Diablo® III

Best in Slot - Monk

Hey there. I currently have a monk 60 Act 3 Inferno and I was wondering what items or stats per slot people considered best in slot. I'm not looking for people to rant on how this is Diablo and there is no best in slot. Please post what items legendary or stat combination in item slot people consider best. I currently also have a WD 60 Act 3 Inferno who has a infinitely much easier time farming with 51k DPS than my monk but I find the monk infinitely more fun so I plan on farming the gold for the gear for my monk.
For the sake of argument I will be using seize the initiative and one with everyone and for the sake of argument pretend the "extra resist" is poison unless of course you build your best in slot off of a legendary that has a different extra resist. Thanks!
Reply Quote
String of Ears for Belt.

Rest is really debatable depending on what you're going for.
Reply Quote
I disagree with SOE - really, melee damage is not your biggest concern.

As for armor gear: Dex, res all, single res, vit, armor (if boots) movementspeed (if pants, helm or bodyarmor) max sockets, (if helm) %bonus to primary skill.

Weapon: DPS, LOH, attackspeed, dex, vit, life on spirit

Shield: block%, dex, life%, single res, all res.
Reply Quote
String of Ears is debatable, I'd say. This is my belt:

240 Armor
+58 Strength
+149 Dexterity
+66 Intelligence
+47 Arcane Resistance
+67 Resist All
+8% Life

That's 300 Armor, 150 Dex, 120 Resist All (for Arcane Monks), and at least 2000 life (assuming 25k base life) on one piece of gear.

EDIT: Yes I rounded up by like 1 or 2 points in most cases. So sue me.
Edited by AlphaMagnum#1559 on 6/4/2012 7:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote

240 Armor
+58 Strength
+149 Dexterity
+66 Intelligence
+47 Arcane Resistance
+67 Resist All
+8% Life

That's 300 Armor, 150 Dex, 120 Resist All (for Arcane Monks), and at least 2000 life (assuming 25k base life) on one piece of gear.

Great belt, but I'd still take my SOE:

304 Armor
44 Dex
84 Vit
26 Lightning
18 Resist All
72 LOH
18% Damage reduction from melee

The 18% damage reduction is huge. Absolutely and completely huge. How many resists does it take to achieve 18% damage reduction? How much armor?

Cave: I don't know about you but melee was definitely my biggest concern. I loved ranged mobs. They made my job easier because you can avoid their attacks and they typically died faster. They'd also try to run to get range, meaning free damage. But since I always have to be in melee range to fight melee mobs and they wouldn't run, mitigating that was key to getting through inferno.
Reply Quote

240 Armor
+58 Strength
+149 Dexterity
+66 Intelligence
+47 Arcane Resistance
+67 Resist All
+8% Life

Great belt, but I'd still take my SOE:

304 Armor
44 Dex
84 Vit
26 Lightning
18 Resist All
72 LOH
18% Damage reduction from melee

The 18% damage reduction is huge. Absolutely and completely huge. How many resists does it take to achieve 18% damage reduction? How much armor?

Cave: I don't know about you but melee was definitely my biggest concern. I loved ranged mobs. They made my job easier because you can avoid their attacks and they typically died faster. They'd also try to run to get range, meaning free damage. But since I always have to be in melee range to fight melee mobs and they wouldn't run, mitigating that was key to getting through inferno.

Ah, looking at your other thread I see that you use thunderclap. Personally, I rotate between Tsunami and Deadly Reach, and my weapon has cold damage so melee have their move and attackspeed reduced to a crawl, plus the range, so they are a non-issue for me. But I can see it being useful to you..
Edited by Cavemandiary#2580 on 6/4/2012 7:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, I'd basically make the mobs kite me instead of kiting them (by kicking them away with sweeping armada). Then thunderclap to the farthest/safest mob.
Reply Quote
06/04/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Cutwolf

I don't know how much 18% is, but 84 resist is 20%. As far as I know there is no diminishing returns on this, because resists scale linear. Id est, BoE isn't actually better than a really good belt (like AlphaMagnum's belt), it's just a stepping stone to get better gear, as they are (or better 'were', because now everyone knows about them) relatively cheap.
Edited by Veex#2591 on 6/4/2012 7:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There are two ways to interpret 20%:

20% could mean 20% more than what you had before. 60% damage reduction is a 20% increase over a 50% damage reduction.

