Diablo® III

Inferno Act 2 beyond: Barbarian

I know that there are some threads about this, but I spent a week to test out and rebuild my Barb so I could ultimately compare it to other classes when it comes to inferno act 2.

My barbarian has:

38k hp
1000 all resist
8300 armor
19k DPS
(when it comes to resist/armor, I'm getting close to bumping up against the 80% reduction of damage mark.)

I have studied intensely on which skills to use for inferno.

I can roll act 1 inferno with no problem, and I have farmed(butcher runs) for about a week. I then used the proceeds from the AH to get myself some gear that has all resist, vitality, and strength (which yielded my info above) so I could head to act 2. I Spent about 10 mill and countless hours over the last week to achieve this. I also spent many hours hunting deals to get the most bang for my buck out of my 10 mill. Considering barbarians need all resist, str, and vit armor, good gear is obviously very very expensive. To be able to buy gear thats at all better than my new current gear, the cheapest upgrades I could get in the AH would cost 150,000,000 gold total for all new everything. No joke, and I'll get back to this. So, with this new 10 mill worth of gear, I spent countless hours playing in public games and with friends that have other classes. Just to test the viability of the barbarian.

Starting in act 2 this is basically how it goes, my friend "dude c'mon tank," me "dude I can't". I can't do anything. I get rolled so hard starting in act 2 inferno its honestly funny. I can't tank or play the roll of a DPS'er. My huge effort in upgrading my gear (great gear is about 3 times more important for Barbarians than any other class) has basically yielded next to nothing. If I were to post pictures of my gear/stats, and a video or two of my experience with act 2 inferno from just running around.. nobody would bother to roll a Barb.

Viability of the Barbarian?
What if I spent that 150,000,000?
Basically the only upgrades I can accomplish for all this gold is a 1.2 increase in protection.
The only true upgrade I could get, considering the best of the best on the AH, would be to increase my DPS. I already have a weapon that does 1000 damage base, with the added stat of +230 strength, and some vitality too among other things. I could get a little better than this though of course. Basically the only thing 150 mill would yield me is having armor that gives 200-250 strength (75 all resist 100 vit), instead of 100-150 strength (70 all resist 100 vit) So I could up my DPS from 19k to about 25k, possibly a little higher. I don't want to get this to long, so without explaining and crunching a bunch of numbers on here, I'm just going to say this isn't going to do a heck of a lot. It would allow me to carefully after dying a million times to get to the end of act 3 and act 4. And allow me to kill inferno diablo, just barely, so I could be able to make a nifty youtube video. But secretly I'd still be getting my butt owned everywhere I went in inferno act 2 and beyond. Which isn't really even to mention elite packs.

Are barbarians viable? Well yes of course in the sense they can kill inferno diablo, we've seen it on youtube. But ultimately the answer is no because as-is they will never be able to farm with any effectiveness. Or, tank for their buddies during group play in inferno act 2 and beyond. Also, its already known they can't be stacked for DPS and have any survivablity. The classes are without a doubt not balanced well. If I take my Barb that is set up pretty sweet with the numbers I have above, into a public game in act 2, other classes are winning and I'm dying, repairing, buying potions, dying, then I'm broke.

Anyways, just wanted to share my experience with Diablo 3 playing a barbarian.
Edited by Mikex#1797 on 5/31/2012 5:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
i hear you im haveing the same problem but !@#$ that i will get past act 2 !
Reply Quote
Screenshot of your stats or your a lying newbie...
Reply Quote
OP, this guy's channel may help you. The dude has solo videos of different inferno bosses as barbarian, he makes it look easy. I think he rolls a very dps heavy build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvdnQ-AuoUs
Edited by Itharius#1253 on 5/31/2012 5:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Solid post.

Well done. This answers a lot of questions for me.

Inferno needs to be completely redesigned. Any simple damage reduction changes they do to mobs will simply result in ranged being even more OP than before.

This coming from an inferno DH who has been farming non stop.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
i'm starting to believe that gap from act 1 to 2 is a bit much... i can easily kill anything in act 1 but i get killed so fast in act 2 it just frustrates me.
Reply Quote
How can you not survive act 2 with those stats? Are you intentionally playing without any defensive skills, or life regenerating skills or something?

I play a barbarian too and I know act 2 is absolutely ridiculous, but you should be able to handle it with those stats, I've seen plenty of people do it with much worse.
Reply Quote
I've seen these videos, Barbarians like the one I have work well for bosses, but thats about it. Thats what I mean by I'd be able to kill inferno diablo, but would still be getting owned running around the rest of the act.

And for the record, my resist are 1000 when I use War Cry. It's a must use for all barbarians.
Reply Quote
Thanks for that Mikex. I got my Barb to 60 in about 8 days and got to inferno act 1. Seeing other classes doing much better in inferno, I decided to roll a DH so that I have some actual farming capability.

Maybe I will revisit the barb several months from now if the class is improved. Right now though, only very skilled, very patient players stand a chance at doing well with a barb.
Reply Quote
And yet my barbarian that I buy stuff from the AH at 20k max BO can clear act 2 inferno.

