Diablo® III

Thanks blizzard

Hello friend, I'm sure you cried yourself to sleep that night didn't you? it's ok everyone else in this thread did as well when it happened to them, start a club or something.
90 Undead Death Knight
05/30/2012 06:33 PMPosted by zenyte
What advice would you give to those of us who are not, as you seem to assume, completely new to using a computer? I have never clicked any links from this forum or any other forum regarding Diablo 3 that weren't from a reliable source or a google search for "act 1 farming spot" or something. If everyone who did exactly what I did got hacked, we'd be seeing probably hundreds of thousands more complaints. Besides, even if they did get a keylogger on my computer without me knowing, why would they give a !@#$ about Diablo 3? Why not just go straight to my bank account?

There are still ways it could happen.

First off, on your end... If you re-use passwords over time, they can eventually find it somewhere. For example if the 'hackers' find a free email account or gain access to a forum id/password anywhere they will try it here. Blizzard slows down logins so a pure brute force method won't work, but if the 'hackers' have a list of possible combinations, their is nothing to my knowledge to stop them from trying each one.

Second, others... Their have been several known security holes with common things (such as flash) that could be used to compromise your account. I'm not talking about backwater fan sites... Reputable sites (many of which have nothing to do with gaming) have fallen to this type of stuff.

Bank stuff... Some hackers might try to sell your bank info, those are the dumb ones. The problem with that is that it gets the authorities involved. Diablo gold sells for real money, but has less risk. You don't hear about the FBI breaking some hacker ring that stole a bunch of virtual gold.

Blizzard's fault... Not really. Its our responsibility to protcet our computers. That said I personaly feel that Blizzard hasn't done enough (from the beggining) to curb the hacker/gold-seller effort. IMO they could be much more draconian in their punishments, and more vigilant in rooting out those who are buying stuff with real money in their other games (WoW). I feel that by not doing so they indirectly foster an enviroment that promotes that sort of thing. It does not change the fact that its our responsibility to keep our info secure, just that we will have a harder time doing so playing a Blizzard game.

Session ID... I've seen this type of thing in other games, not here. While I'm not going to say its impossible, they have said they looked and can't find any evidence of it. I am certain they want this "hacking epidemic" over with as much as anyone. If they found it, it would be fixed and over with already. Even if you believe they would have covered it up, they still would have fixed it - yet people are still being 'hacked'.

Look, this is always a touchy subject. Being hacked means you are or were exposed. Vulnerable. It makes you feel weak. You want to blame someone else. I had my WoW account hacked a long time ago, wasn't even playing then and I didn't think I would ever go back - but it still upset me. Never did find out exactly how they got mine, but the point is you have to do your best to cover your rear and fix what might have happened. And not blame someone who most likely isn't even at fault.
People keep assuming I am a 10 year old kid who see's a website or link that says "Click here and get free gold or items for diablo 3 FREE" and I will click on it.

I know all these things. I have a new computer with daily updates for protecting my computer. The only websites I visit are work related and maybe youtube for music while I work. A few other Blizzard games such as Warcraft III and Starcraft II.

My free time on this computer is spent experimental programming with different IDE's or playing a couple games such as the above listed.

I just logged in today to find this happened after a week or so break (spending time programming/gf and having stress from work). I don't believe this information is sensitive or will get my account hacked.

If Blizzard can show me the error on my end I will apologize but until I get that I will not apologize.

I wouldn't have started this thread if I believed I have been phished or shared my account info ( why on earth would I do this? You tell me ).
90 Human Rogue
People keep assuming I am a 10 year old kid who see's a website or link that says "Click here and get free gold or items for diablo 3 FREE" and I will click on it.

I know all these things. I have a new computer with daily updates for protecting my computer. The only websites I visit are work related and maybe youtube for music while I work. A few other Blizzard games such as Warcraft III and Starcraft II.

My free time on this computer is spent experimental programming with different IDE's or playing a couple games such as the above listed.

I just logged in today to find this happened after a week or so break (spending time programming/gf and having stress from work). I don't believe this information is sensitive or will get my account hacked.

If Blizzard can show me the error on my end I will apologize but until I get that I will not apologize.

I wouldn't have started this thread if I believed I have been phished or shared my account info ( why on earth would I do this? You tell me ).

None of this matters. There is only one way for an account to get compromised, that is to say they must LOG IN to your account. Everything else has been thoroughly debunked by people 100 times smarter at this stuff than you and I. If you dont have an authenticator, you can be compromised by anything from an Adobe Flash leak to a Java leak. You dont have to download anything or fall for a Phish.
Edited by Vodkaphile#1670 on 5/30/2012 7:19 PM PDT
Got hacked today, still waiting on support ticket. Attempting to call only gets me an automated message telling me to send a support ticket.

I hope more stories like these get published so blizzard starts doing more:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/05/my-brief-life-as-a-diablo-iii-hacking-victim/

Also, this guy apparently only waited 40 min for help. While I've been hearing stories of people waiting nearly a week for a response, only to be denied help.
Edited by Ookami#1708 on 5/30/2012 7:18 PM PDT
90 Human Rogue

Try reading the whole post next time princess.

I'm not "princess" dude, and you don't know me. Keep it civil or keep it to yourself.

If you tell me to keep it civil, I am going to reiterate the fact that you should read before you post. Both reading and posting are equal parts of forums, and taking part in both is essential to having people like me not point that out to you.
05/30/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Impavid
You shouldn't thank us for such a terrible thing. You should be reviewing the information [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6020037/Battlenet_and_Diablo_III_Account_Security-5_25_2012"]here[/url]. I hope that provides some insight into the steps you can take to secure your computer and your Battle.net account.

His computer. Excellent misdirection.

99.9% chance his computer is absolutely fine.

People's accounts are getting brute forced due to Battlenet's coding. Keyloggers... smoke and mirrors, excellent dogma perpetuated by Blizzard.

^This
Whatever happened, happened. It seems to have hit a lot of people hard, and it seems to be enough people, that its just not individuals falling for internet phish and bad computer security.

Crap happens and stuff breaks. That's not the issue, the issue I see is just the lack of customer service. I have paid Blizzard probably thousands over the years, between all the Starcrafts, Warcrafts, WoW, Diablo, books, etc and so forth. That's cool, no worries.

But folks having to wait reportedly days and hours to get roll overs, that's not cool. My ticket is sitting on 9 hours. Yes, this is a video game, and not urgent, but any customer service that makes folks wait that long for any type of response. Meh.
90 Draenei Shaman
It amazes me that people ignore that there are a lot of people who've seen this sort of thing time and time again while playing WoW, and have seen the same user responses, and in the end, also seen said users have to eat crow when it was proven the problem was on their end.

I was one of them.

Conspiracy theories only detract from the real problem -- the actual scammers and phishers. At the very least shore up the walls a bit more on the homefront, folks. I mean, just because you think it can't happen to you doesn't mean it won't, or hasn't. There's no harm in taking steps to ensure that. Right?
05/30/2012 07:20 PMPosted by Encryption

His computer. Excellent misdirection.

99.9% chance his computer is absolutely fine.

People's accounts are getting brute forced due to Battlenet's coding. Keyloggers... smoke and mirrors, excellent dogma perpetuated by Blizzard.

^This

You dropped a QFT for that garbage? What a waste.

And really? If blizzard put a big red sticker on the outside of the box that said "You are responsible for making sure your password is secure" you'd be all fine with getting hacked now because they warned you? I doubt it. Besides the fact that they most certainly did warn you in the ToA (which you probably haven't read) in perhaps slightly less precise terms.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]