Diablo® III

Would like to buy a new Video Card Help Plox!

90 Worgen Hunter
I've got an AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor, 2200 MHZ 6 GB Ram.

My Video Card is a Radeon 4890. I'm not sure what wattage my power supply is, It's been a long time since I bought it.

I obviously know very little about this sort of stuff, but on WoW I would normally get 60 FPS standing still, in a raid I'd get around 20-30 in combat for 10 mans, but 25 mans were a joke. It was a struggle.

In Diablo 3 on the LOWEST possible settings, the frames are just above frozen.. :(
Single Player is better than Co-op, but not always. The game is very difficult for me to progress through when I have such a huge delay on my abilities / potions etc.

I bought my card 2-3 years ago and at the time it was decent. I've got about $150 - $250 to spend on a card / power supply if need be.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.
Edited by MachoNacho#1655 on 6/3/2012 3:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Currently looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129230

VisionTek - AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card

Any thoughts? How much better would this card be, and would it run D3 smooth on the highest settings?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
The 4890 is still more than sufficient to run D3 on the highest settings (or close to it). Yes, it is a bit old...but it is still quite good. The 7850 IS an upgrade, just by virtue of being 3 generations newer. It's not a massively enourmous upgrade, but it's definitely a decent upgrade. I'd say it's in the neighborhood of 20% faster than the 4890. The 7850 is a 130 watt card also, while the 4890 is a 190 watt card...so if your power supply can run a 4890 it can definitely run a 7850.

If you're having problems with D3 freezing, there is something else going on. Because the 4890 is more than capable of running it at (or at least near) highest settings. I used to use a 4870, which was given to one of my guildmates after I upgraded...and it runs D3 smoothly on high settings. The 4890 is basically just a higher clocked 4870.
Edited by Saerydoth#1867 on 6/3/2012 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Alright so what else could be the issue? I just took my computer apart and gave it a good cleaning and that didn't do the trick either. I don't mind completely wiping my computer, there's really not much on it and nothing important anyways, I just use it to game now.
Reply Quote
Does your mobo have an onboard graphics card?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
I don't know what that means, sorry. haha

motherboard have an onboard graphics card I think? I have no idea.

The graphics card that came with the computer sucked so I took it out and put in the Radeon 4890 years ago.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Are your drivers updated? Could there be dust in the video card's heatsink? Go into the catalyst control center and see what kind of temperature it's running at, etc. Absolute first thing is to make sure your drivers are updated though.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Okay I went there and updated my Catalyst Control Center, I assume that auto-updated my drivers because every time I go to search for the right series it sends me to the CCC thing. So I've downloaded that, opened it up, and it's at 53 - 54 C.
Does the device manager / update drivers thing now work accurately? Every time I try to update my drivers through that it says they're already the best they can be.

Yes it is extremely possible that there is dust in the heatsink, I'm not sure what the heatsink is, but I would bet there's dust in it. I just cleaned my computer and you wouldn't believe the things I found in there. I was half expecting to find a turkey sandwich. Really though, it looks a million times better and it's running very quietly but I know I can't get everything out.

Still the performance of my frames is horrible. :(

Oh by the way, in the Overdrive section I can slide the bars around for what I assume is overclocking? Would it be beneficial to slide the bars up for higher performance or could it do damage to anything?

It says High Performance GPU Clock Settings: 850 MHz
(Goes to 1000)

High Performance Memory Clock Settings: 975 MHz
(Goes to 1200)

and then Enable Manual Fan Control is greyed out.

My fan speed is 0% right now.

When I tab out of Diablo3 it goes 33% - 55% - 0%.

I do see some improvement after downloading CCC + cleaning out my computer now, it was really bad after loading at first but it does seem to be a bit better. As far as the in-game FPS slider goes, should I have foreground on max? And should I use vertical sync?

Also what about my resolution? I've got a 24" monitor, I'm running at 1680x1050 Resolution. It says it can greatly effect performance, should I lower the resolution?
Edited by MachoNacho#1655 on 6/3/2012 6:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Temperatures and fan speeds seem fine. I would uncheck the foreground fps cap entirely and just turn vsync on.

You may want to turn physics down and possibly shadows. Both of those are more dependent on the cpu rather than the gpu, and yours is older.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Alrighty. Yeah all of these problems i've been having are with my settings completely at the lowest possible setting or turned off completely. Low fx, shadows off, lowest everything else. I can try vsync on with the fps sliders off completely. it seems like when i play my witchdoctor co op it runs a lot smoother, but if i switch to my barbarian my frames are so ridiculously low its unplayable. Any thoughts on this? Also, would completely wiping everything off of my computer and only reinstalling d3 + necessary things help any? Maybe its a different problem besides hardware, i dont know.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I would make absolutely sure you completely remove all traces of your video drivers and do a clean install of the latest version (Catalyst 12.4 is the latest). I would also NOT install the Catalyst Application Profiles. Those things have given me nothing but headaches on my HD7950.

Also make sure other things like motherboard drivers are updated. I have a guild mate that I gave my old computer parts to when I upgraded...slower than yours in every respect. Athlon 64 x2 5000+, HD4870 video card, 4 gigs of DDR2 RAM. It won't run everything on max settings (she has to turn physics down and shadows down one notch), but it is perfectly playable with everything but those two settings on high. Your system is definitely a step above that one too, so it should be running a lot better.

You may want to check out your CPU temperature too, make sure it isn't overheating. I doubt it...from what you've described above I'm not inclined to think it's a heat issue. It sounds much more likely to be a driver problem from what I've heard.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Alright, well I really appreciate all of the info you've given me. I don't know how to update all of that stuff honestly, I'm pretty much a dummy when it comes to computers. I can look it up on google for sure but I'm concerned about those people that post wrong info and I wouldn't want to make any problems worse.
Reply Quote
Your card should be more than good for D3. I've read all the suggestions the other guy recommended, and if you did all of that, your video card MIGHT just be getting old and fried. If not that, maybe your power supply is too weak to handle it, your CPU is getting old and is also killing the performance of your GPU since it can't keep up. There are so many reasons this might happen.

I mean, if you're getting those FPS in WoW, there's definitely a problem. Make sure that you're not actually using an on-board graphics card and that your computer is actually switched over to your 4890. Honestly, it might not even be installed correctly. Open up your computer and check if everything's plugged in and all. What's your motherboard?

Edit: Not sure if WoW was acting up like that ever since you got the computer/video card, but if you didn't buy the computer whole, from say Newegg, and had someone build a brand new computer, or just simply install the video card, the GPU might have come DoA (dead on arrival). It's possible that some video cards simply come with problems and need to be exchanged. If that's the case, your warranty's more than likely up, unless you had a very long or lifetime one. If so, and it might be but you just didn't realize it, you'll need to buy a new video card.
Edited by Hong#1270 on 6/5/2012 11:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I had a powercolor 4890 with ref cooler (sucks so hard, runs up to 90c)

That card was a monster still two years ago. I upgraded later to a gtx580 asus, then downgraded to a gtx460 hawk. As I doubt theres warranty on the card id say the cards shader dead or something hard to say...

Best bet is buy new now, have someone you know (that knows computers well enough) to tell you if its working as intended etc and register warranty, and then keep that information safe.

As far as cards to purchase, it depends on your monitor as well :P The 4890 was a powerhog, it ate up a supply quick. Unless your using more than one gpu, 600 to 750 watts should be sufficient. if it came with your case, youll need to supgrade probably cause those things blow as proxy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162085

thats a good bet right there though.
Reply Quote
I got a medium level card (Geforce 550 Ti) Which is about 108 euro newprice. It runs diablo on high very smoothly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]