Diablo® III

Real-Money AH Battle.net® Terms of Use Update

85 Dwarf Hunter
The best thing is that a lot of complaints are valid in a sense, but at the same time, this is to protect you. The game itself is meh. But when it comes to money, it becomes a huge concern. The new EULA and TOS were rewritten for this purpose to protect you as an end user of the RMAH as well as Blizzard. If anything, Blizzard should let you use the RMAH without an authenticator with the understanding that you lose all legal rights to sue for a compromised account other than on Blizzard's side. YOU will assume all responsibility, and if you get hacked and your RL bank account wiped clean, YOU will need to deal with it. You will have no recourse from Blizzard. Of course the government won't like that, and then you will come to the forums with the 'F' Blizzard for not protecting you when you had the chance to pick up an authenticator.

Most likely, their lawyers realized they needed to protect themselves from hackers messing with you, yourself and the government.

I would like to see case sensitive passwords though.
06/08/2012 12:04 PMPosted by Sinstar
Because some people have them already, having secured their accounts at an earlier point in time. And losing money to give someone an extra authenticator when they buy Diablo 3 - one that they don't need, when they already have one - is not only a loss of profit for Blizzard, but a completely unnecessary one.

On the contrary, I feel it is a completely necessary expense. The hacking/authenticator situation has caused nothing but negative publicity and fostered ill will towards the company as a whole. I won't make assumptions about how many people had authenticators pre-Diablo 3 as I do not have such information. However, eating a bit of a loss to foster good will with your customers is not exactly something Blizzard has not done before. I accrued at least 3 months of free time in WoW over my 5 years of playing. Apply those 3 months to EVERYONE playing WoW and I'm sure it far outpaces the cost of shipping duplicate authenticators to some of the Diablo 3 population.
Why is everyone upset about this? Authenticators are cheap, the fact that you have a computer, internet, and time to play the game means you must have at least the $6.50 to buy the real authenticators shipping cost. I got an authenticator several years ago for WoW, and watched as a ton of people got hacked around me and eventually got one as well. This isn't Blizzard's failure to secure their accounts, like some people seem to believe. It's the end user failing to keep their personal information safe. Blizz has no control over whether you let a keylogger infect your system, and they can't stop you from getting phished or entering your account info on a scam site. They are doing this so the end user's inability to keep their PCs secure and keep their account info to themselves doesn't ruin their RMAH. I can't imagine the first fool with more money than sense to throw 100$ on his battle.net balance and get hacked. One s***storm like that alone is worth this policy, in all honesty.

If it really upsets you that a cheap -or free- authenticator is required when playing with real money in a game that so populated that hackers have an easy time taking whatever they want from probably 75% of standard do-anything PC users, then I would have to argue that you should consider what account security means to you before you start throwing money at said account. You can lose $0-$6.50 on an authenticator, or your entire account balance when you get hacked. The sad part is, Blizzard both does and would help recover lost accounts with balance on them even through people's braindead raging at them.

Don't buy the authenticator (or download it, or whatever you might do), and trust me when I say even $6.50 is worth not going through the hassle of recovering an account, even if you don't do anything with the RMAH. What were you going to do with that $6.50 anyway? Probably nothing more memorable than knowing you are solid the next time you scan your machine to discover a data miner.

TL;DR - The policy makes perfect sense from a reasonable perspective.
I'm glad they are doing this, So all the nitwits out there who like to claim Blizzard is responsible for their computer's security will be either forced to get an authenticator or stay away from the RMAH. This is what it's come to, I for one am glad blizzard is doing this.
Edited by zrye#1873 on 6/8/2012 12:23 PM PDT
So now it comes down to what some "conspiracy" people were crying about earlier, Blizzard is forcing you to use an authenticator. Making it mandatory. Should you have one, yes. However if made mandatory, Blizzard should provide them to it's customers. I know the phone ones are free, but not everyone has a phone. I know the physical ones are at cost, but maybe people don't have it. Throw out the tired argument that if you can afford the game you can afford the extra for the authenticator. Maybe it was a gift? Either way stop making excuses for a billion dollar company. If they want you to use it, they should provide it. PERIOD.

