Diablo® III

The Prophet is Malthael

100 Night Elf Druid
I don't know if this can really even be called a theory since it seems almost implied, but I'm pretty sure the Prophet who the Enchantress talks about so much was in fact Malthael. The Prophet was an angel, and Eirena said the Prophet seems to be missing, while Malthael has also gone missing. So I would say that Malthael is the Prophet, and searching for him is probably going to be an expansion subject.

Seriously though, where could Malthael have gone? None of the angels seem to have a clue, and you'd think they could sense him if he was in Heaven, Sanctuary or even Hell. In fact they'd probably even be able to find him if he was in Pandemonium, and I'm sure they looked there. How does an angel hide himself that well?
Reply Quote
Yeah I have the same theory and made a post about it. Auriel in a book found in act 4 says that Tyrael claims that he is wondering Pandemonium searching for something.
Reply Quote
The prophet is not Malthael, the prophet is Inarius.

If you have the book of cain you can read it in the chapter on 'the sin war' where it says Inarius created his own religion to counter the Triune and took on the mantle of 'the Prophet'.
Reply Quote
@Dathrel

Mr. Dirach is correct in his assertions that Inarius is the one spoken of as "The Prophet".
Inarius, along with the demon Lilith, were responsible for giving birth to the Nephalem... ancestors to the current inhabitants of Sanctuary.

This information was outlined in the Diablo novels "The Sin War" Trilogy, and then reiterated again in "The Book of Cain".
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior

If you have the book of cain you can read it in the chapter on 'the sin war' where it says Inarius created his own religion to counter the Triune and took on the mantle of 'the Prophet'.

Inarius was a prophet, but not the prophet that the enchantress is talking about. The sin war occured long before the enchantress was taught and sealed and Inarius didnt give a rats !@# about helping the future of man do anything except serve him.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

Inarius was a prophet, but not the prophet that the enchantress is talking about. The sin war occured long before the enchantress was taught and sealed and Inarius didnt give a rats !@# about helping the future of man do anything except serve him.

^ This.
Reply Quote
I would also say the Prophet is Malthael, because he was the arch-angel of wisdom, what better angel to be able to hide himself and help humans, than the wisest of them all. He could probably keep himself hidden from the scroll of fate as well since I think I remember in act 4 Ithereal saying something about the The Prophet the Enchantress is talking about, not being in the scroll of fate. But then again theres the dying angel who handed the Enchantress the piece of paper, I'm sure we all agree he wasn't the Prophet but I am assuming he was an angel under Maltheal, who knew what Maltheal had done. I am kinda making sense and not at the same time so ill stop there.
Reply Quote
Wait... Inarius was sentenced to the burning depths of hell imprisoned in a mirrored structure, his eyelids ripped off, forced to look at the deformities that he now has. So he had to be the "Prophet" before any of this happened.
Reply Quote
22 Human Warlock
@Phlop, I believe Blizzard retconned that part about Inarius and his followers becoming the first Overlords, I believe no one in Sanctuary/High Heavens really know where Overlords come from/are made(if they even exist still in the lore)
Reply Quote
bottom line question is... where the hell is Malthael?
Maybe in D3 expansion?
Reply Quote
The Sin War was time period in Sanctuary's early history which began shortly after the Burning Hells became aware of Sanctuary's existence. This led to them creating the Triune, a religion aimed at turning humanity into servants of Hell. Their efforts were countered by Inarius who started his own religion, the Cathedral of Light, in order to combat Hell's growing influence. In their struggle a human by the name of Uldyssian rose from his simple farmer background. He was the first to have the powers of the nephalem awakened inside of him, and realizing that both the Cathedral and Triune were fronts for more sinister beings, he gathered other individuals like him and waged war against the two great religions. This conflict was the Sin War, and it culminated with both Heaven and Hell invading Sanctuary and shortly thereafter being thwarted single handedly by Uldyssian, who had at that point acquired god-like powers. His effort ultimately destroyed him, and led both the High Heavens and the Burning Hells into a permanent peace treaty, which has lasted to the present day.

