Diablo® III

Session Spoofing

You're an idiot. You do know that there is a HUGE difference between 'Hacking' a Diablo 3 account and ACTUALLY STEALING MONEY right? Right? Please tell you you do.

Here's a tip just in case you don't: One is a federal offense, and the other is just a breach of Terms of Service. You get to pick which is which.

Now take off your tinfoil hat you 12 year old.

...except you can and will get arrested for simply hacking. You don't even need to take anything - just by messing up a website, you can and will go to federal prison. People have gone to prison for hacking into people's game accounts before, something on a mass scale like this will be looked upon as a crime.

Now take off your tinfoil hat you 12 year old.

In the countries they operate it is not illegal, and so they can easily get away with it.

In the countries they operate it is not illegal, and so they can easily get away with it.

Okay, I didn't consider the laws of other countries. But assuming that they want a "safe" method of profit, they could sell the massive list of accounts/passwords to a black market for 33-50% of the profit - which would still net them over several dozen times as much as simple D3 accounts.

They run websites where they sell gold, this is the only source of gold for real cash for players until the RMAH comes out, people are buying it and they are profiting, this is their business, these aren't snot nosed lone hackers sitting in their basements, this is a business.
06/04/2012 07:25 AMPosted by Vadoff
Okay, I didn't consider the laws of other countries. But assuming that they want a "safe" method of profit, they could sell the massive list of accounts/passwords to a black market for 33-50% of the profit - which would still net them over several dozen times as much as simple D3 accounts and be of even less risk than the hacking of d3 accounts.

Pretty sure some of the more organized groups actually do both (hack and sell the lists).

Just because only 1 person makes a thread about it doesn't mean that's the only person getting hacked.

Just because only 8 people make a thread about it, doesn't mean that they're the only people getting hacked.

And just because there are 8 "toons" making threads about it, does not mean that 8 separate accounts were hacked. people have been know to make multiple and threads on multiple Alts.
82 Tauren Warrior
06/04/2012 07:14 AMPosted by Ewing
This again: Because stealing Pixels, is safer for them then stealing real money.

This beggers the question though, how will authorities treat pixel vs real money, when the pixels were bought with real money? If they hack and steal good bought with real money, it could be considered fraud...
80 Dwarf Shaman
Like I said, the evidence just stacks against this being "just another keylogging".

The evidence points to it being just another keylogger. Dumb@ss conspiracy theorists that like to see things that aren't there are pointing to it being something else.
06/03/2012 09:54 PMPosted by Set
People also doubt moon landing but believe wrestling is real.

thank you kind soul
Lol. So if Blizzard tells you that there is nothing wrong then there is nothing wrong? I guess that means you put complete faith in what the government tells you.
80 Dwarf Shaman
06/04/2012 07:41 AMPosted by Tamagatchi
Lol. So if Blizzard tells you that there is nothing wrong then there is nothing wrong? I guess that means you put complete faith in what the government tells you.

I'd rather believe Blizzard or the Government than some of these people who have proven themselves to be the bottom of the barrel when it comes to common sense and have room temperature IQ.
For the record, nobody is taking the items off of characters and holding them to sell on the AH.

They really just want the quick gold. They sell the items becaue the script makes it super easy to do so. It is a bot. AutoIt and the like exist. It is very simple to write a quick script that logs in, join a particular game, runs to stash, clicks on all areas to pull shared stash into character screen, run to vendor, click all areas to sell items to vendor, run to 3rd party who is standing in the same spot and trade all the gold to that 3rd party.

That is just one script. At that point, they release the character and do it again. If they can net 500,000 gold per character, they are making about $10 per the rates that are popping up in general chat. $10 for about 1 minute of a running script.

I don't know if individual items have some sort of item code, but I would imagine not wanting any kind of tracking to be able to link back to me, if I were a bad guy. So, I wouldn't bother trying to sell stuff on the AH. That can take days, and with only 10 acutions maximum, it severely limits profitibility. You would have to take the time to sift through each individiual item to find one of maximum value. And honestly? That takes a lot of time for just another $10 to $20 in real funds (1 mill gold). I could just sell that stuff for the incremental cash, and move on to the next guy.

Run script. Make $10. Run script. Make $10.
80 Dwarf Shaman
06/04/2012 07:42 AMPosted by Vadoff

The evidence points to it being just another keylogger. Dumb@ss conspiracy theorists that like to see things that aren't there are pointing to it being something else.

Then argue against my points with logic. Otherwise, you're just someone that's sucking Blizzard's ****, and not seeing things that are right in front of you.

I have argued with logic. Logic has been put in front of you time and again and you seem to continue to ignore it or outright deny its existence. You wouldn't know logic if it hit you across the face, grabbed your mouth, and sh!t down your throat.
Common sense? How about this for common sense. More people play WoW than Diablo 3. How come there is no major issue with WoW accounts being compromised? However for Diablo 3, it has happened to many people who has joined a public game. But, I don't deny that some people may have compromised systems, but that does not account for all the accounts having problems. And with the frequency of it happening, I'll say something else is at hand. Common sense.
Edited by Tamagatchi#1304 on 6/4/2012 7:49 AM PDT
06/04/2012 07:33 AMPosted by Óðinn
This again: Because stealing Pixels, is safer for them then stealing real money.

This beggers the question though, how will authorities treat pixel vs real money, when the pixels were bought with real money? If they hack and steal good bought with real money, it could be considered fraud...

It could considered fraud in a lot of counties, just not in the countries they operate out of. What you don't realize is; Most of the areas they operate out of are fairly impoverish. As I said: "Never underestimate the power of a industry that provide gainful employment to a large number of the local community." Nor of a well placed bribe for that matter.

I have argued with logic. Logic has been put in front of you time and again and you seem to continue to ignore it or outright deny its existence. You wouldn't know logic if it hit you across the face, grabbed your mouth, and sh!t down your throat.

Let me just ask you about my last point, why would these hackers not touch the victimized D3 players' WoW accounts? Why not, if they truly have access to the victim's username and password, and are only in this to steal "pixels" and not risk stealing actual cash (even though it's still a crime in the US/UK, but assuming these hackers are in another country, unfamiliar with the law, stupid, etc).

Because since there is an expansion that is coming out soon the market for WoW accounts and gold isn't going to be doing that good.

Once Mists of Pandaria come out there will likely be a very strong rise in WoW hackings.

D3 gold right now is especially valueable because D3 is both new and the RMAH isn't out yet.

Once the RMAH is out those gold selling companies won't be able to get ridiculous prices like 20-30 dollars per million gold.

So they stand to make a lot more money by spending their time only dealing with D3 to get as many D3 accounts as possible.
Edited by Valnar#1898 on 6/4/2012 7:53 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]