Diablo® III

Linux / Wine issues

adding 1.5.5-DiabloIII_v3 of wine in diablo3 POL configure window fixes the problem (at least for me)
Reply Quote
I compounded the line to lower the RAM and to use only 1 core:
setarch i386 -3 wine taskset -c 0 wine "Diablo III.exe" -launch
Works like a charm.
Thank you Vaux, thank you all people finding solutions to those issues, you rock.
Reply Quote
This has been more of a group effort. All I did was Nuke and Pave my OS on my first wedding anniversary (blizz is lucky my wife is forgiving and we planned to celebrate this weekend) to confirm that it is not an issue with 32 bit, and I suggested that the only major difference had to be memory. Others actually looked into the setarch command and now the Wine patch for memory addressing (if you want to compile your own wine without using setarch). Now I need to get my 64bit OS back up. Cant run WinXP in virtual box very well on only 3 Gigs of ram.
Reply Quote
06/07/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Vaux
This has been more of a group effort.

These things always are. The Linux community has a knack for working together to solve a common problem.

It makes me sad when I consider the combined amount of time that has to be spent on issues like these. A lot of that initial effort was wasted because the behavior of the problem changed.

This is a great example of how Blizzard could prevent these types of issues, with very little effort on their part. Compounded with the fact that they've had this exact issue before in WoW is frustrating, at best.
Reply Quote
Hi.
I installed diablo3 using POL and after few tweaks i can log in the game. Problem is that fps bounce from 5 to 30 and the game is unplayble.

My computer:
CPU AMD Phenon II X3 mobile
4GB DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5650
Ubuntu 12.04 (GNOME3 classic)

I have tried to limit the diablo process to one cpu core inserting taskset -cp 0 in the beginning of the shortcut but nothing changed.

Can you suggest some other possibility to solve my problem pleas?
Edited by Epos#2249 on 6/8/2012 6:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi.
I installed diablo3 using POL and after few tweaks i can log in the game. Problem is that fps bounce from 5 to 30 and the game is unplayble.

My computer:
CPU AMD Phenon II X3 mobile
4GB DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5650
Ubuntu 12.04 (GNOME3 classic)

I have tried to limit the diablo process to one cpu core inserting taskset -cp 0 in the beginning of the shortcut but nothing changed.

Can you suggest some other possibility to solve my problem pleas?

Even in windows you wouldnt be having much luck. The 5650m is a piece of junk. You might have better luck running from a windows partition if you have one, but i doubt there will be a significant improvment.
Reply Quote
Hmmm. Might be tiime i fire up a linux partition again! Gotta buy a couple new hard drives first.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Mobile chipsets = :-/ The problem is that the real card requires WAY more power than your average laptop can supply. The 5650 pulls only about 20 watts max, whereas my desktop HD 5670s are each pulling about 60 watts. More power consumption = more circuitry (and more heat loss, granted) = more computing.

I usually tell people if they want to play serious games on high settings to just use a desktop LOL

Of course I am anti-laptop in general so maybe I'm biased...

OH! For the record, anyone using PlayOnLinux for Diablo III you can add the setarch i386 thing into the Diablo III.desktop file that POL creates, in the "EXEC" line and that will greatly increase your performance and prevent the Warden boots. D3 is now performing as I would expect it to on my hardware (dual quad core X5355, GTX 260, 20GB DDR2 quad-channel ECC) in windows!
Reply Quote
I can confirm that setarch i386 -3 did the trick. I haven't been able to play for days and have a gaming party coming up that I was worried I wouldn't be able to take part in. Thanks to everyone who took part in finding a workaround.

Did someone mention that there is a wine patch to resolve this issue or that it forces wine to only utilize 3GB RAM all the time?

Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit
WINE 1.5.5 (from source, patched Acceptx & D3dReset)
dual quad core xeon 2.5GHz
24 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB
Reply Quote
Mobile chipsets = :-/ The problem is that the real card requires WAY more power than your average laptop can supply. The 5650 pulls only about 20 watts max, whereas my desktop HD 5670s are each pulling about 60 watts. More power consumption = more circuitry (and more heat loss, granted) = more computing.

