Diablo® III

No Signal display loss with GeForce GTX 295

100 Tauren Druid
Clean system install from the restore CD.

Installed latest drivers 301.42 from nvidia.

Installed D3.

Attempted to run D3. Same problem.

I was never having any trouble with this machine before installing and running D3. Now I have had to completely reformat my drive, and it STILL doesn't work. I fear that installing and running D3 actually harmed my video cards. That is not cool. Not cool at all.
Reply Quote
My 295 kept having signal loss problems with D3 as well. I'd have to power the machine down to get it to start up again. I tried the latest drivers, older drivers. SLI enabled, SLI disabled, many in game settings. Tweaking the settings and keeping the maximum framerate lower made the problem infrequent but it still happened.

And no, it was not overheating. I ran a temperature monitor, and also opened the machine up and carefully checked myself. It was running around 40C

Be careful, the last time it had this problem was just that, the last time. My GeForce GTX 295 no longer works. I don't know if its a coincidence that it died when Diablo 3 crashed it, it could be. But I do know D3 crashed it, other games did not, and now its dead.
Edited by AndASM#1144 on 6/11/2012 9:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
What I tried this evening:

Pulled both cards out. Reseated them. Put everything back together. Same problem.

Pulled out the secondary card, ran off just the primary so now no SLI or anything. Same issue.

Pulled out the primary card, put in the secondary. Ran off just the secondary. Same issue.

I have tested both cards independently now and I am getting the SAME issue on a CLEAN system, with NOTHING else installed.

What are the odds that two cards both get fried at the same time? I could understand one failing randomly but two at once?

I am very inclined to believe that D3 has killed both of my cards. I was having zero issues prior to installing and playing D3.

Thank you for all your help Dankorii. I'm going to try to get some ATI cards from another friend of mine who works in IT, but honestly, Blizzard owes me a couple of video cards. =P
Reply Quote
latest update .. checked both my power supply and heat and all is good but

D3 still crashes ...

i lowered the fps in game setting to 55 and it worked for a while with out crashing .. then it started crashing again.

lowered it again to 45 > no crashing then it started crashing again

lowered to 40 same thing

lowered to 30 it worked fine for some time and today it started crashing again.

please help.. all my other games works perfect on the highest setting except for D3 which pretty much looks like a 16 bit game on a 30 fps and lowest setting.

I'm open to any suggestion.

PS: as mentioned I have a GTX 295 with latest drivers and went as far as to lower my windows setting too just to lessen the load on the CPU... no luck.
Edited by DoomsDay#2388 on 6/12/2012 6:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Got also a gtx 295 and I have the same problems.

All the people who posted in here plz request as sticky plz.

I guess we all need to buy a new card, this aint going to solve within 6 months.

Only question I got is: Wich files did you send to Dankorri.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Dont keep rebooting your pc, play another game and come back to d3 after a few months and look for a fix. They are still clueless about the problem.
Reply Quote
Got also a gtx 295 and I have the same problems.

All the people who posted in here plz request as sticky plz.

I guess we all need to buy a new card, this aint going to solve within 6 months.

Only question I got is: Wich files did you send to Dankorri.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Dont keep rebooting your pc, play another game and come back to d3 after a few months and look for a fix. They are still clueless about the problem.

The card isn't dead. My friend with the exact same card, (He actually got 3 of them, and all got the same problem).

A reboot and cleared CMOS fixed the problem.
Reply Quote
Explain this computer newb what a CMOS is please =_= ?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
CMOS is the thing that stores the information for your BIOS settings, ie the configuration memory of your motherboard. This is one thing I have not done yet, although I did update the chipset.

It still doesn't explain why the problem ONLY started happening with D3 and I have had no problems prior to this. I should not have to lobotomize my motherboard to run a game. =P
Reply Quote
Cleared CMOS dd not work for me =(
Reply Quote
It's probably worth noting that I had the exact same problem as the OP with a GTX 295.

The problem has absolutely *nothing* to do with the CPU, RAM, OS or whatever.

Proof? I replaced the video card with an ATI and now Diablo runs flawless.

It's also probably worth noting that I *had* to buy this video card in order to play DIablo and that I never had such issues with any other video games using my previous GTX 295.