Indeed, the prophet is Inarius, I am a bit of a D3 Lore nerd (I won my d3 beta key from the real time IRC contest held by BlizzPlanet)

If you have any questions, I am more then able to fully explain why Inarius is the prophet in mention.

If you'd like my assumption as to the location of malthael, I'd be happy to share it with you.
Reply Quote
06/04/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Ortgrale

This is also not exactly correct.

Inarius cared plenty about the fate of man kind, he realized how dangerous man would become if an asset to the powers of hell.

He did have his plans to destroy mankind, but he set up his failsafes in case.
Reply Quote
From the enchantress

Player: Do you recall more now?

Enchantress Eirena: Yes, faintly. My sisters and I were once mere servants in the house of a great Vizjerei lord.

Notice here how she say's she was a servant in the house of a Vizjerei Lord? Remember that.

Vizjerei were one of the 3 major mage clans, they specialized in demon and demon accessories.

Okay, now, something else to remember now....

The Vizjerei Clan was in fact one of the three primary (and most powerful) Mage Clans on Sanctuary. Due to the actions of a young and promising mage - an acolyte claiming to possess the power to command the spirits of the dead - the Vizjerei Clan was also known as the Spirit Clan. It was later revealed that the 'spirits' were in fact demons, making the Vizjerei one of the first Mage Clans wielding demonic magic.

It wasn't till the sin war that it became knowledge that these were demons they were summoning. Remember how the enchantress referred to them as demons?

Malthael is _not_ the prophet, yet it is still Inarius who we call the prophet.

If you wish to know where malthael is?

I'll give you a hint. Trang-Oul
Reply Quote
Inarius is THE Prophet. In the Sin War Trilogy he is mentioned as such for 2 and 1/2 books.

Also if I am not mistaken, this is also clarified in A3/A4 Lore from Tyrael.
Edited by Graverobber#1713 on 2/27/2013 3:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
From the enchantress

Player: Do you recall more now?

Enchantress Eirena: Yes, faintly. My sisters and I were once mere servants in the house of a great Vizjerei lord.

Notice here how she say's she was a servant in the house of a Vizjerei Lord? Remember that.

Vizjerei were one of the 3 major mage clans, they specialized in demon and demon accessories.

Okay, now, something else to remember now....

The Vizjerei Clan was in fact one of the three primary (and most powerful) Mage Clans on Sanctuary. Due to the actions of a young and promising mage - an acolyte claiming to possess the power to command the spirits of the dead - the Vizjerei Clan was also known as the Spirit Clan. It was later revealed that the 'spirits' were in fact demons, making the Vizjerei one of the first Mage Clans wielding demonic magic.

It wasn't till the sin war that it became knowledge that these were demons they were summoning. Remember how the enchantress referred to them as demons?

Malthael is _not_ the prophet, yet it is still Inarius who we call the prophet.

If you wish to know where malthael is?

I'll give you a hint. Trang-Oul

I don't think he is Trag'oul by any means. He is his own character in the Sin War Trilogy and his sole purpose is the preservation of balance. He is the Diety behind the progenitor, Rathma , of the Necromancers or The Cult of Rathma.
Edited by Graverobber#1713 on 2/27/2013 3:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Maybe the Angels can't find him cause at some point he gave up his immortality like Tyreal?
Reply Quote
I think maltael has hidden himself in the void. Also maybe he used a shard of the worldstone and is using it to hide himself from the angels and demons. We dont know for sure. All answers are opions and speculation right now.
Reply Quote
View profile
i seriously doubt it has anything to do with Malthael, but i doubt it has anything to do with inaris either because he was banished to hell for eternity long,long ago. before the time of the enchantress i believe.

fact is, the Prophet of which she speaks is unknown.
Reply Quote
. . . And, at the End of Days, Wisdom shall be lost as Justice falls upon the world of men. Valor shall turn to Wrath -and all Hope will be swallowed by Despair.Death, at last, shall spread its wings over all -as fate lies shattered forever.

Mathiel has become the Death itself. They cant find him because he's no longer a angel, but death incarnate.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]