Diablo® III

FPS drops on occasion. Tips?

Pre-note: I saw a similiar issue on another topic here, but my fps drops far worse than half, and no one near as often as every 15 mins.. I hope this isnt the same issue stated in that topic, if so, Ill be happy to paste this in that topic if this is deemed too similiar :) TLDR is at the bottom!

Hi guys, Since I started Diablo 3 I've noticed that my computer has random FPS drops that last about 20-30 seconds(This happens every 40-60 mins, sometimes less, more often the higher the settings, it appears). It starts with a small drop, to around maybe 20-30 fps, but without fail, each time, it drops to 2-4 FPS which continues, until the game goes directly back to full speed 60 FPS. I can play full speed FPS at all max settings, max resolution without a problem, but it seems the fps drop occurs more if I have it at higher settings. I've got it to a point that in single player it barely happens, but still can happen. In multi-player its much more noticeable.

This fps drop also occurs at complete random. There are no triggering events or skills, or even a certain character is does it more on. Not a certain act, either (though It may just be coincidence, it seems to have happened the most in the spider queens cave).

At first I thought It was just my computers performance issues, but recently I played another game which never had this issue, and happened to this game too, now! I ran antivirus, and I always play d3 with no applications running, and minimal processes. (all processes except network and system related, I kill before I play).

Could this still be a sign of low compatability, or is my graphics card/something else going dead? Ive never had this problem with any other games, and Ive run higher-demanding games before.

My specs are :
Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (Yes, old, but its ran everything fine for me, and is supported)
Processor : Intel(r) Core(TM)2 duo CPU e7500
RAM : 6 GB
Windows 7, 64 bit.

Graphics card drivers up to date :) Can someone please give suggestions? It sucks I cant play hardcore mode with my friend because this fps drop will surely cause my death.

P.S. I messed with all the graphics settings in Diablo 3.

TL;DR :
Specs are above, Getting completely random fps drops that last 20-30 seconds every 45-60 mins(sometimes less) and are really severe, no matter what graphics settings I choose. Would appreciate some help guys!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I have the same GeForce as you, and I experience the same problem w/ all the games I play. If you find an answer to your problem, please let me know as well!
Reply Quote
Will do! Glad to see im not the only one. Maybe its one of the driver updates that messed it up? anyone else have any input?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I have the same issue and found the problem.

Overheating of the GPU.

Everything is great until the GPU reaches around 110C the all hell breaks loose with framerate. I took off the case siding and had a fan blowing on the internals and no framerate problems at all and the GPU temp drops to around 95C.

Even if you say this isn't your specific problem, at least try this solution to see if you might be mistaken.
Reply Quote
Go to your nvidia control panel and try switching your physics to "GPU" rather than "auto" or "CPU" and turn off Threaded Optimization.

If that doesnt help go back into the control panel and turn off vsync and triple buffering- then in your in-game settings set max foreground FPS to 60. (or higher depending on your monitors refresh rate)
Edited by tomBe4tsu#1885 on 6/8/2012 3:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I also have the same issue and card. Please post in here if you find a solution.
Reply Quote
Try turning your Max Foreground FPS down. Some of the "OC" cards or some versions of the nVidia drivers usually rely on the program to help determine the FPS. With some newer games giving the control to players, most have no idea wtf to do...and max it out.

If your card is SCREAMING at all times, turn down your Maximum Foreground FPS to ~40-60. If your card doesn't FPS limit very well, you could end up with performance spikes. Technically, the card could also have a much shorter lifespan.

-Hate
Reply Quote
I currently have the max settings turned off, as wouldnt unchecking the box just remove the max anyway and default to the highest (which is off vsync)
Reply Quote
I have the same issue and found the problem.

Overheating of the GPU.

Everything is great until the GPU reaches around 110C the all hell breaks loose with framerate. I took off the case siding and had a fan blowing on the internals and no framerate problems at all and the GPU temp drops to around 95C.

Even if you say this isn't your specific problem, at least try this solution to see if you might be mistaken.

I always have my case off, but thinking of trying a can of air, or using a fan to possibly remove dust.. Though I do not beleive overheating to be the problem.. It could be possible :) Ill try it out
Reply Quote
My computer,
i7-2630QM
8GB RAM
GeForce 550 1GB Dedicated

And fps will plunge till around ~10 when I fight mobs.

This problem happened suddenly. 2 days ago I was playing smoothly at 40fps straight, no matter how much animation or battling. But now. Damn..
Reply Quote
This is exactly my situation, except that my FPS dips to around ~4 instead.

Also, like the OP, I'm running a 9800, but mine is the mobile version.

I'm seeing a trend in the 9800's having an issue with this game, as I've also found this post:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5626185592?page=1#4
Reply Quote
WOWOWOWOOWOW. Okay so if you turn of your sound (ctrl+s) the fps lag goes away. BLIZZARD FIX THIS :C
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]