20% could also mean an additional 20% reduction (on top of you. I interpret the String of Ears this way, in large part because it's a separate category. Reduces melee damage by 20% seems to mean that mobs will do 20% less damage to you on top of your resists, not that you'll gain 20% more reduction.

Or maybe they come out to the same thing? math isn't my strong point.

Edit:

Interpretation 1 (how I see resists): Mob hits for 1k. With 50% damage reduction through resists, it'd hit for 500. With 60% damage reduction (20% increase from 50%), it'd hit you for 400.

Interpretation 2 (how I see string of ears): Mob hits for 1k. You have 50% damage reduction and 20% string of ears, reducing damage from melee mobs by 70%. Mob hits you for 300.

Does anyone know which it actually is? Is it a 20% increase on your current resists, or is it an additional 20% added on to your current resists?
Edited by Cutwolf#1363 on 6/4/2012 8:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
No, it doesn't stack by simply adding it on top of your resists and if it would, you would be immune to damage with a 20% BoE and ~1000 resists. Assuming we have 0% armor reduction, a 18% BoE on top of 50% resists only stacks to 59% less damage against melee and 50% against every other type of damage.

*edit* removed quote
Edited by Veex#2591 on 6/4/2012 8:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
20 Blood Elf Hunter
Resists diminish greatly after 70%; at about 1300 resist all with buffs I have 80% damage reduction
Pretty sure the damage reduction goes like take 1k hit, reduce by 50% for 500, then that 500 is reduced by 20% and so on, not sure though
Reply Quote
List of what to look for on each item. There are some legendaries worth taking a look at but really a rare will indefinitely be better once we get some really perfect ones rolling around. You can dual wield or use a shield, past act 2 dual wielding is likely better due to life on hit being amazing.

Helm:Socket(Always use a life% gem, 15% free health are you kidding me),Resist All,Dex,ResistX,Vit,Str/+Armor/Reduce melee damage%

Shoulder:Resist All, Dex, ResistX,Vit,Str/+Armor/Reduce melee damage%

Chest:Resist All, Dex, ResistX,Vit,Str/+Armor/Reduce melee damage%

Bracers:Resist All, Dex, ResistX,Vit,Str/+Armor/Reduce melee damage%

Pants:Resist All, Dex, ResistX,Vit,Str/+Armor/Reduce melee damage%

Boots:Resist All, Dex, ResistX,Vit,Str/+Armor/Reduce melee damage%/Movespeed can be nice but certainly not more important than these

Belt:Resist All, Dex, ResistX,Vit,Str/+Armor/Reduce melee damage%

Shield(Having a high block chance/amount is priority, whats the point of using a shield if it isn't good at blocking):Resist All, Dex, ResistX,Life%,Vit,Str/+Armor/Reduce melee damage%

Rings:Attackspeed, Life On Hit, Resist All, Dex, ResistX,Vit,Str/+Armor

Amulet:Attackspeed, Life On Hit, Dex, Vit, Resist All, ResistX(the priority swaps here because of the absurdly high stat max on amulets, and resist on ammies is !@#$ing expensive.)

Gloves:Attackspeed, Resist All, Dex, ResistX,Vit,Str/+Armor/Reduce melee damage%/Crit Chance can be nice but not priority

Weapon(As long as the dps isn't extremely low, LoH>Damage. I'm using a 634dps spear in act 3 because it has 650 LoH.):Life On Hit, Attackspeed, Random CC on hit stats like knockback or freeze, even with a 1.6 chance mine procs constantly and is quite helpful, Dex, Vit,

The key thing most people miss is having tons of attackspeed, and at least 300/600/1000/1500 life on hit for each act respectively. It can be done without it, but you will need to stack life per spirit spent instead. You simply must have some form of constant healing unless you want to play run like a !@#$% cooldown monk.

Please note that even though I place vit fourth most of the time in overall priority, you still need around 700 minimum. As in, don't get an entire set of gear that has simply amazing amounts of resist all dex and resist X if you only have 400 vit with it.

Most recommended build - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#abgiXh!ZXU!acaZba with either blinding flash or sweeping wind. This can be used in content you are sufficiently geared for.

This can be used in content you aren't really geared for, and still be able to kill a few champs/elites. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WbgYXh!ZXU!ZZaYca
It kills extremely slow but you practically double your defenses over any other monk build. As well, I seem to have an easier time with the first build past act 2 even if I'm not geared as well, I think its because with teleporting fists you physically dodge a lot of hits.

High armor on most of your pieces is crucial as well, its not mentioned though as its a global thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]