Diablo® III

Religious beliefs of gamers?

I would think more gamers would have a similar perspective of existance as my own. My beliefs are actually that life is very much like a video game. All we can really say that we are is a being of perception that experiences this fabricated reality that surrounds us. Its a bit like a gamer experiencing the fabricated reality of a video game. While we may not understand exactly what our reality is, it does seem to me as if there is some sort of programming or code making up our reality. But that can only be applied to reality itself, perception cannot be explained in such a way. It is another form of those unanswerable questions, "what existed before the universe?", "what created creation?". Perception cannot be explained or rationalized, it simply is. "I think, therefore I am." In relation to games, it is very similar. The gamer and the game are two totaly seperate things. While we as gamers can understand the game and make rational statements about what makes it work, the game itself has no way of knowing the gamer. Yes, it does recieve input from our keyboards and mice, but in truth, that is just random variables in its programming, just as our actions as humans are really just random events in this universe. In our perception we may view these chaotic events as our own actions with an intent towards a purpose, but in reality they are just more chaotic events. Wow, this went somewhere totally different that where i had intended, kinda just ended up as a random jibber-jabber.
TL;DR Both video games and our reality seem pretty similar, you have a perciever and reality, or a gamer and a program. I believe our universe is really just a computer program of a higher level reality, and any life that can percieve and experience is really just an extension of the concious perspective behind our reality.
Reply Quote
Ok, here is a better sumation of what i was trying to get at, except i dont believe perception can be simulated. Perspective is and always will be, it is the eternal source. But the rest of this is pretty spot on to what i believe. Plus, its always entertaining with Morgan Freeman talking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ucqYJzK1rk&feature=related
Reply Quote
I am atheist, You cant justify a Judeo-Christian monster yahweh living in the sky who seems to be utterly powerless when it comes to protecting the lives of others. All religions basically play out the same way. Just in a different fashion, and christianity allows the justification for the murder of millions of people, with out the mercy of god, yet when you get something good coming your way, who gets credit? Some invisible Deity. Fail.
Reply Quote
I AM GOD! KNEEL BEFORE ME!
GIVE ME ALL THE VERGINS IN THE WORLD(no male ones allowed+faty girls).

AND BRING ME D3 COLLECTORS WINGS !
AND I SHALL GIVE YOU .|. IN RETURN

CHOP CHOP GOD(Golden) AS SPOKEN!
Edited by Golden#2276 on 6/22/2012 1:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
58 Night Elf Mage
- Do you believe there is other dimension where you travel after you die?
When the body dies there is no more 'you'. So no.

- Do you believe that there are higher forces that aren't dependent on this world?
Can you give me an example? I don't know what you mean by higher forces.

- Are you in member of church or any other organization and if you are are you accepting their beliefs or are you there for some other reason?
No.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
1. Define "You" if you will.

- If you mean "me" as in the physical person, then no.
- If you mean "me" as in the mind and soul, sure.

2. I don't see why not. Even when I was a naturalist, I had a hard time accepting this was it, and it was completely illogical to think of anything beyond all this, which is probably why I'm no longer one. I find naturalism to restrict one more than I would like, but to each his own.

3. I may be a Theist, but I don't go to church. If I feel compelled to pray, I pray. If not, I don't. I don't need some guy claiming I need to be righteous, when he's banging the Sunday School Teacher and rolling around in a Bentley.
Reply Quote
I'm here for the sake of interest to ask you dear readers about your beliefs.

Just answer these simple questions:

- Do you believe that there are higher forces that aren't dependent on this world?

- Are you in member of church or any other organization and if you are are you accepting their beliefs or are you there for some other reason?

No

No

No. Used to attend a Church of Christ when I lived in the South as a kid, and may as well be a Mormon given how conservative my personal beliefs are. Have lots of respect for religious people, but can't do faith myself. I need proof.
Reply Quote
I am a muslim and i just don't believe i 100% know. How do i know ?

With my logic i found that there is a superior power, a God which is almighty and created everything. This is very clear if you use your mind and logic. So after i found the existence of God i look around and find the correct message of the God. From that message which is Quran, i learn everything.

It is that simple. First you have to find how did this perfect and insanely complex universe become real, and what kind of power make it run perfectly.

Just think that even the most complex computers are very poor when trying to compose very limited physical effects, and think that this insanely huge galaxy runs without a single problem with these physics rules.

The very big mis conception about these games are that, the heaven are not ruled by angles, the hell is not ruled by demon. Both ruled by Allah and the gate keepers of hells are angels not demons. Demons will burn there not rule there.
Reply Quote
No.

No.

No.
Reply Quote
No
Somewhat, maybe
Yes, I'm Anglican. But I'm only an Anglican cuz my grand-uncle is a former UK House of Lords Legal Advisory staffer...and he's Anglican in a way...my dad followed in his religious steps to connect with him...and I guess it just trickled down to me.
Reply Quote

No.

1.I'm a Buddhist in certain points and it doesn't matter if there is another dimension or not. I believe I will reincarnate netherteless.

2.No.

3. Actually not, I support alot of Buddhist texts and after I have read Bardo Thodol (also known as The Tibetan Book of the Dead) I must say I've went from an atheist more to a Buddhist (and psychedelics helped me understand, but I'm not allowed to talk about that on the forum).
Edited by Bubba046#2911 on 8/5/2012 8:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
No.
Yes.
Yes.
Reply Quote
i believe that when you die, your life begins again but in another time and in another body without any memories of your previous life. OH and i also believe that the song "I believe" by Nikki Yanofsky is too overplayed in Canada during the olympics.
Reply Quote
When I die I'm going to go to hell; my soul will occupy my old WoW character in limbo.

Levity aside, I don't know what happens when your bio-rythmic magnetic resonance dissipates and I don't think anyone else who pretends to know really knows either. I am certain people can believe they know stuff that is wrong and they can still be good people who are wrong.

Likewise I think people who are unconstrained by the fear of a "hell" upon death are capable of doing good things and morally upstanding behavior.

Everything else is speculation.
Reply Quote
06/14/2012 09:34 AMPosted by Genesis
Yet another example of someone misunderstanding the term "atheist". Atheism isn't a belief system. It is the default position, everyone is born an atheist and it requires no faith whatsoever.

No, an atheist strongly believes that there is no god. You need to know what a god is to reject the very idea. No one can prove that god exists, but none can prove it doesn't exist either. To believe one or the other affirmation requires faith.

Someone who has no faith is an agnostic. He claims that religious matters are unknown and unknowable.

As for me like an agnostic I don't know if a god exists, but I'm not really saying that no one does. I just don't really care if god exists or if there is something after death. What I'm interessted in is that people believes in it because it helps to explain how society works, but I don't care wether they're right or not.

06/12/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Holographic
1.) ex nihilo nihil fit + cogito ergo sum = We are, therefore we cannot seize to exist.

Sounds very convenient to me. We came to existence. If existence can commence, why is it that it can't seize ?
You have every right to believe that there is no end to existence, but it is impossible to prove. That's what a belief is.
Edited by Cognus#2405 on 8/11/2012 6:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't believe that any one religion is correct. I'm not religious, but I do believe that there is a God and an afterlife. I doubt that God cares about our religions though. The nature of God and the afterlife are largely unknown, and it isn't productive to think too much about those subjects. As intelligent beings, our focus should be on living full and good lives.
Reply Quote
agnostic

1) idk, idc
2) idk, idc
3) idk, idc

=)
Reply Quote
I believe in Jesus.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]