Diablo® III

many dont like d3.. there is a storm coming!

I've read many posts on people saying why they dont like d3, if you care to read i'll add my 2 cents to the discussion, :

I've been very unappreciative of the games I have played of late. In fact something like a year ago I downloaded a snes emulator and replayed final fantasy 4 and after that i decided to play 3 and 2 as well. great games. anyways...

couple of months ago I was convinced by a friend to give swtor a try even if I had decided to not play mmo's as i had already found out i had extinguished all my desire for that kind of gameplay with wow. It kinda happens when you play a game for more than 3 years. Which makes me realize that the reality is that us "old school gamers" in reality crave the possibility to fixate in an environment for a prolonged period of time. Here amongst us i think we can admit when playing games as immersive as wow there is surely an element of evasion for most players. The fact that the virtual environment is perpetuos, changing and populated makes the evasion/fantasy more alluring to indulge in. what satisfaction can you get on fixating on something that 'lacks content'..

In other words, I presume, that like me you have surpassed your 20's, I'm sorry to tell you but you will never enjoy d3 like u did d2 (or d1) cos you've already been there and know the drill. Just as making love to your wife after 20 years of being together will never be like when you made love to her the first time. forgive the comparison but it gets the message through.

As a gamer, I can only advise you to either play something more 'adult' and i mean EVE, or either trying to give less relevance to games. Fact is, videogames are mostly for a younger audience, this is true now and was true then, however, you are the one who is no longer very young and sorry to tell you, but you probably are not the videogames market, ideal target audience.

In the end, I see I care more for the gaming community than for the games themselves, yet it seems to me that few other markets have to "put up with this kinda crap" from customers.

If you have read more than one offical forum of any videogame in the last years, particularly threads that regard and participate in 'patch decision making' (yeah i just made that up) you probably noticed videogame customers are much more involved in production and maintenance processes than other industries. For example, i doubt IKEA has forums where customers provide detailed descriptions of how they should modify their products. give it a try and let me know. anyways, as much as i see the industry change its seems this is a constant that has always been part of videogame culture. Unfortunately, with the recent number of big title 'flops' by many well known devs, such as swtor, age of conan, warhammer online (etc), its seems unlikely that investors will be willing to provide capital for a market that is so 'picky'. In other words, im just saying we should pick our battles more carefully, and all things considered d3 is quite decent compared to the standard of games nowadays.

there is a storm coming..
Reply Quote
how is it possible that i just posted and its already on page 3...

bump!
Reply Quote
People tend to see the past with rose-colored glasses. People who come to Diablo 3 having never played either of the first two games (and there will be a lot of them) will not have any basis for comparison, and Diablo 3 is a good game as it is. It's competing against a game obscured by the fog of history in the minds of many gamers, and to them it'll never measure up...even though if they were to go back and play Diablo 2 today, they'd find a LOT to like in Diablo 3.

I was there for the release of both the prequels and I remember how long it took for Diablo 2 to become the "legendary Diablo 2" people talk about...and it wasn't three weeks after launch.
Reply Quote
06/08/2012 01:57 PMPosted by Brancaleone
Just as making love to your wife after 20 years of being together will never be like when you made love to her the first time. forgive the comparison but it gets the message through.

But when you trade in your wife of 20 years for a newer younger one, it gets exciting again!

Blizzard promised me a new hot young wife, but instead delivered a creepy Real Doll. A real doll that's missing all the fun lady parts.
Reply Quote
bump = spam, it's in the forum code of conduct.

i am (slowly) working on an open letter to blizzard and diablo 3 gamers.

but i seem to be too busy playing.

i really like this game, it's one of the best i've ever played, and i love how blizzard is supporting it (i.e., patch 1.03 is a great example).

cheers.
Reply Quote
People tend to see the past with rose-colored glasses. People who come to Diablo 3 having never played either of the first two games (and there will be a lot of them) will not have any basis for comparison, and Diablo 3 is a good game as it is. It's competing against a game obscured by the fog of history in the minds of many gamers, and to them it'll never measure up...even though if they were to go back and play Diablo 2 today, they'd find a LOT to like in Diablo 3.

I was there for the release of both the prequels and I remember how long it took for Diablo 2 to become the "legendary Diablo 2" people talk about...and it wasn't three weeks after launch.

But, you'd think that those lessons learned would have been applied to D3.

And, I disagree with the OP. Many, many games have a very mature vibe, especially in the fantasy genre. That Blizzard has taken a step back with D3, making it less mature, doesn't invalidate IPs like Witcher, Arkham City, and Far Cry that are fairly adult.
Reply Quote
Dont get me wrong i believe there are still devs out there that believe in gaming for adults, and i am galvanized and inspired by how EVE has treated the open sandbox scene, (can't start playing it now though..).

This however, does not exclude that the main target audience of the videogame industry is younger than the diablo 1 and 2 comunity, generally speaking.
Reply Quote
claps at Demonbloods joke
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
06/08/2012 01:57 PMPosted by Brancaleone
Fact is, videogames are mostly for a younger audience, this is true now and was true then
This says more about you than it does about video games, fyi.
Reply Quote
I'm in my early 30's so I think I can relate to a lot of what has been covered in this thread.

This is how I view the complaining. Early 20 somethings who played Diablo 2 when they were 12 and the game hadn't seen a relevant patch in over a year (read: polished). So in there 12 year old PoV it was like the most epic video game experience of their life. Now, they are know it all 20 year olds who are disappointed, very vocally, that Blizzard was unable to duplicate the impossible, allowing someone to relive their childhood.

You just can't trust you're memory of the quality of things from yesteryear. It's like when I sat through the movie "3 ninjas" with my son.

I think Diablo 3 is a fantastic game, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. However, like the OP stated I just don't "need" as much out of a video game as I used to, nor do I expect it.
Reply Quote
@ descretoria:

that is in fact my point..... im not native english but deadmeat and others seems to have understood where i was going, im sure that if you reread it you'll get there too
Reply Quote

Indeed. Diablo 2 was probably my most played game of all time. But I couldn't stand Diablo 2 classic. I thought it was really pretty lame. D2 didnt come into its own until 1.09 at least, and 1.10 breathed a huge amount of new life into the game making many changes for better or worse (mostly worse, but the increased difficulty / challenge was welcome at first).

A lot of people are indeed blinded by nostalgia.
Reply Quote
06/08/2012 02:11 PMPosted by DemonBlood
Just as making love to your wife after 20 years of being together will never be like when you made love to her the first time. forgive the comparison but it gets the message through.

But when you trade in your wife of 20 years for a newer younger one, it gets exciting again!

Blizzard promised me a new hot young wife, but instead delivered a creepy Real Doll. A real doll that's missing all the fun lady parts.
Reply Quote
I'm so tired of everyone complaining...

If you happy with D3 as I am - high five to ya...

We (well at least I) understand that the game needs some tweaking - and I would much rather see constructive, useful, helpful posts to Blizzard how to fix what is broken.

If you're filling the forums full of your tears(you know who you are) becasue you cant kill something or its too hard - dont play. Leave - and never come back - QQ somewhere else.
Reply Quote
Here's a link to a thread talking about D2 a month after release.

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65309

It's not very in depth, but it's a microcosm of what people are saying about D3 imho.
Reply Quote
@ deleterious

dude seriously you need to read threads before you post on them ><
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]