Diablo® III

Captain Rumford

Maghda: "All I wanted to do was serve Belial and murder people! Was that so wrong?"
Reply Quote
Interesting to note:

After killing the champion pack berserkers, I went to talk to the priest. Before going inside to find the missing sword piece, I went back to town. When I came back, Rumford eerily walked backwards into the Slaughtered Calf Inn.

So I've come up with 2 conclusions:
-Maghda and the Dark Cultists killed him as he tried to defend Cain
-He drowned himself in booze over his grievance of Captain Daltyn
Reply Quote
Damn, I like Captain Rumford he reminded me of Agent Phil from Avengers. Not a powerful guy, just doing his job. I was also disappointed there wasn't an achievement for listening to his conversations. He was definitely one of the better characters in the game.
Reply Quote
07/09/2012 09:44 PMPosted by casualhobos
Damn, I like Captain Rumford he reminded me of Agent Phil from Avengers. Not a powerful guy, just doing his job. I was also disappointed there wasn't an achievement for listening to his conversations. He was definitely one of the better characters in the game.

Seems like the less over-the-top and better-defined chars are much more likeable lol. He's a simple man just trying to do his job.

Shame he died :(
Reply Quote
I have still never found his body. Not that I have looked very hard. I notice is disappears after Magda kills Cain, but I have checked out side the gates a couple of times, and never noticed him. Not saying he isn't there, just that they made it very easy to miss that he is dead.
Reply Quote
Would be nice if someone posted pic of his body, cause I have no idea where it is.
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 05:21 AMPosted by einexile
If after Cain dies you pass by the two guards who previously had talked about rations and recruiting, there is now an exchange where the one guy starts to speak and the other one interrupts with something like, "You don't have to say it, you were right about getting new recruits. If we had listened to you he might still be alive." This makes it pretty clear that there was at least an attempt to fight off Magda.

Actually, they're speaking about Cain, in spanish it says: "If we had more militia, Cain would be still alive"
Reply Quote
he should be killed by Maghda
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 05:21 AMPosted by einexile
When I finally noticed him gone on my umpteenth playthrough I even felt a little guilty for not having noticed.

Just wait until you start thinking about all the guards on the Skycrown Battlements you've killed by just walking up to them, triggering the attention of hungry helldivers. Recruits who would've lived had you not just been looking for loot and hoping you'd find a mob, a barrel, or an undefended chest.

The horror . . .
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure he's killed because the cultists stormed the gate.
Reply Quote
I joined a game with one other player who asked if I minded if he went for a smoke break. While I was waiting, I went exploring down the Old Tristum Road and found Captian Rumford's body at the bridge. No monster bodies... No sign of a fight... I asked in game and out, but no one realized that Captian Rumford dies in Act I. I noticed when Captian Rumford left the town square. I do not remember seeing Captian Rumford die or even a notice. As far as the demons in the silver spire, well their demons... You expect them to lie. Very interesting, a possible expansion side story.
Reply Quote
His body is by the bridge on the Old Road. If he was killed by the cultist, wouldn't he be in New Tristin?
Reply Quote
I think I fought a zombified Cpt Rumford in A3 Keeps.
Reply Quote
heart attack
Reply Quote
this magical npc death happens in A3 as well. Marta and her husband and the mayor (the ones i noticed) just die for some reason. I can't recall if its actually in A3 or if its during A4 but they all die well after you secure the keep and kill azmodan.

I think most people miss that rumford died becuase they just saw cain get murdered by butterflies and are still in shock.
Reply Quote
Wish that he did not died.

:(
Reply Quote
yeah, i found him on the wooden bridge near the town's gates after we return from wortham. maybe the coven found him and killed him on their way to cain's house (lol, just sayin)
Reply Quote
09/17/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Vrkhyz
When I finally noticed him gone on my umpteenth playthrough I even felt a little guilty for not having noticed.

Just wait until you start thinking about all the guards on the Skycrown Battlements you've killed by just walking up to them, triggering the attention of hungry helldivers. Recruits who would've lived had you not just been looking for loot and hoping you'd find a mob, a barrel, or an undefended chest.

The horror . . .

LOLOLOL
Reply Quote
did they ever explain how wirt dies? did you guys even play diablo before d3? cmon now.... they dont explain anything ever
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]