Diablo® III

crit damage build vs crit chance + AS build

85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Which one would you consider is better overall accounting every possible situation and boss fights and all that.

1. Crit damage build with sharpshooter and slow attack speed or
2. Crit chance build without sharpshooter and fast attack speed or
3. something else?

I'm kinda getting bored of my demon hunter's crit damage build and i used to love the speed that my demon hunter had back in hell before lvl 60 but i'm trying to find a definite path to go down and not have to worry about the other path that i didn't.
Reply Quote
forums moving fast
Reply Quote
I am currently in same situation as you.
So far i've tried Crit dmg build with Cluster and NT aswell.

Not really sure what i wanna build, atm i am looking into a build with IAS + Crit Chance.
With the 80% Caltrops you can get quiet a few shots off. Just not sure if it's an increase or a decrease in overall dps.

Would love a brainiac answer or some math here guys :)
Reply Quote
I'm still farming Act 1 Inferno, and the +%crit damage/Sharpshooter/2H Crossbow seems the best choice for the undergeared beginning to farm. I may change my mind if I obtain two good 1-handers, but I have horrible luck and are relying heavily on the AH to gear up, therefore I've put more money into good +resist gear to help my survivability so that I can reliably farm Champs and Elites for more cash. +%Crit damage seems easier to come by, and my kiting style involves dragging mobs over Long Fuse traps...this relies a lot on the high chance for those traps to crit thanks to Sharpshooter, and the additional crit damage means I get three 150k damage hits on mobs with each clump of traps (while spamming Hungering Arrow/Piercing from the edge of the screen :3)

Since weapon DPs seems to be the biggest determinant of damage done, it's probably best to look at whether or not the highest-end 1H combos net as much DPS as a 2H+quiver, before considering other modifiers.

I'm kinda getting bored of my demon hunter's crit damage build and i used to love the speed that my demon hunter had back in hell before lvl 60 but i'm trying to find a definite path to go down and not have to worry about the other path that i didn't.

It's not like you have to remake the character...you just farm up more gold to try out the other set, and weigh them both. I wouldn't worry so much about time wasted on gathering another gear set...this game doesn't really seem like a race to the finish, to me. 'Progression' relies on how quickly you can obtain the gear you need to survive encounters, and that's luck-based with an upper limit on how much time you have to play in the first place. I'm happy !%!*ing around in Act 1 Inferno for gold to fine-tune my gear. It was hard at first but now that I've replaced a few pieces it's ridiculously easy to farm if you can stomach the monotony.

What's your goal? I think that the things you plan to do later in the game would also have a big impact on what kind of playstyle and thus gear set would best suit it.
Edited by Mieu#1716 on 6/3/2012 7:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well, going for anything, sharpshooter is kinda garbage. It guarantees one crit occasionally, and with all the numbers you should be seeing, you should often be critting at least once every second.

The thing is that itemization on equipment isn't too flexible. This is what I would suggest.

Get crit on bracers.
Get crit on helmet.
Get crit on quiver.
Get crit, as%, and critdmg% on gloves (this can get spendy especially if you toss in dex, vit in there)

--

Rings/amulet can get crit, as%, and critdmg% also, but I personally don't have the money to really get one of those. So, of the three, I would go for one or maybe 2 there. As long as you've got crit from the above pieces, I would value as% > crit dmg% > crit% for rings/ammy.
Reply Quote
I'm at the end of hell right now and I fell in love with crit damage/sharpshooter. My spike traps (long fuse) are critting elites for 100k (each) and I only have a 380 damage xbow. I prefer huge spikes once in a while to constant high DPS. In inferno I won't have time to stop and DPS for long enough to make the best out of high attack speeds @ low crit/crit damage. It feels like the crit damage/SS build is better suited for kiting.
Reply Quote
Sustained reliable dps is usually what mmos always favor in terms of pve and pvp. From a "fun" stand point high crit dmg and a 2 hand crossbow easily wins. Who doesn't like to see huge numbers? Its personal play style really. I like to run and gun, but also use Torturous Ground on traps and have some nice opportunities to stand still and straight dps. There are a lot of people on these forums that are clearly obsessed with high paperdoll numbers, so naturally they favor a 2h crossbow and high crit dmg which falsely inflates your dps meter due to sharpshooter.

