:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 07:52 AMPosted by boobjob
I think LoH is very important. I went from 800dps weapon to a 600dps with 600 LoH and managed to kill champs/elites much better in Act 2 Inferno

In fact LoH is what i will focus on with my next weapon upgrade (if that even happens), but the prices on a sword with 600+ LoH, with socket, str, vit, attack speed % & + damage % is something out of my reach now (So far i have only seen one with all the above included).

For my own setup i prioritize LoH a bit lower because i am doing fine in defense with my 51% block right now, that would vary from build to build, but yes definitely LoH is important.
Reply Quote
Hello,

I'd like to start by saying thanks to both Zero and Pharmosh on there posts really has placed a benchmark for me, I've been stuck on act 2 of inferno for like 3 days now! lol.
That one I'll thank blizzard for later!!

At the moment I've been building towards a tank build unfortunately it's sacraficed a fairbit of armor and dps, I'm pretty much regarded a walking punching bag (not the fun play i was looking for!).

@ Zero how is it possible that you have farmed that much gear o.O it's amazing that your so ahead, thanks for the gear breakdown looks like a great way to go.

@ Pharmosh , think you can post a breakdown of your gear build, i'd love to take the dps route if it's a viable option and your build looks like a great benchmark, if not think i can add you?

Thanks everyone yet again.
Edited by IbzaH#1908 on 6/6/2012 9:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
In act 3 and 4, running around waiting for 2 min CDs and hope for the best is not my play style. I do not enjoy doing that, being able to tank and kill things very slowly is not fun either but i still prefer this over the other

I have the same exact spec as this guy and I can't agree with this statement more. Props.
Reply Quote
I'm not sure if you guys have seen my Act 4 video but if you want to see how I play without waiting for cooldowns, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuNKwkioib4

This is how I imagine Blizzard wanted the game to be played as a Barbarian so I strived for the gear to accomplish it.

Hello,

I'd like to start by saying thanks to both Zero and Pharmosh on there posts really has placed a benchmark for me, I've been stuck on act 2 of inferno for like 3 days now! lol.
That one I'll thank blizzard for later!!

At the moment I've been building towards a tank build unfortunately it's sacraficed a fairbit of armor and dps, I'm pretty much regarded a walking punching bag (not the fun play i was looking for!).

@ Zero how is it possible that you have farmed that much gear o.O it's amazing that your so ahead, thanks for the gear breakdown looks like a great way to go.

@ Pharmosh , think you can post a breakdown of your gear build, i'd love to take the dps route if it's a viable option and your build looks like a great benchmark, if not think i can add you?

Thanks everyone yet again.

http://i.imgur.com/KSjqx.jpg

That was a screenshot of my gear from a few days ago. Some pieces have changed since then (weapon and belt).

Yup, feel free to add me. Maybe include a short message saying you asked to add me first, I get a lot of friends requests and my friends list is full, so I have to delete people to add new people.
Reply Quote
Been reading and following your suggestions for a barb build and I suppose i have a question or two. My current stats are roughly 900 resist all, 37k hp, 32%block n 1200 life on hit but i still seem to be dieing in the later acts. Ive been trying your Skill Builds as a 1 hander n shield user but I still die from trash packs in 3 & 4. Any suggestions on what I should focus more on? Like drop some resist for more Vit? Appreciate any tips you have
Reply Quote
Oh and My dps is around 15K. Forgot to mention that part. Any help from Zero or Pharmosh would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]