Diablo® III

Having success with high dps monk build

Hey all, so I've been tinkering around with what started out as a CS build that centers on high dps/ life leech and have finally come up with something that got me past Act one Inferno (solo). Check out the build :
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bWXgYk!UdY!ccbaca

So the basic strategy is as follows:

step 1 - put on MoC (duh)
step 2 - engage mob, trigger foresight
step 3 - trigger blazing wrath and/or blinding flash
step 4 - destroy everything with Breaking Wave whilst spamming MoC

By step 4, the total +dmg is = to +121% for 3 sec and +91% for the next 12 seconds until the cool down on blinding flash resolves. If I am in a group, my teammates are getting anywhere between +24% to +58% dmg at all times.

My own monk has about 10k BASE dps with two 400'ish dps fist weapons. I'm also able to keep my health pool at about 35k, res all at +371, dodge at 39% and ~350 life on hit. My gear is not the best, but I still slice through act 1 mobs with ease and barely ever die.

So that's my build/strategy which has been working for me so far, thought I'd share it and maybe even get some feedback / advice.
Edited by Radiohead293#1532 on 5/29/2012 8:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
.........<------21k act 1
Reply Quote
i tried it... cant really kill elites quite yet... need to die a few times. almsot same stats 2.00 as, 10k dps, 41k hp, 300 resis all, 45% dodge, 447 life on hit, i actually tried it on the mobs before butcher...
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
05/29/2012 08:46 PMPosted by DarkSword
i tried it... cant really kill elites quite yet... need to die a few times. almsot same stats 2.00 as, 10k dps, 41k hp, 300 resis all, 45% dodge, 447 life on hit, i actually tried it on the mobs before butcher...

If you can't kill elites in act 1 inferno with those stats, it's not the spec that's the problem.

Transcendence over StI? Is there a reason for this choice?
Reply Quote
14 Gnome Mage
05/29/2012 08:18 PMPosted by Radiohead293
By step 4, the total +dmg is = to +121% for 3 sec and +91% for the next 12 seconds until the cool down on blinding flash resolves
Damage multipliers are multiplicative and you seem to be treating them as if they were additive.

Your modifiers are:
1.18 (deadly reach)
1.1 (crippling wave)
1.15 (breath of heaven)
1.24 (MoC) or 1.48 (Overawe)
1.3 (during Faith in Light)

DR, CW, BoH, and MoC: 85% bonus damage.
DR, CW, BoH, and Overawe: 121% bonus damage.
DR, CW, BoH, Overawe, and FitL: 187% bonus damage.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
.........<------21k act 1

1.000 dps weapon?

I'll answer on his behalf, yes it's most likely a 1k dps weapon. I personally am using a 1064dps Daibo and sport 23k dps combat buffed.

2h weapons with 1k+ dps isn't expensive really, you can nab some passable ones for around 100k-300k on the AH, which is about 1-2 hours worth of farm. Once I laid my hands on one of those I started tearing my way through Act I.
Reply Quote
<---- 35k damage unbuffed
Reply Quote
rayzor what weps/spec do u run to get that much unbuffed dmg?
Reply Quote
1.1k dps 2handed spear http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UecZTQ!cdU!cbZcaZ any monks succeeded in clearing inferno diablo solo yet ?
Edited by Rayzor#6505 on 5/31/2012 12:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i got 2 700-800 dps weps both with Attack speed with 2 attack speed rings and attack speed gloves and i do around 50k buffed, 26k unbuffed
Reply Quote
What are the advantages of having 2 dps weps vs a 2H weapon?
Reply Quote
05/29/2012 09:50 PMPosted by Mouthwash
By step 4, the total +dmg is = to +121% for 3 sec and +91% for the next 12 seconds until the cool down on blinding flash resolves
Damage multipliers are multiplicative and you seem to be treating them as if they were additive.

Your modifiers are:
1.18 (deadly reach)
1.1 (crippling wave)
1.15 (breath of heaven)
1.24 (MoC) or 1.48 (Overawe)
1.3 (during Faith in Light)

DR, CW, BoH, and MoC: 85% bonus damage.
DR, CW, BoH, and Overawe: 121% bonus damage.
DR, CW, BoH, Overawe, and FitL: 187% bonus damage.

Actually, those calculations are not entirely correct as Faith in the Light is currently bugged and does about 60% more dps instead of 30.
Reply Quote
05/31/2012 02:31 PMPosted by Jason
What are the advantages of having 2 dps weps vs a 2H weapon?

2H: Higher weapon damage when using special abilities. Does the most DPS.

1H+Shield: 1.4-1.5 attacks per second means fast Life On Hit heals and quicker spirit regen than with a 2H, plus higher armor and block chance from shield. Worst DPS.