It's a shame, there has been *SEVERAL* other threads talking about this GTX 295 issue in these very forums and somehow Blizzard is still obsessed at making sure your sound drivers and network drivers are up to date.
Reply Quote
List of tweaks that help for GTX295 users (be warned, mine died permanently, this is probably a coincidence but at your own risk)

1. Go to your My Documents folder
  • Inside there should be a Diablo III folder containing a D3Prefs.txt file
  • Find a line like HardwareClass "5" in D3Prefs.txt
  • Change it to HardwareClass "4" and save

2. Open the Nvidia Control Panel
  • On windows 7 you can just type Nvidia Control Planel into the start menu search box
  • On earlier versions of windows it should be in the Control Panel
  • Disable multiple GPU mode, set it to use a single GPU (I'd be more detailed but my computer died so I can't look at the configuration dialog)

3. In Diablo III turn the Maximum Framerate down to 70 or 60.

The crash should become less common, but it will still happen. Hope this helps someone.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
if it is a bios setting causing this problem, my question would be is this a new card to your system?

different video cards work better with different settings. some cards do not work with pallete setting, some work better with it.

clearing cmos would set all the bios options to their defaults, which means its not a blizzard issue. its a user issue.

and another thing.

your PSU puts out 25A on 1 rail and 20A on 2nd rail. that card requires 24A rails. if you are running SLI that means that the 2nd card cannot achieve "full draw" and can cause serious issues when running in SLI.

when GPUs do not get all the "power" they are requesting, they shut off portions of themselves as they physically do not have the power.

what would happen is you would have each card performing differently because you bought a cheap power supply.

yes, if you have under 35 amps on your 12v rails, that is a cheap PSU. or a poor quality one. that should be a priority for you to upgrade to something of higher quality.

at minimum you are under-powering your 2nd video cards potential in regards to the first.

it would be comprable to trying to have 2 corvettes race, but one is a 3L engine and the 2nd is a 2.5L and comparing when they dont perform the same.

the biggest thing you look at for a PSU is not the total wattage, that is largely irrelevant. what you need to look at is the 12v rails.

and then know that the 12v rail is what is going to be your primary limiter for what GPU you are going to get.

clearing CMOS may fix your issue.

replacing your video cards with a different one may work better.

i reccomend sticking to each vendors "core line" of cards.

nvidia their core lines are the x60 and x80 lines, and reduced cards are x20 and x40 lines. the 295 is not a part of the x60 or x80 lines so its not a "core line" card.

plus the fact that your PSU cannot provide full power to both cards tells me you did not fully research your cards when you bought them.

buyer issues.

the requirement for the 295 is listed as 289w. that is stupid as it requires more work for you rather than just listing the A you need.

289 / 12 = 24A

your card is requiring a maximum of 24A on the 12 rails, your PSU you said provides 25, and 20A. that means the first/primary card can do a full draw, but your second card will be short by a few.

1) your PSU cannot drive both your GPUs equally
2) you are using a non-core line GPU
3) these are probably new cards or recent upgrades and you did not make sure your bios settings were compatible

thats 3 things you did wrong.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
These are not new cards or recent upgrades. I did not set up the BIOS myself. I have been running these cards on this PSU and with the same BIOS settings for the last 2+ years without ANY DIFFICULTIES. I have run WoW, SWTOR, Rift, AION, Skyrim, etc with NO ISSUES. The setup was built and tested by DigitalStorm, a company that specializes in gaming rigs. The problem ONLY happened when I installed and ran D3. I did not make any other hardware or software changes.

I don't remember the exact cost of the PSU in question as I purchased the machine at the end of 2009 but from a review of this particular model series of PSUs at xbitlabs: "Chieftec’s Super Series products are top class. They boast high quality of manufacture, excellent electrical parameters, a sufficient selection of cables, and quiet operation even at high loads." (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/chieftec-psu-roundup_13.html) That doesn't sound like a crappy choice to me.

Also if you read my most recent posts, you would know that I have tested this now with only a single card in the primary PCIe slot so there should be no "load imbalance" or whatever you are trying to imply here.

According to this review: (http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-295-review-bfg/5)

GeForce GTX 295

A GeForce GTX 295 requires you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 50 Amps available on the 12 volts rails.

GeForce GTX 295 Quad SLI

A second GeForce GTX 295 requires you to add another 300 Watts. You need a 1000 Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 70 Amps available on the 12 volts rails.

I have a 1200W supply (1200>1000) and two rails with 25A and two rails with 20A. I'm pretty sure that totals to 90A, which should be plenty to run both cards.