I say you're lying and you're bad.
Reply Quote
I'm not doubting at all that it's hard but yesterday me and my Barb friend ventured into Act 2 Inferno, sure it's great difficulty but what would Inferno be if it wasn't? He was able to tank the majority of the packs quite easily, with the ones he couldn't i would kite around till they FALL TO THEIR KNEES (I'm a DH).

You've gotta ask yourself, what are your team mates doing to help apart from just being a glass cannon? personally I use the knockback AoE (Flying monsters that tumble to the ground) and Bola Shot with the stun impact on crit. Both abilities helping my Barb regain his momentum quite easily. Those extra 1.5 seconds of a mob not hitting you are literally fight-changing.

EDIT: I won't comment on Solo Barbing Act 2, I'm sure in some mysterious way it's possible, but yeah you're quite out of luck on that one.
Edited by PenusBeard#1530 on 5/31/2012 5:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
And yet my barbarian that I buy stuff from the AH at 20k max BO can clear act 2 inferno.

I say you're lying and you're bad.

Dude you're the one thats lying. Because I know that people I know and myself aren't.
Reply Quote
I'm not doubting at all that it's hard but yesterday me and my Barb friend ventured into Act 2 Inferno, sure it's great difficulty but what would Inferno be if it wasn't? He was able to tank the majority of the packs quite easily, with the ones he couldn't i would kite around till they FALL TO THEIR KNEES (I'm a DH).

You've gotta ask yourself, what are your team mates doing to help apart from just being a glass cannon? personally I use the knockback AoE (Flying monsters that tumble to the ground) and Bola Shot with the stun impact on crit. Both abilities helping my Barb regain his momentum quite easily. Those extra 1.5 seconds of a mob not hitting you are literally fight-changing.

EDIT: I won't comment on Solo Barbing Act 2, I'm sure in some mysterious way it's possible, but yeah you're quite out of luck on that one.

Nope I can't solo even. Even with my stats I doubt I could finish act 2 by myself period.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the responses, I am going to go ahead and make a video tomorrow.
Reply Quote
I hear ya! Im a barb on act 2 inferno and its so hard, I can harldy make any progress when I play.

It's at the point where its like, do I continue playing my barb or do I start playing the DH i got back on normal.
Reply Quote
What's your eHP at?
Reply Quote
Thanks for that Mikex. I got my Barb to 60 in about 8 days and got to inferno act 1. Seeing other classes doing much better in inferno, I decided to roll a DH so that I have some actual farming capability.

Maybe I will revisit the barb several months from now if the class is improved. Right now though, only very skilled, very patient players stand a chance at doing well with a barb.

You'll be horribly disappointed if you think playing DH will be much, much easier. DH is so unsurvivable that you'll need to roll a glass cannon build and cross you're fingers that you aren't hit by ANYTHING, because virtually every ranged ability in act II and on will OHK you.

The game is hard for everyone. As a Barbarian, you need to be very wary of your cooldowns and dodge telegraphed melee abilities to survive. But that's the case with everyone, especially since the SS and Serenity nerfs.
Edited by Itharius#1253 on 5/31/2012 6:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I hear ya! Im a barb on act 2 inferno and its so hard, I can harldy make any progress when I play.

It's at the point where its like, do I continue playing my barb or do I start playing the DH i got back on normal.

Want to reroll a DH with me? lol

What really sucks is that I played since day 1 so I could be at least some what at the front of the pack, but now my Barb is useless and I have to start all over. I guess its not really a big deal, but it is still kind of disappointing.

I heard a rumor that Barbs are getting buffed and balanced in 1.0.3, has anybody heard anything about this?
Reply Quote

You'll be horribly disappointed if you think playing DH will be much, much easier. DH is so unsurvivable that you'll need to roll a glass cannon build and cross you're fingers that you aren't hit by ANYTHING, because virtually every ranged ability in act II and on will OHK you.

This is true, but a DH with really good gear are hardcore awesome. Wayyyy better than a barbarian with equally good gear. My friend is a DH and has crap gear, they die only 5% as much as me, and do way more damage. They let me play with them only because I play the part of a sacrificial lamb to keep them from getting killed. Starting in act 2 I'm not good for anything else.
Reply Quote
my stats are as follows fully buffed w/ enchantress
STR - 975
DEX - 239
INT - 217
VIT - 1330

Armor - 10,720
DPS - 6215.04

Block Amount - 2794-3704
Block Chance - 19%
DMG Reduction - 78.13%
PHYS RES - 1102
Cold RES - 1286
Fire RES - 1043
Lightning - 1151
Poison - 1115
ARC/Holy - 1043

Max Life - 46,826
Life/second - 227.00
Life/hit - 337.00

With those stats i can solo Act 2 with ease so you should be able too as well, now some champ/elite packs can still be a pain but doable. With my wizard buddy i can still tank the mobs no problem cept for certian mixtures of the champ/elite packs. 3 or more players in party i have not tried and as is with my stats i cant even begin to touch Act 3 im guessing i need around 1200-1300+ all res for that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]