Diablo® III

Need help with WD build...

Here is the current build I am running...
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#heUPYT!ZVd!aa..bb

Although this build does an EXCELLENT job at elite/champion/mob packs... it fails at single targeting DPS. With the build I have yet to beable to kill treasure goblins on NM ._.

The basic premiss of the build is a over-focus on survival. Zombie dogs, tank pet, haunt, ensure my life never goes down and I never get hit. Fetis army ensure that when I encounter harder affixes of champions, I can surround them with extra pets to ensure they never target me.

Although the build is largely successful at elite packs... it fails at single target DPS. I cannot... for the life of me... kill treasure goblins. And this is a royally big problem. Suggestions?
Reply Quote
thoughts?
Reply Quote
UPDATE: I just tried sacrifice instead of army. It works 100% better for sustained DPS then army... but still lacking in the singletargeting department
Reply Quote
i would disagree with the zombie handler passive. i think its better to have a 20% damage bonus passive or 1% hp regen.
also, grasp of the dead and/or wall of zombies is very useful at hell and beyond
Reply Quote
What level are you?
Reply Quote
Just hit 40. :D
Reply Quote
Almost every witch doctor I have seen goes Splintered Darts as their primary spell and for good reason. It will solve your single target problem instantly.

Have you thought of doing something a little more standard like Splintered Darts Primary, DireBats Secondary?

I would also recommend you look into replacing something with Soul Harvest. It's almost too good to pass up.

Something like this if you're dead set on using zombie dogs:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#acUdYT!ZVd!aaZYbb
Edited by Jman5#1656 on 6/6/2012 7:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Almost every witch doctor I have seen goes Splintered Darts as their primary spell and for good reason. It will solve your single target problem instantly.

Have you thought of doing something a little more standard like Splintered Darts Primary, DireBats Secondary?

I would also recommend you look into replacing something with Soul Harvest. It's almost too good to pass up.

The problem: soul harvest requires you to get close. This is HC.... I don't want to be anywhere near the mobs that are trying to kill me...

EDIT: I could. Yea. Not sure what I should get rid of though to do it.
Edited by axman#1422 on 6/6/2012 7:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Get the 60 second runeskill, and combine it with spirit walk, you can be real choosey about where you use it. You also don't have to get 5 buff every time. Getting 2 or 3 is still good. Remember you've got Spirit Vessel which synergizes with Soul Harvest and keeps you alive if you screw up too badly.

I've been using it all the way into inferno without Spirit walk and it really hasn't been a problem. Trust me, it's worth getting.

Soul Harvest is a massive DPS boost, and on top of that it buffs your resistance some (Intelligence).
Edited by Jman5#1656 on 6/6/2012 7:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Get the 60 second runeskill, and combine it with spirit walk, you can be real choosey about where you use it. You also don't have to get 5 buff every time. Getting 2 or 3 is still good. Remember you've got Spirit Vessel which synergizes with Soul Harvest and keeps you alive if you screw up too badly.

I've been using it all the way into inferno without Spirit walk and it really hasn't been a problem. Trust me, it's worth getting.

Soul Harvest is a massive DPS boost, and on top of that it buffs your resistance some (Intelligence).

It seems week in boss fights though. Correct me if I'm wrong xD
Reply Quote
Needs more frogs.
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 08:14 PMPosted by Trelow
Needs more frogs.

frogs are aweful imo :P
Reply Quote

It seems week in boss fights though. Correct me if I'm wrong xD

You're not wrong, although there are some bosses with adds like Skeleton king, Magdha, and Iskatu. You can always switch it out just prior to boss fights.
Reply Quote
what can I replace zombie dogs with?
Reply Quote
This is my build, currently level 40 WD.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aZXUiT!ZbV!aZbaba

I also use the templar and essentially use them to maintain choke points where I place graps of the dea and acid rain. The rare/champ monsters can be a bit more difficult to deal with if out in an open area and they have high mobility (teleport, fast, etc). If I really need to spread things out in order to take down one or two targets I'll use horrify to really focus damage and burn a monster down. But I just work on targets one at a time as I can. So far the hardest thing to really kill off has been vampiric with plague, just because the garg and templar stand in the poison.
Reply Quote
Right now I'm about level 37 coming into NM. The build I'm using at the moment is pretty standard as far as I know

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aidUYT!ZWV!baZabZ

Jungle Fortitude for tankiness and Spirit Vessel because I hate replaying act 1. Pierce the Veil for the extra DPS. Gargantuan and Zombie Dogs tank, and runed with Life Link the zombie dogs take 10% of your damage when you do get hit.

Mouse setup is mostly about nuking groups with acid rain spam. acid rain with pierce the veil and soul harvest stacks is devastating to groups but very mana hungry, which is why I take spined darts instead of splinters. The spined darts restore mana so you can get right back to melting people. For bosses I just switch the darts to splinters and acid rain to haunt.

Later in NM I anticipate ditching the zombie dogs for some form of CC. Right now it's not necessary, but later the build will probably want grasp of the dead or horrify runed with stalker. I don't know what you'll want to switch your dogs for or even that you should, but just look at your build and try to feel out what you don't have or need more of. You can never go wrong with more CC/escape.
Edited by Yggdrizzle#1372 on 6/7/2012 2:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Lvl 54 WD here, this is the build I use. It is a very defensive build but has great synergy with the bad medicine passive and the use of horrify and spirit walk make use of the spirit vessel passive.

People complain about the usefulness of horrify but with the armor rune and spirit vessel passive it lets you double your armor 44% of the time. The fact that it horrify enemy's I just consider a bonus.

Also I have read about people running into Garg survivability problems. I am currently in A1 hell and he is still effective. This mean he stays alive during fights and procs mad medicine. If he starts dieing to quickly I could see myself subing something else there.

With Acid Cloud there are more mana efficient DPS spells but once again I get the added benefit of bad medicine here. You take a DPS hit but this lets you reduce the damage of all mobs on your screen by 20%.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aiUXRT!ZcV!aacYaY

Edited for spelling / additional info
Edited by PoopyPants#1979 on 6/7/2012 8:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]