I usually tell people if they want to play serious games on high settings to just use a desktop LOL

I'm running just fine on a laptop with an nVidia Quadro 1000M chip, 1920x1080 with modest "eye candy" settings in Diablo III. So not all mobile chipsets are unplayable.

Obligatory issue: If I start up Diablo III, and at the main menu set up video options to enable "Shadow Quality = High", then start a game, the game crashes with the message "Couldn't initialize graphics even on default settings. Please shut down any other 3D apps and try again." This only happens at the "High" setting, and only in full screen mode - no problems in windowed mode. I also have no problems with any other setting (physics, clutter, anti-aliasing, low fx.)

Is anybody else experiencing this? Or am I just exceeding the capabilities of my video chip?
Reply Quote
So, umm. This just worked for me, and let me login. Vaux nailed it. It does, in fact, appear to be a memory limit issue. This used to be a problem with WoW, as seen here: http://www.limitlessfx.com/wine-world-of-warcraft-crash-4gb.html

setarch i386 -3 -L -B -R wine ~/path/to/Diablo\ III.exe

I don't have my bugzilla credentials ATM - somebody please post this to issue 30849 if they can confirm that this works.

You sir, are a genius. Game was working for a while up to the latest patch, but this fixed it. Thanks! I only used -3 option too.
Reply Quote
make sure that you have your video memory size registry key for wine so that it knows how much video memory it has to use. I have had all kinds of problems with games recognizing my video card as being up to par until i set that key.

i play on a laptop:
i7 quad
8G ram
nvidia quattro 880M 1G
1920x1080 max settings no graphic lag with reg key.
Edited by MrBonez#1211 on 6/8/2012 9:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
make sure that you have your video memory size registry key for wine so that it knows how much video memory it has to use. I have had all kinds of problems with games recognizing my video card as being up to par until i set that key.

i play on a laptop:
i7 quad
8G ram
nvidia quattro 880M 1G
1920x1080 max settings no graphic lag with reg key.

That did it. After setting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D\VideoMemorySize to the string value "2048", I have no longer have any problems with "High" shadow quality at 1920x1080 full screen.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
no problem, took me a while to figure that one out myself a while ago.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
Using setarch -3 -L -B -R resolves this bug for me, using wine 1.5.5 with the AcceptEx patches on Arch Linux 64-bit (4x2.8GHz, 8GB@1333MHz).
Reply Quote
I'm almost sure that ATI HD 5650m is sufficient for diablo 3. Except that it does not matter what graphics setting are set. The fps bounce is always the same = 5 to 30 fps a continuous rapid change even if I'm sitting in town a do nothing.
Reply Quote
Anyone receiving error 316704 after a couple minutes online while using 'setarch i386 -3 -L -B -R' ?
Edited by TityBlaster#1360 on 6/11/2012 7:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
No luck here, unfortunately. Running Kubuntu 12.04 x64 and I can't get past "Authenticating Credentials". It eventually times out and I'm disconnected from the server. I'm using PlayOnLinux and have Wine version 1.5.5-DiabloIII_v3 installed and attached to my Diablo III virtual drive.

Any ideas? I'd love to be able to get my Diablo III fix without having to reboot to Windows.
Reply Quote
No luck here, unfortunately. Running Kubuntu 12.04 x64 and I can't get past "Authenticating Credentials". It eventually times out and I'm disconnected from the server. I'm using PlayOnLinux and have Wine version 1.5.5-DiabloIII_v3 installed and attached to my Diablo III virtual drive.

Any ideas? I'd love to be able to get my Diablo III fix without having to reboot to Windows.

Read the thread for your answer.
Reply Quote
View profile
I read the thread, which is why I'm asking for additional help. setarch doesn't work, and according to the PlayOnLinux site, it's supposedly unnecessary if you have 1.5.5-DiabloIII_v3 installed, yet I'm still having a problem. Just wanted to know if anyone had any additional insight.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]