Diablo® III

Atheist flagged as inappropriate.

A friend tried to name his character atheist, which is what he is. The game told him it was against the terms and conditions for naming. Theist is okay though. Can an atheist not battle the forces of hell? Also, if christians can get offended that Atheist is a character name, the same could be said for people who don't believe in a god who cannot name their character what they want. I know this is probably silly/dumb, but blizzard should promote religious/nonreligious equality by allowing the name atheist, or being more strict on what theistic names are allowed.

TL;DR Let us name characters Atheist.
That does seem a bit one sided..... ill bump that
Most likely a troll post, but there is nothing wrong with not wanting religion from the real world to be in a game.
I'm a christian and if I saw your friend's character I'd just shrug and go on playing. So he's an Atheist who named a character Atheist. Big deal.

But yeah, kinda silly for it to be flagged :|
It's flagged for the same reason you can't make a character named Jesus, Christ, God, etc...

Blizzard actively tries to keep Real World Religion out of their games, and if you're going to do it for one side, you must do it for both.
There are several theistic names that are flagged as well.

There is no reason for them to be in game. You ar obviously naming like that to provoke a response from someone.
I don't see why you would name your character in such a way unless you were trying to get a rise out of people.
90 Pandaren Shaman
It's flagged for the same reason you can't make a character named Jesus, Christ, God, etc...

Blizzard actively tries to keep Real World Religion out of their games, and if you're going to do it for one side, you must do it for both.

Did you even read the post? They allow "theist" but not "atheist."
Edited by Brian#1699 on 6/6/2012 7:30 AM PDT
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-naming-policy

I think they would blanket it under inappropriate:
Has any connotations of major religions or religious figures (i.e. Jesus, Christianity, Buddha)

Technically atheist shouldn't fall under that but they are probably grouping it there.

but theist shouldn't be allowed either so that one is probably an oversight.
If he is an Atheist he does not believe in Hell therefore he can not battle the Diablo.
90 Dwarf Hunter
Dude its a game find another name and get over it.

Did you even read the post? They allow "theist" but not "atheist."

Theist is a generic term that denotes someone who believes in something. All religious people are theists.

However, I'm sure that if you reported someone named theist, they would flag it for a re-name
90 Tauren Warrior
The "America" we live in now-a-days allows people with no real problems to voice their inability to name their character a religion, or lack-there-of as if it's a real problem. Damn them.
I like people talking like blizzard is a single entity with a single religion. WE ARE BLIZZARDD
People don't have a right not to be offended. Freedom of Speech is something the first world values dearly, or at least pretends to. I'm not sure what makes Blizzard think they can regulate something as subjective as offensive names.

I didn't buy the Christian edition of Diablo 3.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]