Diablo® III

Thanks blizzard

Community Manager
Account compromises are extremely unfortunate and it's perfectly understandable that tensions will rise while the topic is discussed on the forums. That said, I'm going to put my trust in the idea that we're all capable of having a conversation without throwing attacks back and forth.

Less yelling. More listening. On all sides.

Here's an example of an exchange of words that doesn't have to be so caustic.

Well, sorry to say, it IS your fault. You either got keylogged, phished, were on shady sites you thought were trust worthy or countless other methods. Having a new computer and a anti-virus program means nothing when your activities are causing it.

I constantly see links posted, to videos, guides, items, selling sites, etc. You got yourself hacked, not Blizz.

Lrn2protect your own computer tard.

What advice would you give to those of us who are not, as you seem to assume, completely new to using a computer? I have never clicked any links from this forum or any other forum regarding Diablo 3 that weren't from a reliable source or a google search for "act 1 farming spot" or something. If everyone who did exactly what I did got hacked, we'd be seeing probably hundreds of thousands more complaints. Besides, even if they did get a keylogger on my computer without me knowing, why would they give a !@#$ about Diablo 3? Why not just go straight to my bank account?

The argument "you got yourself hacked" doesn't really make sense when I haven't done anything that would get me hacked. And yes, I have already added an authenticator, changed password and contacted Blizzard.

Those are excellent first steps. I still strongly recommend reviewing the additional steps listed in this blog post: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6020037/Battlenet_and_Diablo_III_Account_Security-5_25_2012
05/30/2012 06:38 PMPosted by Secoya

The keyfob authenticator is actually only $6.50, which covers the exact cost of the hardware that the vendor (not Blizzard) charges to make them. There are also free version for phones available, as mentioned.

You have an odd concept of free.

If it were realy ''free'' it wouldnt be on phone but on computer it would be the first link and would not require a ''phone'' everything that an additional requirement then the machine to run the game cannot be considered free as it require additional material not needed to simply run the game and protect it on same machine.

I could hug you.
You didn't lose much.
90 Draenei Shaman
05/30/2012 06:38 PMPosted by Secoya

The keyfob authenticator is actually only $6.50, which covers the exact cost of the hardware that the vendor (not Blizzard) charges to make them. There are also free version for phones available, as mentioned.

You have an odd concept of free.

If it were realy ''free'' it wouldnt be on phone but on computer it would be the first link and would not require a ''phone'' everything that an additional requirement then the machine to run the game cannot be considered free as it require additional material not needed to simply run the game and protect it on same machine.

But your phone isn't generally going to have keyloggers on it. Having that extra layer on the computer itself would be a bit silly, since it could just get infected somehow as well.
05/30/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Dewan
Personally I think it is rather sad we are pretty much forced to buy "Their" 15 dollar authenticator or however much it costs just to keep our accounts safe =\

Well, first off, they give it to you for free; you pay shipping and handling costs. Secondly, you can get this on your smartphone for free.

Thirdly, plenty of people who do NOT have authenticators have not been hacked. On the other hand, if you care to safeguard what is possibly the HIGHEST targeted "hacking" sector of the digital world (Battle.net accounts), what's even six bucks to add another level of security?

Is it worth the hassle of losing all your crap because you got unlucky? Best six dollars I ever spent, personally. I've been able to look at these threads and snort derisively ever since hackings started amping up.

05/30/2012 06:41 PMPosted by D2therJ
IT'S ALREADY PROVEN FACT THAT BLIZZARD'S LAUNCH WAS PLAGUED WITH SESSION ID HOTSWAPPING.

Untrue. Not a single case of these hackings have had authenticators attached to their accounts.
Edited by Bip#1388 on 5/30/2012 6:43 PM PDT
85 Tauren Paladin
05/30/2012 06:34 PMPosted by Daltin
If Blizzard offered a 66 dollar version of Diablo 3 with the authenticator packaged in

I am of the firm belief that Blizzard should go ahead and make every game they make like this, easier to have 3 versions of an authenticator for each flavour of their games then none at all and since they sell them at cost it would just be easier for everyone concerned for them to put one in each box that gets sent out to retailers and add the $6.50 to the final product.
05/30/2012 06:27 PMPosted by Tears
Same thing happened to me. My information is never handed out. I did not sign up for a BETA or get a fake BETA key or anything. I do not open emails from people I do not know. I run https at all times online. I have a top of the line antivirus. Only "precaution" I have not taken is getting an authenticator. Pretty sure a lot of these problems are not on our end.

No your telling us lies. That is what 90% of this forum thinks when you say that anyhow the rest will just scream in your face about how you need the authenticator neither of which is solving the issue at all right now.
IT'S ALREADY PROVEN FACT THAT BLIZZARD'S LAUNCH WAS PLAGUED WITH SESSION ID HOTSWAPPING.

Please cite your reputable source. Take your time, I'll be here.

Wonderful. Now we're getting somewhere. Where's the proof so it can be countered.

05/30/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Dewan
Personally I think it is rather sad we are pretty much forced to buy "Their" 15 dollar authenticator or however much it costs just to keep our accounts safe =\

It's quite sad. If people wouldn't buy gold from account thieves we wouldn't have these problems.
Edited by Zymurgeist#1185 on 5/30/2012 6:46 PM PDT
90 Orc Shaman
hasn't the game only been out for 2 weeks?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]