Now it is possible that there is something that has decided to fail in the power supply, but I find it hard to believe that coincidence with so many others having the same issue with D3 + GTX 295s. Still, I will see about testing the supply to make sure it hasn't gone on the blink. =P
Edited by Grayclaw#1507 on 6/12/2012 12:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Here is somthings I did to reduce the bug. Not sure if this good or not. This is just so I can play wow again without crashing.

My System is Intel Core i7 950 3.07 GHz with 6 GB of Memory. 64 Bit Windows
I am running 2 GeForce GTX 295 with SLI Enabled. My Powersupply and motherboard are both recently updated and are fine.

I reduced my Background resolution to 1680 x 1050 down from the 2560 x 1440.

I also reset game preferences to default.

In options Adanvced I changed the Graphics API to DirectX9 (to be safe)

I changed the resolution to 1680 x 1050 to match my current background.

One of the things I did was run the Disply mode in Windowed. It seems to run better.

I started out with Graphics set to Fair, but I then set it to Good. I let it run and I have not had it crashed.

When I changed the Display mode from Windowed to Fullscreen, I got the Sleep Mode crash within 30 seconds. So I am leaving it in Windowed mode for now.

With these settings the game has stopped crashing with the Sleep Mode Error.

I will start to increase the Graphics quality to see at what point the crashes repeat. If the quality does not break the game then I will gradually increase the Screen Resolution to see at what point the game crashes.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Grayclaw

I agree with your thought that it's most likely not the CPU causing this, but seeing how we just about tested everything else, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. However, these are all just suggestions, you don't have to try them.

Checking the registry wouldn't hurt either, but if that doesn't help, I would say it's time to start swapping out parts to ensure the issue is not hardware related. If possible, I would try to temporarily borrow a video card from a friend or family member to test on your system.

If the issue still persists with the new card, I'd look at the power supply. You said this mainly happens when there is more going on in the game. This means that as the card is trying to draw more power from the supply, the supply might not be able to handle it, which then leads to the "No signal" issue. This could also explain why the performance worsened with SLI enabled.

If you get the chance, open up the case and let me know your power supply's brand, model number, max watts, and the amps for the +12 volt rail.

You can find all that information on a sticker located on the side of the power supply itself, usually the side facing out. Also, when looking at the rating of the +12 volt rail, see if there are two +12 volt ratings. If there are two, I'll need the rating for both.
If you can't find a solution to your issue, feel free to contact a Support Representative directly for further assistance. Their contact information can be found at the following link: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html

I'm available on the forums Monday through Friday from 11AM to 8PM Pacific Time

The game should run fine based on the information he's provided. Looking into the power supply and borrowing another GFX card is ridiculous... The problem is on Blizzard's end.
Reply Quote
Funny you try to be helpfull as possible. Providing the info about your comp setup/drivers etc and the you get silence treatment. Good job Blizzard
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Here is my solution:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/395/diiinstall.jpg
Edited by Grayclaw#1507 on 6/14/2012 2:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
SjeeD

How is she getting the silent treatment? She has gotten a lot of suggestions. I hate that none of them actually resolved the issue, but at least it looks like the issue is narrowed down to either the PSU or the GPU.

You got any suggestions for her? If you don't, why you are posting in this thread.
If you can't find a solution to your issue, feel free to contact a Support Representative directly for further assistance. Their contact information can be found at the following link: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html

Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Grayclaw

Sorry about the late reply, I've actually been out of the office for a few days.

I appreciate you taking that time to post all of the information that has been requested of you. As far as the power supply goes, it should definitely be enough to run your set up. That's assuming that it's working as intended. If you get the chance, I'd like to see an update as to what happens when you try one of the other cards that you IT buddy is going to provide you with.

Unfortunately, other than testing the PSU or trying another GPU, I can't really think of anything else that we can try out.

I've contacted people in our QA department and they assured me that we have tested the GTX 295 card's compatibility with the game. They too feel that this issue is most likely due to some hardware not working at 100 percent. However, I will touch base with them again to see if they can think of anything else.

Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Grayclaw

Out of curiosity, do you still have your original driver disk for the GTX 295? If you do, try out those drivers. They are going to be really out of date, but its worth a shot. The game will give you a message that the drivers are out of date, but you can bypass them by hitting the ESC key when the message comes up.

Let me know.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]