Diablo® III

Thanks blizzard

90 Draenei Shaman
05/30/2012 06:46 PMPosted by matt69
theres sevrers r crap they just dont to admit it shouldent have to buy anything from them for security there servers should have that there just junk like this game u call diablo 3 its a joke atm.......

You don't /have/ to buy anything from them. It's entirely your choice. If you want to blame someone for the inconvenience, blame the so-called hackers.
05/30/2012 06:16 PMPosted by Zarhym
You shouldn't thank us for such a terrible thing. You should be reviewing the information [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6020037/Battlenet_and_Diablo_III_Account_Security-5_25_2012"]here[/url]. I hope that provides some insight into the steps you can take to secure your computer and your Battle.net account.

I was not thanking you. I was being sarcastic to the ones that were not giving any help above.

As for the account security. I have not given away any information to anyone. I have been playing on battle.net in private games (since launch). I rarely use the email attached to my account. It is my official one but I don't read email to much unless work related so I only use it when I really need to (in these cases).

Phishing scams. Again with the Email (I rarely ever use it) and I would never reveal any sensitive information through Email. Your guys have all that information and can verfiy who I am from security questions,etc.

I have grabbed an Authenticator like Crazyhorse suggested/asked if I had one. His was the only real useful post here so far..

Thanks for your help I guess..
100 Night Elf Hunter
05/30/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Dewan
Personally I think it is rather sad we are pretty much forced to buy "Their" 15 dollar authenticator or however much it costs just to keep our accounts safe =\

Blame those who have no scruples as to where they buy their gold from.

And it's $6.50 for the keyfob; the mobile phone app is free.
05/30/2012 06:39 PMPosted by Zarhym
I still strongly recommend reviewing the additional steps listed in this blog post

Why dont you guys put something about using authenticators in the breaking news area? I am sure only a fraction of the people who play this game are aware it even exists, those being the people who have played WoW, or are on this forum/website.
Edited by kweagle#1932 on 5/30/2012 6:49 PM PDT
there was a WoW starter edition added to my account, pretty sure this was how they hacked me. Since i never touched that trash game >.>
05/30/2012 06:42 PMPosted by b3w4r3
Don't let the trolls saying it's your fault you suck at computer security bother you. Chances are their information is in the hackers hands also, only difference is they have the authenticator to protect them. Them lashing out like they are shows their immaturity and anger.

Doesn't this prove the point of having an authenticator in the first place?

I agree that people simply lashing out blindly at whoever got hacked are displaying immaturity, but at the same time, there is also a large amount of immaturity from those who think they are invulnerable because they have some sort of expertise behind their belt. Even doctors can make mistakes. Everyone has a blind spot. No one is 100% secure. The best anyone can do is be more vigilant about the care they take, regardless of game account security or anything else.

Obligatory trolling here: http://imgur.com/CrTdn
05/30/2012 06:16 PMPosted by Zarhym
You shouldn't thank us for such a terrible thing. You should be reviewing the information [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6020037/Battlenet_and_Diablo_III_Account_Security-5_25_2012"]here[/url]. I hope that provides some insight into the steps you can take to secure your computer and your Battle.net account.

Bashiok and Zarhym, keep at the awesomeness. No sarcasm here. You two are excellent CMs. Not to say the other CMs aren't, but despite rampant trolls on the forums your sense of humor does not falter and for that I thank you.
05/30/2012 06:49 PMPosted by Hamchuck
I agree that people simply lashing out blindly at whoever got hacked are displaying immaturity, but at the same time, there is also a large amount of immaturity from those who think they are invulnerable because they have some sort of expertise behind their belt. Even doctors can make mistakes. Everyone has a blind spot. No one is 100% secure. The best anyone can do is be more vigilant about the care they take, regardless of game account security or anything else.

Quoted for emphasis.
100 Undead Mage
How come everyone that says they have items stolen (or for whatever reason dislikes the game) are usually making their only post to the website, or several posts on the same subject.