Dual Wield: 1.4-1.5 attacks per second and a built-in 15% attack speed increase means even faster spirit generation and life on hit heals. Also gives you an extra slot that can have Life On Hit, so arguably the best survivability against packs.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I use a similar build - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bWXgik!UgY!ccbaYa

The standard is high attack speed wepons with any item you can get that gives +attack speed% on it as well, you can easily break 2.00 attacks per second.

Also, although combination strike is lower than FiL, sweeping winds is currently bugged to apply to combination strike anyway, so you are getting a constant 24% damage rather than a periodic 30% increase.

You lose blinding light, but IMO it's not very good anyway.

My gear is pretty terrible for Inferno, but I'm still tearing through mobs like nobodies business. My resistances suck however, so I can be fairly squishy.

Also, IMO it's integral to have some passive spirit regen somewhere on your gear. Even if it's just +1.
Reply Quote
You don't need 1k dps weps to hit 20k, I use two daggers. Also you might think "Dafuq, he only uses 750 dps 1handers!", dex is important really important and its fairly easy to get high dex on weapons. It gives you dps, armor and dodge. With those weps going from 1305 to 1380 dex gives me almost exactly 1k dps, my main hand dagger with 138 dex and 787 ratio is as good as a 920 dps (roughly) 1hander without it. But it also gives me the armor/dodge so use common sense, don't be slaves to blue weps.

764.2 dps with 138 dex, 123 int, socket (life on hit gem)
787.5 dps with 130 dex, 106 vit

With this http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ahXgYi!XYd!acbZcZ build I roll 20087.41 dps WITHOUT my buffs going 23100.52 with BoH's BW rune, 40780.99 with BoH and Blind running. I can demolish ACT I with it, I can fairly easily farm ACT II. I have not tried to farm ACT III though.

Specifics;
Here are my stats http://imgur.com/Tp6OP ( no buffs on)

Attack speed is vital, your goal should be to use a shield until your geared enough to farm with 2 1handers (daggers preferably). Attack speed of 2.2 + I've noticed gives you really good spirit regeneration (Without any on items). This allows you to spam your mantra and keep using other abilities as they pop.

Now, here is something important this build isn't built as a laser beam to mow down a single foe. Its massive AoE dps, sweeping wind is good, thunderclap is great but backlash is GODLY. Without healing mantra nerf I use the backlash runed evasion mantra alot, it does 88% weapon damage to everything around you EVERY time you dodge. If you've got 10 white mobs around you, then you just run in activate your mantra sit there with 60% dodge and watch them melt just from backlash. Since each of those mobs are attacking fairly fast you'll likely hit 6 or so times in the first melee round to everything around you. For farming its pretty vital imo, mix it with sweeping wind blind and thunderclap and you'll destroy everything in the 3s blind takes and if you don't go ahead and go immune and give yourself 3 more to crush them np.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
You don't need 1k dps weps to hit 20k, I use two daggers. Also you might think "Dafuq, he only uses 750 dps 1handers!", dex is important really important and its fairly easy to get high dex on weapons. It gives you dps, armor and dodge. With those weps going from 1305 to 1380 dex gives me almost exactly 1k dps, my main hand dagger with 138 dex and 787 ratio is as good as a 920 dps (roughly) 1hander without it. But it also gives me the armor/dodge so use common sense, don't be slaves to blue weps.

764.2 dps with 138 dex, 123 int, socket (life on hit gem)
787.5 dps with 130 dex, 106 vit

With this http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ahXgYi!XYd!acbZcZ build I roll 20087.41 dps WITHOUT my buffs going 23100.52 with BoH's BW rune, 40780.99 with BoH and Blind running. I can demolish ACT I with it, I can fairly easily farm ACT II. I have not tried to farm ACT III though.

Specifics;
Here are my stats http://imgur.com/Tp6OP ( no buffs on)

Attack speed is vital, your goal should be to use a shield until your geared enough to farm with 2 1handers (daggers preferably). Attack speed of 2.2 + I've noticed gives you really good spirit regeneration (Without any on items). This allows you to spam your mantra and keep using other abilities as they pop.

Now, here is something important this build isn't built as a laser beam to mow down a single foe. Its massive AoE dps, sweeping wind is good, thunderclap is great but backlash is GODLY. Without healing mantra nerf I use the backlash runed evasion mantra alot, it does 88% weapon damage to everything around you EVERY time you dodge. If you've got 10 white mobs around you, then you just run in activate your mantra sit there with 60% dodge and watch them melt just from backlash. Since each of those mobs are attacking fairly fast you'll likely hit 6 or so times in the first melee round to everything around you. For farming its pretty vital imo, mix it with sweeping wind blind and thunderclap and you'll destroy everything in the 3s blind takes and if you don't go ahead and go immune and give yourself 3 more to crush them np.

This. +100
Reply Quote
Also remember "Increase Attack Speed" items. They can bridge a huge gap if you can't find DEX gear for some reason.
Reply Quote
Honestly even if you LOSE dps, attack speed items are still better due to spirit regeneration and Life on Hit. The stat isn't just for improving dps for monks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]