Now that said, what is Blizzard going to do when hackers redouble their efforts and someone WITH the correct authenticator gets hacked and loses a considerable amount of real money? Are they writing their EULA and TOS to make YOU the problem in any case? Seems likely.

It will tell alot about the company, and where I spend my money when the first case of this happens (and it WILL happen) and Blizzard doesn't take care of the customer, but blames them and tells them tough luck.

Will they be a stand up company and refund lost dollars to people with mandatory authenticators, or will they weasel out of their responsibility somehow? Time will tell, but I know which one I'm betting on.
06/08/2012 12:18 PMPosted by frost
Because some people have them already, having secured their accounts at an earlier point in time. And losing money to give someone an extra authenticator when they buy Diablo 3 - one that they don't need, when they already have one - is not only a loss of profit for Blizzard, but a completely unnecessary one.

On the contrary, I feel it is a completely necessary expense. The hacking/authenticator situation has caused nothing but negative publicity and fostered ill will towards the company as a whole. I won't make assumptions about how many people had authenticators pre-Diablo 3 as I do not have such information. However, eating a bit of a loss to foster good will with your customers is not exactly something Blizzard has not done before. I accrued at least 3 months of free time in WoW over my 5 years of playing. Apply those 3 months to EVERYONE playing WoW and I'm sure it far outpaces the cost of shipping duplicate authenticators to some of the Diablo 3 population.

The month of WoW doesn't cost them anything to give away. It simply doesn't add to revenue. The authenticator-in-every box would take away from revenue by increasing manufacturing costs. If they did add an authenticator, the redundancy would be atrocious and it doesn't make sense from a financial point of view. They would literally have to tack on another $10+ to every game to compensate for the increased to-shelf cost of every box. So many people have smart phones that the argument is nearly invalid as it is, but in the end this is a problem with people's PCs and inability to secure their own information. Blizzard is simply protecting themselves from then end-user's shortcomings. I sure as hell wouldn't let anyone use their compromised money under my company name without some sort of protection.
100 Human Paladin
I think the statement on here says it all. lol

http://www.diablowed.com/2012/06/diablo-iii-real-money-ah-battlenet.html
So now it comes down to what some "conspiracy" people were crying about earlier, Blizzard is forcing you to use an authenticator. Making it mandatory. Should you have one, yes. However if made mandatory, Blizzard should provide them to it's customers. I know the phone ones are free, but not everyone has a phone. I know the physical ones are at cost, but maybe people don't have it. Throw out the tired argument that if you can afford the game you can afford the extra for the authenticator. Maybe it was a gift? Either way stop making excuses for a billion dollar company. If they want you to use it, they should provide it. PERIOD.

Now that said, what is Blizzard going to do when hackers redouble their efforts and someone WITH the correct authenticator gets hacked and loses a considerable amount of real money? Are they writing their EULA and TOS to make YOU the problem in any case? Seems likely.

It will tell alot about the company, and where I spend my money when the first case of this happens (and it WILL happen) and Blizzard doesn't take care of the customer, but blames them and tells them tough luck.

Will they be a stand up company and refund lost dollars to people with mandatory authenticators, or will they weasel out of their responsibility somehow? Time will tell, but I know which one I'm betting on.

Well, if YOU get YOUR account hacked, it is YOUR fault I would think. They already give you a free app or shipping-cost physical authenticator to help you with this problem. The RMAH is not a part of the game that is "required", so you are not "required" to have the authenticator. I see no issue here, from the perspective of a person thinking about the legal issues that follow "real" money.
90 Gnome Priest
Come on people complaining about the price of an Authenticator to secure YOUR OWN systems.

It's SIX dollars and FIFTY cents (U.S. currency). Don't freaking go to Starbucks ONE DAY (or insert random costly act you do every day or two that you don't HAVE to do), and you've paid for your authenticator. Last I checked, that's enough to cover shipping and processing (let's not forget they have to pay someone to package AND ship them) to anywhere in the US. Let's not even mention that the actual COST of these to Blizzard is probably 3-4 dollars each. That means you're basically getting an Authenticator for free. You're paying LESS overall than what Blizzard has to pay for the Keyfobs and Processing / Shipping costs.

