Diablo® III

Captain Rumford

In Act IV on the last quest as you ascend to the Pinnacle of Heaven, you find the spirit of Captain Rumford yet his death is never explained, does anyone know how and when Captain Rumford died? Thank you!
Reply Quote
88 Human Death Knight
I dont remember that. Captain Rumford dies? Lame.

p.s. the diablo 3 story is bad.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/03/2012 05:04 AMPosted by Glohofosho
In Act IV on the last quest as you ascend to the Pinnacle of Heaven, you find the spirit of Captain Rumford yet his death is never explained, does anyone know how and when Captain Rumford died? Thank you!

He dies in Act 1. I believe before you go on the caravan to Act 2, you can go to the exit of the town and see him dying.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Rumford's body will be on the road, past the front gates, after you return from Wortham.
Reply Quote
06/03/2012 01:55 PMPosted by Egrem
Rumford's body will be on the road, past the front gates, after you return from Wortham.

Also without any explanation why he had to die. No other corpses around him. And we honor him with a mundane "Rest easy, friend". Beyond lame...
Reply Quote
Yeah it's a bit ridiculous how he is just suddenly dead in an area which should already be cleared of the undead. There should at least be a small event or at least a lore book with his last moments.
Reply Quote
i kinda liked the good captain. they should have created an event that explained this death or an option to save him.
Reply Quote
*Kills zombies by throwing jars of spiders at them.*

"I haven't seen anybody fight like that before?"

*Thinking* "You've never seen an idiot before?"
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue

If it works, don't fix it! :P
Reply Quote

hahaha
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Wait..HE DIES!?

I thought the spirit was that guy I fought under Adria's hut.
Reply Quote
I was genuinely confused when I encountered his ghost during my first run through the Silver Spire. Now I gotta confirm myself if his corpse indeed at the gate after we return from Wortham.

06/05/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Merik
I thought the spirit was that guy I fought under Adria's hut.
That was Capt. Daltyn, the previous Captain of the Guard who fell to the undead along with 16 others except for Rumford.
Reply Quote
Are they even the people's actual spirits?

I had the impression that they were illusions sent by the Prime Evil to guilt-trip and demoralise you. The things that they say don't seem to represent what the actual characters' attitudes would have been in death.

That's also why they turn into demons afterwards.
Reply Quote

new Goal in life: Carry Jar of spiders in pocket in case you get mugged and scream "Poison spider Jar attack!" while throwing it.

My gravestone should have "OMFG buff Spiders" engraved upon it.

If by some chance i survive and the police question me about what the hell i was doing, repeatedly claim to have a permit to throw spiders at people, making reference to the guy who works for the guy in the office at the court house.
Edited by aleksandor#1289 on 6/5/2012 7:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I figured magdah and her groupies killed him when they came for Cain.
Reply Quote
Woh.. I never noticed this... (and i would't have if i didn't walk towards the old ruins to check it out for myself...) It's kinda sad that nobody in town referenced to his death... we had everybody talking about Cain and nobody talking about the captain of the militia responsible for keeping them alive...
Reply Quote
Yeah, seeing him just dead was very lame.

Also, why does one appear as MAGDA? Why should we care about her? And the things she says are completely idiotic.
Reply Quote
I agree with Magda being there. I suppose the goal is that she was being used as a pawn by Belial all along, but she killed Cain so that makes me not feel guilty at all.

Leoric would have been a better fit, IMO.
Reply Quote
It's actually not lame. It's a nice touch.

If after Cain dies you pass by the two guards who previously had talked about rations and recruiting, there is now an exchange where the one guy starts to speak and the other one interrupts with something like, "You don't have to say it, you were right about getting new recruits. If we had listened to you he might still be alive." This makes it pretty clear that there was at least an attempt to fight off Magda.

I say it's a nice touch because I like that he is completely forgotten, just another casualty in a much bigger story. When I finally noticed him gone on my umpteenth playthrough I even felt a little guilty for not having noticed.
Reply Quote

I laughed so hard I drooled.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]