Diablo® III

Does Anyone use Cleave in Inferno?

I run with both Frenzy and Cleave (both with extra damage runes). The frenzy bonuses don't just improve the speed of Frenzy, but of all attacks including Cleave. So I Frenzy to start with and then Cleave a few times (depending on my current attack speed; currently very high) and frenzy once to keep the buff. A quick WotB, Frenzy and Cleave on a rare pack can kill the minions super fast, then the boss can be taken out safely by itself.

It seems everyone swears by Frenzy + Sidearm. I find that it is incredibly slow at killing a group, the bigger the group the slower it is to use Frenzy instead of Cleave. Even with 2 targets there is a question as to whether Frenzy is faster. Not to mention the extra targets seem to outweigh the penalty for life restore on AoE attacks so you're missing out on some serious life leech with 3 or more targets for sure.

Granted I am only in Act I inferno, but my gear is pretty crappy. My resistances are very low and damage is only about 10k. Defense with buffs is maybe 10k. Life is 22k. My life on hit is about 600 though. There is a lot of room for upgrading if I hit the wall in Act II (which I certainly will with this gear).

Cleave is beautiful on shielding mobs btw. You're almost always hitting at least one of them (hitting zero can get fatal really quick when your life restore goes to zero along with it).

This is my build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bWPVUk!VbS!YcZcbc

I find ignore pain is too short with too long of a cooldown to be worth a slot. So that is the "obvious" skill I am foregoing for Cleave. If the only way I can survive at all is during the 5 seconds ignore pain is active, then I'm just not going to play a Barbarian.

After reading the forum today, the only change I would make for now is changing Sprint - Marathon to Sprint - Run Like the Wind for extra life leech when running away.

Boon of BK is a luxury only because my life is to low to make much use of Relentless. I will probably swap later.

So am I dead meat in Act II? Any ideas for improvements?
Reply Quote
I only use cleave (+slow rune) for group play. Otherwise, stick to frenzy + sidearm.

Another benefit of frenzy on mobs is you can take their damage out one by one (with damage from sidearm along the way). This allows you to survive better in the middle of packs. Trust me, I swore by cleave all the way through hell, but Frenzy is where it's at for solo play in inferno.
Reply Quote
I didn't know you could run with two primary abilities... I will definitely have to try that.

I started using WW and then shockwave later on, but found that it wasn't very cohesive with stacks of frenzy. Right now I am getting near the end of A1 on Hell, having to regear again via AH so I might have to try that with farming.
Reply Quote
I would love to be able to fit both Frenzy AND Cleave on my mouse, but frankly so many skills become mandatory to clear act 2 and act 3 that it just isn't realistic
Reply Quote
I didn't know you could run with two primary abilities... I will definitely have to try that.

I started using WW and then shockwave later on, but found that it wasn't very cohesive with stacks of frenzy. Right now I am getting near the end of A1 on Hell, having to regear again via AH so I might have to try that with farming.

If you are still in Hell and have a decent weapon try Furious Charge + MA rune. It's amazing AoE.
Reply Quote
woh, nv thought of using both primary skill at the same time, awesome
Reply Quote
Oh, maybe Frenzy doesn't increase Cleave attack speed. The damage boost (for the highest rune) definitely affects cleave though. That shows up on the character sheet.

My cleave sure feels quicker, but then my attack speed is very high naturally so maybe I'm imagining that part. Not imagining the damage boost though.
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 09:14 AMPosted by Merc
I would love to be able to fit both Frenzy AND Cleave on my mouse, but frankly so many skills become mandatory to clear act 2 and act 3 that it just isn't realistic

Ah, that's not a problem for me because I'm using a 360 controller (need a 3rd party joytokey program to make it work). I get really bad carpal tunnel if I use a mouse for long enough to play any PC games. Anyway, so that gives me 4 action buttons instead of 2. I only need 3 for this build (Frenzy on X, cleave on A, Revenge on Y, Sprint on R bumper, War Cry on R shoulder, WotB on B).
Reply Quote
frenzy stacks do not speed up anything other then frenzy.

the tooltip states "Frenzy attack speed increase's with every swing"
not "attack speed increses with every swing"

This.
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Rize

Ah, that's not a problem for me because I'm using a 360 controller (need a 3rd party joytokey program to make it work). I get really bad carpal tunnel if I use a mouse for long enough to play any PC games. Anyway, so that gives me 4 action buttons instead of 2. I only need 3 for this build (Frenzy on X, cleave on A, Revenge on Y, Sprint on R bumper, War Cry on R shoulder, WotB on B).

Wow, how do you move in game? Use analog stick as a mouse? That'd be slow tho :\
Reply Quote
I farm belial on inferno with Cleave + Broad sweep. The constant moving makes frenzy annoying as u cant keep the stacks up
Reply Quote
I use cleave with the exploding rune with a 1200 dps 2hander and i wreck !@#$ in inferno. I like it a lot better than frenzy for 2 hander. I also dropped whirlwind and just stick to slam with crackling rift rune.
Reply Quote
I have my left analog set to a super fast mouse movement (75 of 100 in joy2key terms). It's a little too fast and imprecise for inventory management but works fine for combat if you are careful and use the shift button to direct AoE attacks. Any skills that require extreme precision would definitely suffer, so I just avoid them for different builds

It's either that or I don't play. There is no way I can use a mouse anymore. D2 ruined my hand.

EDIT:

Oh, and I have the right stick set to slow mouse (30%) mostly for inventory management. I have down on the d-pad set to zoom mostly for kicks but every now and then I use it to help target those tiny fast enemies when they spawn as rare bosses (just use cleave to take out the minions, but need to frenzy the rares).
Edited by Rize#1111 on 6/6/2012 9:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i found that cleave with the knock back rune was much more effective for act 2 forward. Also you say that ignore pain isnt a good enough cd for you. well wait until act 2 where you can pretty much only engage mobs with ignore pain active other wise you are dead,
Reply Quote
In general my personal rule is

fast weapons: sidearm
slow weapons: cleave
Reply Quote
I have my left analog set to a super fast mouse movement (75 of 100 in joy2key terms). It's a little too fast and imprecise for inventory management but works fine for combat if you are careful and use the shift button to direct AoE attacks. Any skills that require extreme precision would definitely suffer, so I just avoid them for different builds

It's either that or I don't play. There is no way I can use a mouse anymore. D2 ruined my hand.

EDIT:

Oh, and I have the right stick set to slow mouse (30%) mostly for inventory management. I have down on the d-pad set to zoom mostly for kicks but every now and then I use it to help target those tiny fast enemies when they spawn as rare bosses (just use cleave to take out the minions, but need to frenzy the rares).

Wow, that's pretty hardcore. I can never play computer games using joystick.
Reply Quote
Cleave + Broad Sweep (damage increase) is very viable in Inferno, particularly for those using a 2H or other slow weapon. It scales much worse with Life On Hit than Frenzy, though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]