Diablo® III

Linux / Wine issues

Reported for sticky. Also experiencing this.

Seriously Blizzard, if I keep being unable to play I may get a serious amount of work done.

Tragedy! Baleful misfortune!
Reply Quote
Reported for sticky. Also experiencing this.

Seriously Blizzard, if I keep being unable to play I may get a serious amount of work done.

ya .. I was just about to finish Act I Inferno so this is probably a sign from FSM to take a break.

for what its worth , I am running Fedora 17 64bit with unpatched wine 1.5.3. Everything was working fine for me til I tried logging in evening of 6/5. Since then, if I can login I cannot create games or use the AH.
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 08:25 PMPosted by TityBlaster
How do we get them as an audience? Do we all need to create support tickets?

How else would they know you exist? Support tickets allow them to categorize and measure the impact relative to other support requests - and appropriately prioritize a resolution.

The forums on the other hand are mostly just noise.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
New as of 10:13pm MST 6/6, I now hang at 'Authenticating Credentials' instead of 'Retrieving Hero List'.

Maybe they're working on it?
Reply Quote
New as of 10:13pm MST 6/6, I now hang at 'Authenticating Credentials' instead of 'Retrieving Hero List'.

Maybe they're working on it?

It is the same issue, I have seen both depending on how long it takes for the mystery Warden to spike your CPU usage and hang the process.

The European Servers I think are down due to patch upgrades, so I can't log into them. But if I try the system gives me my cancel button, and I can cancel the login and the CPU usage of the process doesn't spike. My guess is this issue is still limited to the America Servers, and since it is most likely linked to Warden will only be fixed in secret backroom deals if they care to tweak it for us lowly linux users.

I don't buy many games because I try to get ones that work well in Linux, and blizzard games have always traditionally done well. I purchased Diablo 3 since it was reported to work well (and did work well). So my biggest gripe was this issue is it was added to the game after we all bought it. Hopefully someone in the backroom of Warden Black Magic our voice is heard and they will try to isolate the issue since it is only on the America Servers at the moment.

Though in the past I had WoW unplayable for up to a week with new patches and wine, give it some time. I'm still hoping that as is traditional with Blizzard games it will work fairly well in wine in a few days. I have my fingers crossed I can be slaying the minions of hell again soon.
Reply Quote
Ah, I would love being able to play D3 without rebooting on Windows (which is the only thing I use Windows for).

I add my voice to those requesting better support for Wine! Blizzard, heed our call!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Hmm... Earlier today everything was working fine. Now my 64-bit Ubuntu is hanging at autenticating/character list. I just switched to the 32-bit Ubuntu which I installed for the "You have been removed from the game" bug, and it worked the first time. Could they actually be related?

Notes:
  • This was only one attempt, so perhaps I got lucky?
  • I feel like this [login issue] only happens to me when I try to log in around 9pm PST. Perhaps it has to do with server load, too? At 5pm PST and 12pm PST it always seems to work fine.
  • If I try enough times, I seem to get through eventually. The greying out of the cancel button is fun, though, since I get to kill the client over and over...
  • Reply Quote
    Requested sticky.

I'm on Gentoo 64bit and using PlayOnLinux. Last night, I kept getting the "You've been removed from the game" error. At around 3PM today, it worked GREAT for several hours. I just tried logging on again at around 9PM and it won't get past retrieving heroes. I've probably killed/restarted Diablo3 like 10 times, and it hangs at the same place every time.
    Reply Quote
    Ok, after the patch, I get stuck at Retrieving Hero List. Using Ubuntu 10.04 and Wine 1.4. It just sits there for minutes, and if I want to exit the program, I have to do a force quit.
    Reply Quote
    sticky requested, ticket filed.

stuck at retrieving hero as well... Peppermint Two 64-bit (Ubuntu 11.04 variant), patched 1.5.4 Wine via POL.
    Reply Quote
    06/06/2012 10:09 PMPosted by Calcularius
    Ok, after the patch, I get stuck at Retrieving Hero List. Using Ubuntu 10.04 and Wine 1.4. It just sits there for minutes, and if I want to exit the program, I have to do a force quit.

