Diablo® III

Diablo 3 Freezes Computer (Only Recently)

Just throwing this out there, it might be worth considering to get a temperature monitor. I do not mean to be rude, but I do not care how your computer runs. If your system runs game X, Y, and Z at max settings...whatever, do not care. Games X, Y, and Z are NOT Diablo 3!

Look up your card's operating threshold and keep an eye on it. I have an MSI GeForce that can safely operate at ~80C. For some cards, this would trigger the shutdown temp. I can get to ~90C or something insanely high without causing overheat lock/shutdown.

Get temp. monitor, watch temperature, report back. (Speedfan is free and somewhat effective)

-Hate
Reply Quote
I have the same problem. Game will stutter then lock up with solid color on the screen and looping the last sound it made, only way to recover was to shut the computer down.

This started for me when I updated to v1.02 and got worse with v1.02a. But the last the game had an issue both my monitors went black and then my main monitor came back with the game playable but 2nd monitor didnt recover. So I shut down the game and restarted my computer and now I can only get my computer to start up if I boot into safe mode. Don't know if the game killed windows directly or if it was because of the forced shut downs, either way it sucks.

After the game crashed a few times I started watching the video card temperature and never saw it reach 80C.

Im running:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
i7 950
12gb ram
EVGA GTX 465
Reply Quote
The issue started for me about a day after the new patch came out. I am thinking that the issue we are all experiencing is related to something in that patch.
Reply Quote
Same issue. Random freezes with the buzzing sound that forces me to do a hard reboot.

Edit: I'm using the latest AMD drivers 12.4b
Edited by Scryed#1523 on 6/4/2012 5:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have the same problem. Game will stutter then lock up with solid color on the screen and looping the last sound it made, only way to recover was to shut the computer down.

This started for me when I updated to v1.02 and got worse with v1.02a. But the last the game had an issue both my monitors went black and then my main monitor came back with the game playable but 2nd monitor didnt recover. So I shut down the game and restarted my computer and now I can only get my computer to start up if I boot into safe mode. Don't know if the game killed windows directly or if it was because of the forced shut downs, either way it sucks.

After the game crashed a few times I started watching the video card temperature and never saw it reach 80C.

Im running:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
i7 950
12gb ram
EVGA GTX 465

80C is what my card could safely handle. Your card may be 50C or 60C. There is no magic "Crap fails here" number.

The black screen you are seeing if your video driver crashing and Windows recovering. Go to the Start Menu, type in "Event Viewer" and check for Critical or Error.

-Hate
Reply Quote

Im running:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
i7 950
12gb ram
EVGA GTX 465

80C is what my card could safely handle. Your card may be 50C or 60C. There is no magic "Crap fails here" number.

The black screen you are seeing if your video driver crashing and Windows recovering. Go to the Start Menu, type in "Event Viewer" and check for Critical or Error.

-Hate

I wasnt implying there was a magic number that causes stuff not to work it was a reference for anyone wondering if it is an over heating issue. And NVIDIA lists the max temp of 105C so 25+C below that should be an acceptable operating temperature.

Of course that doesnt mean that it didnt go higher then what I saw.

I put in an old 7800GT and now I dont have to run in safe mode anymore which is nice. Now I just get to figure out why my video card is no longer working correctly. Maybe Blizzard decided to use code from SC2 to kill video cards again....
Reply Quote
110 Night Elf Druid
Im having the exact same problem. Ive been playing since day one with no issues at all, then suddenly, yesterday, Diablo 3 starts crashing my computer with a blue screen after 2-5 minutes. I havent changed anything whatsoever, ive tried everything that blizz suggests in their support forums, i un/re-installed, i even spent an hour on hold waiting to talk to a rep, all with nothing to show for it. I still get the same error everytime. All starting yesterday for no apparent reason after 2+ weeks of error free play. A reply from blizz on this would really be appreciated.
Reply Quote
The same exact thing happens to me.. it s been the 3rd time already in a day. After about 1 minute into the game, it just freezes up, and i cant do anything about it, only on/off button to the pc.
Reply Quote
same thing here.

