Diablo® III

Diablo 3 Add-Ons and Tools

85 Worgen Warlock
Ownership is always a mis-understood idea when it comes to Blizzards MMO games. None of us "Own" the game. We may possess the box it came in, the manual, the actual DvD that its installed with, but all we really have is a license to play the game that Blizzard "Owns". Its all in the Eula and such..... You know that part that we all just scroll down to get the "Accept" button to light up, and we never actually read. Its all in there. Sorry to break it to ya.....
Edited by rymzsahc#1931 on 7/11/2012 2:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Ok, I haven't read every person, and the hell I will, But Blizz doesn't want addons. I too wish that I could get something to just screw around with (Being a Roleplayer).

But the truth is that legally, when you buy a game, you only buy the rights to use that game and the people who do own the game (Blizzard in this case) Can control how many rights you have.

I understand why they don't want modifications to their glorious game.
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Chickenneck
Software does not work the same as your car. You do not own the software. You purchase the right to use that software. I am not disagreeing with you, but your analogy of software to a car/big mac is not quite true. You cant put a stereo in your rental car!!

Personally i think that's bs, in a game like wow that works because it needs to be a multiplayer game but d3 doesn't NEED to be online, you should be able to play no matter what, if you violate any of their rules, then they can just ban you (temporarily or otherwise) from selling or trading items, problem solved. i can understand the whole "rental car" thing when your talking about online game-play, but im sure their are some people who would be happy to install addons and have nothing to do with the ah......

Or maybe bliz could just decide to put some effort into determining which addons they can and cant allow, or hell, even better would be if they just built in the features that players seem to universally want from an addon (yeha, right. I only started with the above bit because i know they'll never integrate it, and they'll probably never risk disturbing their precious real money ah with big bad third party software)

Edit for clarification: im saying, basically, that the "license to play" bit, while understandable in mmo games, is complete and total nonsense with games that dont need to have internet access in the first place and D3 really doesn't require it (aside from trades and auctions, which are really so damn overpriced atm that theirs no point)
Edited by fredd#1159 on 8/21/2012 12:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
it would be nice if they had something that calc the stat change when looking in the AH. i've been unfortunate a number of times to win an item only to have it turn out that what i had was actually better in one way or another
Reply Quote
I would at least like to see different HUD add-ons, that's really all I care about.
Reply Quote
For Pete's sake leave it alone. We don't need no stinking Add-ons of any kind.You people aren't looking to see who is pulling their weight ; you want someone to blame and yell at for anything that goes wrong. If you want all that stuff go over to WOW and you can Add-on your !@# off. The forced simplicity of each transaction in the Auction House has an allure all its own. And let everyone play their game and not worry about being crucified after each battle by some stat spouting smart alec that has enough data from the previous battle to possibly have you arrested for loitering!! So no.. no Add-ons
Edited by JackSchitte#1616 on 2/1/2013 5:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
IMO, something that was an add-on to see the avg buyout/bid price for an item you've picked up would be nice, or an in game auction calculator to see if the item you have is worth an auction and how much you'd get.
Reply Quote
They need to add a combat log. If there were somewhere for me to pull combat data you could have a standalone DPS meter
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
06/10/2012 01:23 AMPosted by Boffo
If they did allow add-ons, I'd love to see English translation subtitles for those stuck with an alternate language edition.

find someone with the english version copy out the subtitle files rename them to your language files that your replacing profit.
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 04:32 PMPosted by Phayden
I would be happy with a simple printable two page character sheet with gear info. So when I am hunting in the AH I can better track my toon's needs. There is a comparative popup bubble that shows up when you look at items, but only for the toon you are actively searching for. if you change the toon in the pull down the list resorts. It is highly unlikely that Blizzard will want the headache of creating a useful and printable character sheet for a player's toons. Perfect ground for an external third party app. It is a shame the graphics would probably be a bit of an issue tho.

Try d3up with the d3bit app, both are featured on the main page blog.
Reply Quote
06/05/2012 05:19 PMPosted by TwiztedFREEK
i was more or less looking at outside of game calculators mainly as useful tools to help novice players learn how to best build their toons or get a rough estimet on how long they would have to farm for a specific peice of loot

We have D3up and D3bit to do this., oops crossed in posting sorry.

As for "a rough estimet on how long they would have to farm for a specific peice of loot" that is not something you can do, the item could drop in 3 minutes or 30 day, or never.
Edited by DeadRu#1893 on 8/14/2013 7:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/11/2012 06:44 PMPosted by Gnomebiter
So...why are addons a "no-no" if it's something simple like WoW's Auctioneer? If I've already paid the money for the game, I should be allowed to tweak it how I want within reason. If I buy a car, I can add a multi-disc CD changer if I want. If I buy a McDonald's Big Mac, I can remove the pickles if I want. So since I bought a digital copy of Diablo 3, I should be allowed to add on something like Auctioneer if I want. It doesn't change the gameplay in the least, it just changes the way I interact with the auction house.

The difference is you aren't buying ownership of Diablo 3. You are buying a license that permits you to play the game, a service... while also requiring you follow the Terms of Service.

A lot of times when you "rent" an apartment, you are not allowed to make changes to said apartment, including large appliances, painting, construction, etc.
Reply Quote
12/02/2012 01:44 AMPosted by Stannis
it would be nice if they had something that calc the stat change when looking in the AH. i've been unfortunate a number of times to win an item only to have it turn out that what i had was actually better in one way or another

Again D3up and D3 bit.
www.d3up.com
www.d3bit.com
D3bit allows you to scan items in the game including the ah. You can scan as many as you want. then you can use the analyze function to compare it to the gear you have on the profile you loaded into D3up. You an try it witht different gems ect.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Uninstall it, Re install the english one.....
Reply Quote
Na-na-na-na-na-na-nerco....
Reply Quote
22 Gnome Mage
would be nice to have a keywarden addon so I know where the keywardens are at
Reply Quote
07/11/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Mourtimer
Ownership is always a mis-understood idea when it comes to Blizzards MMO games. None of us "Own" the game. We may possess the box it came in, the manual, the actual DvD that its installed with, but all we really have is a license to play the game that Blizzard "Owns". Its all in the Eula and such..... You know that part that we all just scroll down to get the "Accept" button to light up, and we never actually read. Its all in there. Sorry to break it to ya.....
It's not just Blizzard, it's with any kind of software you use! the license explicitly tells the person what he can and cannot do with the software.

Diablo III is proprietary or closed source software and people do not own the rights to do anything with it except using it to play the game.

There are some restrictive licenses like Ms-RSL (Microsoft Reference Source License) that allow you to use the software as well as view the source code itself but do nothing else with it.

Even when you buy a car you do not own the rights to modify it and by doing so you can actually lose your license, you need a special license to do it which is usually signed by the transportation department of your country as well as the car manufacturer itself although the latter is not always required.
Edited by Lynx#1224 on 4/20/2014 4:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]