I know I am COMPLETELY speculating, but when pvp comes out I have a strong feeling that everyone will be using bows with IAS and high increased base damage % which does not show up on the paperdoll. (steady aim, archery, cull of the weak 20% 15% 15% )

Sustained, reliable, high dps VS. Spikey, slow, very high dps. Your choice.
Edited by Released#1403 on 6/3/2012 9:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Idk, i like the ss build but considering i play wow and all that i'm used to sustained dps instead. The spiky, slow very high dps works in situations where you run around a lot and don't have much time to attack i guess, and the speedy sustained one works best if the mob isn't moving is what i'd say.
Reply Quote
Sustained reliable dps is usually what mmos always favor in terms of pve and pvp. From a "fun" stand point high crit dmg and a 2 hand crossbow easily wins. Who doesn't like to see huge numbers? Its personal play style really. I like to run and gun, but also use Torturous Ground on traps and have some nice opportunities to stand still and straight dps. There are a lot of people on these forums that are clearly obsessed with high paperdoll numbers, so naturally they favor a 2h crossbow and high crit dmg which falsely inflates your dps meter due to sharpshooter.

I know I am COMPLETELY speculating, but when pvp comes out I have a strong feeling that everyone will be using bows with IAS and high increased base damage % which does not show up on the paperdoll. (steady aim, archery, cull of the weak 20% 15% 15% )

One of the best comments I've read so far... /agree
Reply Quote

Steady Aim and Archery both show up on your char sheet.

When pvp comes out it will be like all other games, favoring front loaded spiky big dps in 1 hit.

I would argue that IAS artificially inflates your DPS, because it generally requires standing and turreting to take advantage of it. Yet you are unable to do that most of the time.
Reply Quote
I built my DH for crit chance and attack speed. I get in 3 attacks per second with a 35% crit chance, so I'm statistically always getting a crit in every second. The only crit damage I have is from my crossbow gem (and from archery). That's the build I would recommend :)

Obviously I don't use sharpshooter. When you are sufficiently geared it's not worth it.
Edited by nxmehta#1150 on 6/7/2012 7:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
well i wouldnt decide on a buid yet till they decide how much there going to reduce our ias
Reply Quote
06/03/2012 09:02 AMPosted by Released
Sustained reliable dps is usually what mmos always favor in terms of pve and pvp.

This is absolutely false, burst damage has always been king in PVP. As for the question, I prefer attack speed because of the mobility and the fact that big numbers just aren't doing it for me like they were ten years ago.
Reply Quote
06/03/2012 09:02 AMPosted by Released
Sustained reliable dps is usually what mmos always favor in terms of pve and pvp.

Ever backstabbed anyone before?
Reply Quote
Alright...whoever thinks SS is useless is stupid...you say you want crit chance but you want to get rid of a regenerating crit chance...you are stupid...you want as much crit chance as possible which includes having it on all gear possible and having SS on...you also want as much dex, crit damage, and a fair ammount of attack speed and movement speed worked into your gear too...you are also gonna want atleast 500 resist all and at least 35k health...I use hungering arrow/devouring arrow and elemental/tentacles (some people use the ball lightning, w/e they are pretty equal) you are gonna want to use steady aim, archery, and sharpshooter as your passives...smokescreen (rune is up to preference), preporation/battle scars (60% heal and full discipline), shadow power/gloom (15% life leach and 35% reduced damage taken), and marked for death (rune is preference, I use contagion) as your number spells. And your prolly gonna want to try to stop sucking...cuz if you want to be lazy you should have made a barb...DH have to move alot...and there is no cheap way out...unless you want to farm inferno mp0 you need to start saving money for top notch gear...its hard to take baby steps and keep feeding this economy because every month our gear is worth half as much if it isn't top notch...hope I don't piss anyone off but...that's my input...and don't comment on my DH cuz its still got a ways to go...I know
Reply Quote
actually...my DH would prolly own all of yours...
Reply Quote
R u trolling or this for real? Sharpshooter is useless once you got your CC higher.
Reply Quote
lol JAB trolls a 5 month old thread....Dude is playing like it's still July.....NT, SS build.
Reply Quote
I think jab is serious. Look at his profile. He is really using nt ss combo.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]