They are taking a LOSS on helping YOU secure YOUR account, because it's cheaper on them in the long run to do this, than it is to pay CS support reps to handle all of the account compromises. Good business decision.

TL;DR - The policy makes perfect sense from a reasonable perspective.

Well now, aren't you a good and proper consumer.

It might take a bit more thought than the first one that comes to a persons simple thought process, I suppose... Let me use my money, from my bank or credit card, to buy things under your company name. Now suppose my computer is compromised and you don't have a policy saying that end-user faults aren't your faults. I sue you because I lost my money. It's the American way to sue for whatever you can - is it surprising that businesses have to protect themselves from the rabble?

They would literally have to tack on another $10+ to every game to compensate for the increased to-shelf cost of every box.

Your logic baffles me. Blizzard is already losing money on the authenticators. That is one of the main arguments made in this thread. They are giving them away for free sans shipping cost. Now they put them in the box instead of making people pay for shipping, and they have to raise the price $10? Sorry. Your logic doesn't track.

As for your comment about WoW not costing them money, in the end of the day giving away authenticators and free months of WoW end up on the same place in the balance sheet. One is increased costs, one is lost revenue. They both effect profit negatively and in the end that is what matters on a balance sheet. The good will fostered by such actions FAR outweighs the minimal, relatively speaking, cost to Blizzard.

Edit: If you are so hell bent on the "additional" cost of duplicate authenticators, then why doesn't Blizzard just offer free shipping to anyone with an active Diablo 3 account who does not have an authenticator attached? The end result is the same, and there is no duplication of physical devices. Problem solved.
Edited by frost#1331 on 6/8/2012 12:42 PM PDT
06/08/2012 10:35 AMPosted by Thorox
Authenticators are what? $6? If you can't afford that then you can't afford to use the RMAH...
85 Dwarf Hunter

You are being 'forced' to use one for a small portion of the game. A portion that costs you your hard earned dollars from someone's actual income in the real world. To play the game, it is not mandatory. Society has proven itself to be unreliable and everyday that goes by, more and more people are proving that sense of entitlement and lack of self responsibility is becoming the norm. Therefore more and more companies, as well as the government, are imposing restrictions in order to protect themselves as well as their end users. The cost is still passed onto the consumer in any case. Case in point, PCI Compliance is only one example where protection is mandatory.
Main Entry: Entitlement Generation

Part of Speech: N

Definition: The group born between 1979 and 1995 who believe they are owed certain rights and benefits without further justification.

Example: The entitlement generation expects higher salaries, flexible work hours, and ample time off. (EDIT) And free ways to make money on a game!

You got your generations wrong there. You mixed Y and Z together. X is no future, 60-75. Y is F everything (the grunge generation), 75-90. Z is the entitled little emperor you talk about, 90+.
How does it cost

They would literally have to tack on another $10+ to every game to compensate for the increased to-shelf cost of every box.

Your logic baffles me. Blizzard is already losing money on the authenticators. That is one of the main arguments made in this thread. They are giving them away for free sans shipping cost. Now they put them in the box instead of making people pay for shipping, and they have to raise the price $10? Sorry. Your logic doesn't track.

As for your comment about WoW not costing them money, in the end of the day giving away authenticators and free months of WoW end up on the same place in the balance sheet. One is increased costs, one is lost revenue. They both effect profit negatively and in the end that is what matters on a balance sheet. The good will fostered by such actions FAR outweighs the minimal, relatively speaking, cost to Blizzard.

Main Entry: Entitlement Generation

Part of Speech: n

Definition: The group born between 1979 and 1994 who believe they are owed certain rights and benefits without further justification

Example: The entitlement generation expects higher salaries, flexible work hours, and ample time off. (Poster Edit:) And they expect ways to play games for free and make money off of them at the same time! GAMES!
Ah so to use this feature we have to pay for an authenticator in order to give 15% commission to blizzard on sales.

Interesting.

Exactly why they should give the authenticators for free. They'll be taking some money from RMAH anyways, might as well take a small loss on authenticators and get more people using it.

They should give them for free because they constantly fail to make their games secure.
Cool and Blizz will be creating accounts and selling the best items and money for real money. I see the scheme unfolding now....
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]