I smell conspiracy.
100 Blood Elf Mage
Just curious but are your username and password for battle.net used exclusively here? It's possible that the "hack" wasn't done here at all. Often times that information is saved up from other sites and then used by hackers on many other popular sites (such as battle.net) just to see where it works.

Anyway, good luck in getting everything back. Hope you have a great time playing again soon. ^.^
My brother's account was compromised somehow. Only conclusion I can reach is that he had a worm on his computer for a while or someone had his account info from a while ago, since he didn't even use his computer for a couple days and his stuff was gone the next time he logged in. Not blaming blizzard since I know their servers are secure, just saying situations like these suck. Getting angrier isn't going to help resolve things any faster.
Well, sorry to say, it IS your fault. You either got keylogged, phished, were on shady sites you thought were trust worthy or countless other methods. Having a new computer and a anti-virus program means nothing when your activities are causing it.

I constantly see links posted, to videos, guides, items, selling sites, etc. You got yourself hacked, not Blizz.

Lrn2protect your own computer tard.

What advice would you give to those of us who are not, as you seem to assume, completely new to using a computer? I have never clicked any links from this forum or any other forum regarding Diablo 3 that weren't from a reliable source or a google search for "act 1 farming spot" or something. If everyone who did exactly what I did got hacked, we'd be seeing probably hundreds of thousands more complaints. Besides, even if they did get a keylogger on my computer without me knowing, why would they give a !@#$ about Diablo 3? Why not just go straight to my bank account?

The argument "you got yourself hacked" doesn't really make sense when I haven't done anything that would get me hacked. And yes, I have already added an authenticator, changed password and contacted Blizzard.

Bank account is a felony - digital item theft in almost every jurisdiction is not even a misdemeanor. (although I did see some articles last year about some legislations considering upping the charges for such - but right now, even if you could ID the thief in most cases, they're up for compromising your account only - a teensy misdemeanor - and it's not easy to identify them)

And there's numerous ways to get hacked some of which are hard to clear off once they've happened - personally, I when I first put this machine together rather than calling MS to move my old Win7 license to my new machine downloaded a crack for Windows 7 so I could unlock my DVD installed copy without having to go through a 30 min phone call.

Ends up being that put a trojan on my machine - one that was so well on there that no virus scanner I ever ran caught it (although it would catch other things it tossed on my machine on occasion - but never the root) - even hijack this delving over my entire registry by hand I couldn't find anything.

That stupid trojan cost me my WoW account.

Now with my D3 account I took every precaution I could, and from what their email support has told me I've had no attempts at a login from an IP that doesn't match my home to date - but even then, I'm far more comfortable with my account security with the $6.50 autheticator sitting on my keychain. Even if some weird IP does eventually get my login because of another error I make, I know I'm covered regardless.

And of course the wife uses one too - but hers is free, since we've got one Android phone. (waiting on the contract renewal to get the second cheap before I join the smartphone world)
90 Human Rogue

I was not thanking you. I was being sarcastic to the ones that were not giving any help above.

As for the account security. I have not given away any information to anyone. I have been playing on battle.net in private games (since launch). I rarely use the email attached to my account. It is my official one but I don't read email to much unless work related so I only use it when I really need to (in these cases).

Phishing scams. Again with the Email (I rarely ever use it) and I would never reveal any sensitive information through Email. Your guys have all that information and can verfiy who I am from security questions,etc.

I have grabbed an Authenticator like Crazyhorse suggested/asked if I had one. His was the only real useful post here so far..

Thanks for your help I guess..

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic right back. What you dont understand is that people have gotten trojans and loggers through things like an out of date Adobe Flash player before. This isn't Blizzard's fault, they cant secure your PC for you. They have provided something that is virtually unhackable, and you can use it if you like.
Edited by Vodkaphile#1670 on 5/30/2012 6:52 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]