Diablo® III

Diablo 3 Freezes Computer (Only Recently)

I have similar issue here.

Game has never crashed in the past month with the same setting, however, it happened at this morning. The game just freeze unpredictably, and there's nothing I can do. I'm playing in full window mode, so I can still alt-tab back to my desktop and kill the process with task manager.

Here's a brief list of my hardware (I can add more if necessary):

CPU : i5-3450
VGA : Radeon HD7700
RAM : 8GB

This crash also took my Lv58 hardcore character away. I hope Blizzard can find out the problem soon.
Reply Quote
Formatted everything, just Antivirus and Diablo installed... still crashing...
Reply Quote
Bump again. Posted on Page 7 and still no response from Blue? A little consideration at least "we're working on it" =\
Reply Quote
I get the same crash but it always seems to be when an elite pack with molten buff
Reply Quote
When underclocking a video card, how much would you need to lower it in order to see improved results? I was actually watching a video and it did the same BSOD that had been happening while playing D3. I'm assuming it's just because my GPU is still hot from playing.
Reply Quote
Just started having this issue today. Computer just locks up. Forcing me to reboot. I can ctrl alt del, but my PC still freezes. I wont be playing again until the next patch. This is kind of nonsense.

specs

I5 2500k
8gbs ram
Asus GTX 560 DCUII Ti. Anyone think it has something to do with asset loading? I thought my hard drive was dying at first.
Edited by ILLMINDedOn3#1662 on 7/3/2012 9:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well it worked for a couple runs yesterday. However today it won't work for more than 5 seconds after spawning in the town. The good news is that it doesn't completely lock up my computer anymore.
Reply Quote
Do not put everything in the same thread, the causes are multifactorial although the effect is the same. It does not help at all that you get help.

Welcome! Please Read Before Posting
Please make new posts for your own issue, except where a solution has already been posted.

us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4887789557

And giving more information on your system maybe can help...

Can you post some information about your computer? You can find this information in the Direct X Diagnostic Tool:

Click on Start
Click on Run
Type in: dxdiag (In Vista, type dxdiag in the search field)
Hit Enter or OK

Click on the Save All Information button at the bottom, and create a dxdiag text file, and copy and paste it ALL here.

Could you also post your D3Prefs.txt file? It's located in the My Documents\Diablo III folder.

And Submit a Ticket: https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/submit

Blizzard's Technical Support team provides a Web Form for you to fill out which collects most of the information necessary to quickly and efficiently provide you with a solution.
Edited by Constasio#1308 on 7/6/2012 5:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't think it is any of our computers, drivers or whatever they want to say is causing this problem. After reading many threads on this matter, there is no way all of us have the same problem with our computers. So posting your Direct X Diagnostic, isn't going to help at all. I had no issues playing the game until after the last patch, and not so much the patch to the game, but after they did server maintenance. About a week or so ago I went to log in to play and couldn't due to servers being down for maintenance. After they were back up and running is when the game started locking up my computer and all I could do was reset my computer. With that said, I seriously doubt it is our computers that is causing this problem.

What I don't like is how they know this is going on, with all the threads on here, how could they not. Yet nothing posted by support about a fix anytime soon.
Reply Quote
Same problem began for me last night...been continuing all day.
Just built my system less than a month ago, just for this game.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
intel i7 3820 3.6GHz
16 GB Ram
Diablo installed on my SSD drive with OS and almost nothing else
EVGA GeForce GTX570HD using HDMI out
My oversized case has 5 fans and a water-cooled system, and in an open area...certainly NOT overheating
Reply Quote
I set it to run as admin, and it hasn't happened since. I'm not even sure what that would mean, but it has seemed to work.
Reply Quote
ok, so apparently underclocking your video card does seem to work. I have had the same issue as most of you since release and no longer.

I have a Radeon HD5870.

Default GPU clock setting 850mhz
Default memory clock setting 1200mhz

NEW AND D3 STABLE settings
GPU 700mhz
Memory 1000mhz

Zero crashes since and I had a LOT before making these changes. I don't know why this works or why the faster default settings don't but everything is fine now.

I can still run the game at 1080p at 120FPS with no stuttering with a lot of units on screen. However I disabled anti-aliasing. You don't notice much of a quality difference after a while, so it looks fine.
Edited by SneakyDude#1996 on 7/8/2012 8:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
400+ hours played and only recently has my game ever frozen. Now it's frozen twice in the last three days, both times while I had a 5 stack and fighting elites. Completely uncalled for.
Reply Quote
!@#$ this %^-*~ Refund my money i was keep freeze at log in screen, less then 5 sec then completely freeze need to hard reset~ damn you blizzard~
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I started to recently be having the same problems with both WoW and Diablo 3 in the past week or so. It just randomly freezes, forcing me to do a hard reboot every single time. I have logged many hours in both WoW and D3, NEVER having this problem before up until recently. I've tried just about everything and still nothing seems to work.

I plan on trying to play some other games (non-Blizzard) and see what happens. So far I've played CS, which granted isn't taxing on a computer at all but I have had zero problems with it as far as it freezing/crashing on me. I just hope this is something on their end, which seems like it is because it's way too big of a coincidence for all of us to be having the same problem at about the same time. I wouldn't be as upset if I didn't have to pay monthly for WoW and everything, so hopefully something along the lines of a fix or solution will be happening sooner rather than later.. one can hope, anyways. :/
Edited by atom#1601 on 7/28/2012 12:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Same problem

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme 3.2ghz [50C load]
GPU: HD 7870 ghz edition [47C load]
RAM: 8GB DDR3

All drivers up to date and used driver sweeper

Tried cpu priority/affinity + install on a flash drive + hardwareclass + disable linear filtering + roll back drivers

*Raising my cpu voltages helped a bit (not OCing), but problem still there*

Really sucks when i'm trying to tank as a CM/WW and everyone blames you for not keeping permafrost lol
Reply Quote
I have been having same freezing and crashing problems only recently, never in the past. Very frustrating.
Reply Quote
same case happen after patch update
uninstall, update driver watever bla bla bla still freeze when log in
sometimes freeze when select character or after select
no overheat issues, air cond room + 2 Big side fans 90mm blowing to CPU & GPU
60 FPS no sweat
when freeze sound like DJ jamming keep repeating, keyboard no respone
only can hard reset and been hard reset like 20++ times

no problem on other games
come on blizzard!!!!
Please look into it!
Edited by karlocklou#1806 on 8/9/2012 10:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yup i lost my lvl 60 in hardcore yesterday because of that problem, what a nice way to die not even from a monster! I never had any problem since last patch!!!! WTF
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]