i found this problem about 7 hours ago right after woke up. (this seem happened when im sleeping)

game usually freeze after im logon to the game. else it will freeze if i use warp/change scence.

now it worse, freeze at the luncher.

buzzing/repeating sound remind me of hdd problem but if this occur to many people it shouldnt be hdd problem for sure.

this seem to be serious error.

this is the first time ctrl+alt+delete not working at all for me.(win7) have to hard rest.

which server u play? im on asia server.

update : if i wait about 3-5 mins it will unfreeze and disconnected
Edited by Mozzarella#6971 on 6/5/2012 12:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just throwing this out there, it might be worth considering to get a temperature monitor. I do not mean to be rude, but I do not care how your computer runs. If your system runs game X, Y, and Z at max settings...whatever, do not care. Games X, Y, and Z are NOT Diablo 3!

Look up your card's operating threshold and keep an eye on it. I have an MSI GeForce that can safely operate at ~80C. For some cards, this would trigger the shutdown temp. I can get to ~90C or something insanely high without causing overheat lock/shutdown.

Get temp. monitor, watch temperature, report back. (Speedfan is free and somewhat effective)

-Hate

So I'm not trying for animosity here, but like the other guys have been saying, the GPU temps aren't going "high" and definately not higher than before this patch. Even if in this issue if these specific cards couldn't handle that temperature, why now? I have played this game for probably around 12 hours a day some days, straight, with no issues. Then the next day (and, I can't stress this enough, NOTHING HAS CHANGED) I can no longer play for 5 minutes? Given the consistent symptoms and track records people are reporting I am very inclined to believe it is an issue on blizzard's end. Not to mention we don't even know what they are changing in the hotfixes.
Reply Quote
Same, it's 100% of the time too so the game can't be played again!

I have spent more time waiting and being unable to play this game then I have playing it. It's an absolute joke and Blizzard are showing no support to customers.

Last Blizzard product I'll buy.
Reply Quote
Have the same problem as well.

One thing in common appears to be that it all started just last Sunday after each one of us has been playing the game for several hours (more than 100 hours for me) without a problem. I think that says a lot.

I have Windows 7 32 bit though but all the symptoms you guys have mentioned are same as mine. Never had a problem like this before too. Diagnostics all ok.
Reply Quote
I was having this exact same problem......stuttering then hard freeze and sound looping.

And then I fixed it.....

I deleted my cache folder in the diablo 3 directory on my hard drive.

I haven't had that problem since after I restarted my game and computer afterwards.
Reply Quote
110 Night Elf Druid
Just tried that. Didn't work. Still crashing my computer.
Reply Quote
Try lowering the number of sound channels in the sound options perhaps, or update your sound card drivers.
(it seems like a driver issue, so it could really be any component. I'm just going with sound since it doesn't seem to be video card drivers and it's happening at random.)
Edited by Omnistache#1814 on 6/5/2012 6:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i solved this by reinstall my windows but i dont suggest this method.

my symtom is like everyone here. but it getting worse.

my computer freeze up even i didnt touch the game.

ESPECIALLY when im do something with WINDOW SERVICE
Edited by Mozzarella#6971 on 6/5/2012 6:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
same here i did reformat my pc the the problem stil persist, never had any problem before juz recently..
Reply Quote
I suggest not alt tabbing ever
Reply Quote
Ok, first: Can anyone quote any recent changes to the game that are NOT tooltip/ability based? Ability changes take place on backend/servers first (guessing database(s)), then tooltip patch ~2 weeks later.

Second: Even if Blizzard intentionally ninja-changed something (or simply adjusted and forgot to make a notation), doesn't it seem weird that your game would go to totally unplayable from such a tiny patch?

-Hate
Reply Quote
Having the same problem:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5575473243?page=1#2
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]