Since you're up, and your having this issue discussed here
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271607015?page=17

I know it's a lot to ask but if you're on a 64bit OS and have more then 2-4 Gigs of ram could you try to reduce your ram to less than 2 or maybe just less than 4.

32Bit Linux works fine, but has less ram. I believe Warden is trying to cycle though all the ram and is getting caught in a 64bit to 32bit catch 22. It wants to scan ram that it's not able to properly see. Resulting in it looping forever to try and get to it. It can never respond back so the connection is dropped and the system is pegged at 100% because the system is stuck in an Infinite loop. If I'm right then less ram will fix it.

I'd do it myself but I just spent an hour installing 32bit Mint, and have to do some tricks to get 64bit back on my SSD drive along with pulling the chips after that is done.
    Reply Quote
    Was mildly annoying, but I tried it. I have 4 x 4GB normally, so I shutdown and popped 3 of them out. Unfortunately I can't get lower than 4GB (don't have any <4GB compatible sticks laying around). But with just 4GB, it still does the same thing it's doing for everyone else....
    Stuck at Authentication checkbox, CPUs getting pegged. Well, I have a Intel i5 with 4 cores, no hyperthreading and each of the cores averages about 25-30% when I try to log in. I guess that's equivalent to a single CPU maxing out. Either way, it's FAR more CPU usage than the game uses just before I log in.
    Reply Quote
    Experiencing the same thing (hang on first step of authentication, or hang on hero list if i try the POL trick) on 64bit xubuntu (3.2.0-24 generic) 8GB RAM, i7

I did not install it before this evening, so I do not have a baseline or proof that this would have worked (for me) before today.
    Reply Quote
    So, umm. This just worked for me, and let me login. Vaux nailed it. It does, in fact, appear to be a memory limit issue. This used to be a problem with WoW, as seen here: http://www.limitlessfx.com/wine-world-of-warcraft-crash-4gb.html

setarch i386 -3 -L -B -R wine ~/path/to/Diablo\ III.exe

I don't have my bugzilla credentials ATM - somebody please post this to issue 30849 if they can confirm that this works.
    Edited by North#1242 on 6/6/2012 10:53 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    So, umm. This just worked for me, and let me login. Vaux nailed it. It does, in fact, appear to be a memory limit issue. This used to be a problem with WoW, as seen here: http://www.limitlessfx.com/wine-world-of-warcraft-crash-4gb.html

I don't have my bugzilla credentials ATM - somebody please post this to issue 30849 if they can confirm that this works.

Confirmed here too. I think just pulling RAM out doesn't change the memory addressing scheme.
    Reply Quote
    So now what? Do we submit a ticket to blizzard explaining to them that they have a memory bug in Warden?
    Reply Quote
    06/06/2012 11:02 PMPosted by Vaux
    So now what? Do we submit a ticket to blizzard explaining to them that they have a memory bug in Warden?

Unfortunately, I think it would be closed as Not a Bug. I'm trying to argue our case to Mike Morhaime - he's usually good at responding, so we'll see what he says in the morning.
    Reply Quote

Wow, great job! That works perfectly for me. It also gives us an easy way to A/B the behavior between the two, which could help lead us toward a root cause.
    Reply Quote
    So, we only had to search back to an old WoW WINE Warden issue to find our D3 fix. Now that's sad. Blizzard doesn't seem to learn anything as a collective.

Apparently Blizzard explicitly patched WoW's Warden to play well with WINE a long time ago.
    Edited by Spike#1118 on 6/6/2012 11:15 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

Wow, great job! That works perfectly for me. It also gives us an easy way to A/B the behavior between the two, which could help lead us toward a root cause.

I was able to reduce the working setarch command down to:

setarch i386 -3 wine ~/path/to/Diablo\ III.exe

Or in my case,

setarch i386 -3 playonlinux

The rest of the command-line flags seem unnecessary.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]