Diablo® III

Real-Money AH Battle.net® Terms of Use Update

85 Troll Shaman
06/08/2012 03:29 PMPosted by EradicateX
People saying the mobile authenticator is free, not really free when you have that hidden fee of buying a smart phone.

Man, nobody is going to go buy a smartphone for the purpose of having a mobile authenticator. With that said, you can't possibly believe that the mobile authenticator has a hidden fee of buying a smartphone when the users of the product already have a smartphone.

If you can't afford the few dollars it costs to buy an authenticator then you can use the same app from the smartphone on your computer by using the method many people have already described in this thread. Well, that is unless you think this method has an imbedded cost of buying a computer.

If you can't use any of the genuinely free methods for any reason, and you plan to be an RMAH consumer, you probably don't have the resources to buy anything from the auction house if you can't afford the authenticator. If you plan on being an RMAH producer, then you should be happy as this process will only help regulate the economy as it makes life hard for the botters to sell their goods inside the safety of the Blizzard auction house. Think of it as a small investment for a larger return.
Edited by Shinsynn#1794 on 6/8/2012 3:54 PM PDT
85 Dwarf Hunter
06/08/2012 03:42 PMPosted by Yulric
Authenticators are free in all forms people. The only thing you have to pay for with the physical version is the cost of shipping. Blizzard makes no profit from it. It has always been this way.

You shouldn't have to pay anything for it, period. This mobile "free" authenticator bulls*it for smartphones is just what it is, bulls*int. They should be free in every way, shape, or form and included into every game box if there is a feature of the game that requires them. Nobody should have to pay a cent extra for either shipping or handling.

To address this, people have mentioned increased game cost by including this with the game and people are demanding it should be free. Either way the cost would have to go somewhere. Even if they include it with the game, it's not like the authenticators are made in the same physical location as the games and the whole process would simply be redirecting where the shipping cost goes to. Also, to say you should get one with every game, is an unjustifiable cost to any company. What's the use of having multiple authenticators for every game i buy from Blizzard. Even I would start to get irritated with all the authenticators I would have lying around lol.
06/08/2012 10:19 AMPosted by tetra
Give us authenticators for free if you want to make money off us then!

this

I have a job, so I don't need to play a video game to make money. And it's not exactly scamming people if they're the ones clicking 'buy it now' on ebay. I still feel bad though.

Karma has a way of biting you on the a** when you least expect it anyway so don't worry about it.

It already has. My girlfriends daughter wanted Justin Bieber tickets for her birthday. They sold out in less than 30 seconds so now they're going to cost heaps more than from ticketmaster because of greedy people like myself. You can see why I feel like a jerk for doing it to other people now.
06/08/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Alamyst
Ummm...they can't

Very good response. It will give me decades of thoughtful reflection.

I am unaware of what banking facilities you use, but my bank has a security guarantee. Also, in the unlikely event my account is compromised with them, the bank, will return the full portion of the money that was in my account. Notice they return the full amount, not what was in there a day or weeks ago.
My bank is rated with the FDIC as one of the safest banks in all of America. Go do a little research maybe?

Ebay, an auction house is very secure statistically. As they already have a system in place to detect when a user logs in on a different IP then normal. This allows for them to detect fraudulent charges if the case occurs and again statistically that is rare.

You don't think hackers have the ability to work around that? Most banks give you the option of confirming it's you by sending you an e-mail or a text message. Chances are, if they have your bank info, they can get your e-mail too. Maybe your system was compromised and they even have access to your IP. If that's the case, I'm sure they won't need e-mail access.

My point is, people are really good at stealing. These aren't your run-of-the-mill run-into-a-liquor-store-and-point-a-gun-at-someone criminals. They break into secure systems for a living.
Wow, WinAuth 1.6 is over 6 months old

But WinAuth 1.7 just got updated like 47 hours ago: http://code.google.com/p/winauth/downloads/list
Right before this RMAH policy change.

That sounds kind of suspicious.
Is it safe to use WinAuth as your authenticator?
$6.50 (or free if you have a smartphone) authenticator required to send money to Blizzard, so that hackers won't be able to launder your money to their accounts; if a hacker got into an account with money in its Battle.net balance, they could buy items on the RMAH, then trade those items to their own account; now they can't do that, as anyone with money in their account will have an authenticator.

+1

Karma has a way of biting you on the a** when you least expect it anyway so don't worry about it.

It already has. My girlfriends daughter wanted Justin Bieber tickets for her birthday. They sold out in less than 30 seconds so now they're going to cost heaps more than from ticketmaster because of greedy people like myself. You can see why I feel like a jerk for doing it to other people now.

just as an aside Ticketmaster owns and operates one of the most popular ticket resellers...seems wrong but hey its smart
+

I totally agree. authenticator should be mandatory in order to use the AH.

personlly i think they should be mandartory to play the game, but if people want to be idiots then they can play without one.
5 Gnome Mage
Anybody complaining about the paltry cost of having to get an authenticator to protect your account probably shouldn't be worrying about a game right about now. The fact that you don't have a smart phone when they are practically giving them away in cereal boxes now says enough.
06/08/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Drocketro
Anybody complaining about the paltry cost of having to get an authenticator to protect your account probably shouldn't be worrying about a game right about now. The fact that you don't have a smart phone when they are practically giving them away in cereal boxes now says enough.

Come to the 3rd world country bro.
Am I going to have to set up like I'm "planning" on using the real money auction house? Rather, i'd like to not change a thing and see if the gold auction house is still good enough to keep playing.
This forum is a worse echo chamber than Fox News.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

MY EYES ARE BLEEDING FROM THE STUPIDITY OF THIS THREAD MAKE IT STOP I'LL BUY AUTHENTICATORS FOR ALL 1% OF THE 7,000,000 PEOPLE THAT OWN THIS GAME THAT DON'T OWN SMART PHONES THAT ARE INCREDIBLY VOCAL AND CHEAP IF YOU MAKE IT STOOOPPPP

Ahem.

Sorry about that.

If you're complaining about the cost of an authenticator, you're probably the same type of person that would sue Blizzard when your accounts gets hacked because you visited a bad site two years ago and say, "You didn't do enough!"

$6.50, or about the amount you will make on the RMAH after 5 hours of farming. Totally worth the tantrum.

"Hey, Mom? Can you buy me a smart phone?"

"No."

"But this guy I know from school made like $600 in like three hours."

"No."

"AwwwwwwWWWW! Why, why, why?"

"Because your Dad has played all day. He skipped work, forgot to pick you up from school, skipped dinner, and missed A Clash of Kings so he could play all day."

"But-"

"All. Day. That's 12 hours, Timmy."

"But how much did he make?" [ Gets excited] Did he make A LOT!?"

"He made $19.43."

"AWESOME!"

"That's $1.66 an hour, Timmy."

"YAY!"

"That's less than minimum wage in 1970."

"Huh?"

"You're just like your father."

"Thanks, Mom!"
Edited by Dobralov#1335 on 6/8/2012 4:28 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]