Diablo® III

Warning: Do not craft weapons

Up until today I had avoided using the Artisan as much as possible. I never had the cash flow to level and support it and everything I wanted to get I obtained on the AH. I luckily came into 15 million gold after selling a great dagger, so I thought now would be an amazing time to start generating some revenue from my Artisan. I was wrong and here is how I came to that conclusion:

I began my crafting spree by purchasing all of the pages and tomes needed to level the Artisan to 10. This was very cheap and only cost me about 30k to find everything I needed. I then spent the ~1 million on leveling the artisan. I purchased the best bow pattern for a few mil which seemed insignificant for a 6 stat level 60 rare bow pattern. The price of leveling wasn't a big deal and neither was the pattern. The problem was the quality of the items and the material requirements.

To craft the bow it takes 171k gold, 58 Exquisite Essences, 11 Iridescent Tears, and 17 Tome of Secrets. Again, I shrugged at the cost when I considered the potential items and I had stockpiled 600 essences, 300 tears, and ~2000 tomes. I then crafted 6 bows which totals 1m gold, 348 essences, 66 tomes and 102 tomes. The result? 6 bows that were 500-650 DPS. Needless to say I'd have trouble even giving away that kind of a bow, let alone selling it for any amount.

I checked out the AH and to even come CLOSE to breaking even on a bow it would have to roll ~950 DPS or higher. The risk vs. reward is so out of wack that I can't even believe a crafting system like this exists. What should have happened is rather than announcing a fix to the Artisan it should have been disabled entirely. In the end I wasted roughly 1 million leveling the Artisan and another 1.5-2.5m in raw crafting materials.

Moral of the story is don't craft weapons because the return on it is beyond terrible.
Reply Quote
Sadly, I've had similar experiences. I have much better luck with armor, but weapons seem to be terribly underpowered compared to ones that drop off every champ/boss.
Reply Quote
Im crafting bows and doing fine so far. Already had a few 770-880s prop.
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 12:30 PMPosted by DFM

770-880DPS sells for like 15k gold if that. I don't know how not coming remotely close to breaking even is "fine".
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 12:41 PMPosted by F8L

770-880DPS sells for like 15k gold if that. I don't know how not coming remotely close to breaking even is "fine".

Your thinking of crossbows not bows. Bows have lower dps in general.
Reply Quote
I posted this in the Trading forum by accident but I meant to post it here.
I had a very similar experience.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5578591527
I just tried creating 7 Exalted Grand Sagaris (Two-Handed Axe) +6 properties.

Cost:
171,000 gold,
58 exquisite essence (58,000 gold at market rate)
10 iridescent tear (20,000 gold at market rate)
17 tomes of secret (11,000 gold at market rate)

This means each axe cost 260,000 gold to craft.

All seven were under 725 DPS. This makes me wonder if the ilvl of the crafted weapons is never over 60 or 61.

If they can't be crafted with high +damage bonuses, it is literally worthless to create them.

So my question is, has anyone crafted a > 1000 dps 2h or > 800 dps 1h with a blacksmith plan?

My guess is that the ilvl of crafted items is 60, and that they are unable to get the major +damage bonuses, in the same way that Inferno Act I will never drop high damage weapons due to ilvl.

If so, it is a huge oversight on Blizzard's part and crafting 2h weapons is 100% worthless, perhaps an 800dps 1h would be profitable with good stats, but never a 2h.

That said, it is possible that we were simply unlucky. I won't be throwing away 250,000 gold on any more axes though.
Edited by teprac#1590 on 6/1/2012 12:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah just messed with some weapons myself, they really do not seem worth while compared to what drops. Armors on the other hand have been fun. At least not a complete waste of time.
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Futon
Yeah just messed with some weapons myself, they really do not seem worth while compared to what drops. Armors on the other hand have been fun. At least not a complete waste of time.

I've had at least mediocre results from having my friend make the chest pieces, which is one of the main reasons I was inspired to get into crafting. One in ten or so chest pieces he makes is very nice which makes him break even or turn a profit.

There's just no excuse for how terrible these items are and it's not like Blizzard will ever reimburse people for this stuff. Disable certain patterns or hotfix them before billions of gold is wasted on horrendous gear.
Reply Quote
thx for the post, was very confused on whether to lvl up BS but now I'll go on to JC
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 03:56 PMPosted by Siva
thx for the post, was very confused on whether to lvl up BS but now I'll go on to JC

Glad I could help.

For some reason armor can still turn out really great, but weapons are atrocious. For good measure I rafted 5 more and they were even worse than the previous 6 I had made. They had very high stat values (one of the bows had 250 vit/int...yes int...on a bow....), but the damage is so bad that it hardly even matters what kind of stat rolls it gets.
Reply Quote
You know...some people refuse to use AH, like me, the BS an JC is for those people.
I'm currently in act 1 inferno on my wizard and monk, I've NEVER bought anything in the AH because for me it defeats the purpose of the game. If I have to play act 1 over and over again for weeks to progress, so be it. In 100h(including lvl 50 NM hardcore wiz) I've found 4 legendaries, 1 armor, 1 staff, 1 ring(a really good ring in act 1 inf) and 1 belt(which I sold). Every piece of gold I find or earn on the AH goes towards my BS and I spent millions on it but it gave me a few good upgrades, so I do find it worthwhile.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Spend some time crafting half a dozen grand oni blades (6 properties), all of them were less than 650 dps. Complete waste of a million and a half
Reply Quote
I am just hoarding gold and waiting for the crafting overhaul in 1.0.3. My blacksmith is sitting there at the beginning of level 3 and my jeweler hasn't even been clicked on. Just get everything off the AH until the crafting has been fixed.
Reply Quote
OP, I cannot even believe you had the time to figure that out.
Reply Quote
also tried it today, bought grand galraki recipie for 2m and spent a few other million on crafting that !@#$.

only got like 600dps weaps out of it. +Damage stats never rolled over 400 for me. Ill never ever craft a single weapon again, avoid at all cost....

Nice profession this blacksmithing... no one will ever craft random a weapon which never rolls high on dps when you can get 900dps for almost nothing on the AH....

game gets better every day, time to return to d2 soon...
Reply Quote
Blizzard should see this post.
Please bump.

Or do they just want us to spend our gold so we buy more with real $$$ in the RMAH?
Reply Quote
You know...some people refuse to use AH, like me, the BS an JC is for those people.
I'm currently in act 1 inferno on my wizard and monk, I've NEVER bought anything in the AH because for me it defeats the purpose of the game. If I have to play act 1 over and over again for weeks to progress, so be it. In 100h(including lvl 50 NM hardcore wiz) I've found 4 legendaries, 1 armor, 1 staff, 1 ring(a really good ring in act 1 inf) and 1 belt(which I sold). Every piece of gold I find or earn on the AH goes towards my BS and I spent millions on it but it gave me a few good upgrades, so I do find it worthwhile.

This is why the blacksmith and jeweler exist, cause the base concept of Diablo is to make / find your own gear. But once they took that base concept and added an AH on top of it, these artisans became obsolete. I would like to see them buffed and have the cost reduced so that I can get some better stuff off them cause like this guy I dont see the point buying everyhting off the AH.

Oh and also, 5,6,7 million gold who cares, its gold in a fake game, not real money you can make that back simply by farming a few days so dont worry so much
Reply Quote
I stopped training the blacksmith early on. I'm glad I did that, lol. Lots of people were talking about how terrible the items were. It's a shame. I was looking forward to crafting items. And we should be able to craft amulets and rings. Even the gems are not worth it :( .
Reply Quote
similar experiences. wasted 10m on artisans for nothing =(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]