Diablo® III

Guide (from a wizard just beaten inferno)

Hi all,

Just decided to do a little writeup about my journey through inferno.
It was a really great experience finally beating diablo, after numerous failed attempts.

Here are my thoughts about builds and must-have's (all related to inferno only):

Act 1-2
Weapon used: 2hd weapon of 1.1k dps 0.9spd (100int, 70vit)
Build used:
- Venom hydra
- Arcane Orb (Tap the Source rune)
- Force Weapon
- Force Armor
- Diamond Skin (With Crystal Shell)
- Teleport (With fracture)
Passive
- Glass Cannon
- Evocation
- Astral Presence

Act 3-4
Weapon used: 1hd 880 dps (100int/100vit), 60-220 orb (120int, 80vit, 4% health)
Build used:
- Venom hydra
- Piercing Orb
- Blizzard
- Force Armor
- Diamond Skin (With Crystal Shell)
- Teleport (With fracture)
Passive
- Glass Cannon
- Evocation
- Blur / Astral Presence

Boss specific build
Diablo (build created after dying >30 times against diablo and my shadow clone):
- Venom hydra
- Magic Missile (Seeker)
- Wave of Force (for pushing away projectiles) (Reduce cooldown rune)
- Frost Nova (for freezing him when he teleports next to you) (Reduce cooldown rune)
- Force Armor
- Teleport (With wormhole)

Rakanoth:
- Ancient Guardian (begin battle with > 35% health, and no regen, dismiss templar if you have him as companion)

**Must-haves for inferno**:
25% move speed (boots with 12%, bracer 7%, pants 6%)
Skill to analyze map and "park" unbeatable elites

My stats (With force armor on and glass cannon, no other buffs (no force weapon)):
3.6k Armor
37k dps (Attack per second 2.09)
300 resist avg
38k health
25% move speed

Hope this helps anyone looking for inferno builds.
Edited by Mros#1252 on 6/4/2012 9:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Sounds solid,

although i believe the math would suggest a lower attackspeed for your a3/a4 build.
Reply Quote
Nice setup. With very similar stats and a somewhat similar skill build I've been having a lot of trouble in act 3. I had no idea bracers and pants gave MS buffs, I think that's a lot of my problem.

Do you think Evocation is better than illusionist with this build? Lower teleport/diamond armor by 2 seconds in exchange for having teleport reset on hit? Illusionist/wurmhole is really nice for jailer/waller mobs, allows you to spam click teleport when stuck and get out as soon as the first mob hits you.

Very helpful though, thanks.
Reply Quote
was the 1 hand 880 dps with the source more dps than the 2 hand 1.1k?
Reply Quote
Hi Damage,

In my opinion, illusionist is not useful. In rare scenarios you need more than one teleport to out of a wall-off.

In the cases when you do, you are probably overwhelmed by them already. You will have to deal with them sooner or later, even if you manage to escape once. Having evocation is mostly for reducing Diamond Skin cooldown. With the skill kicking off more often, you will end up dealing more "net damage" to creeps(which in results, allows you to proceed further into the Act)

I am against wormhole for the same reason. By teleporting multiple times away during a normal quest, you are essentially only saving that few hundreds gold from repair, but not really doing anything to progress into the stage.

Wormhole is only for boss purposes. Never found illusionist to be any useful throughout the game.
Reply Quote
Ruthar, I didnt do a direct comparison. But basically the issue with the 2hd'er is that the casting animation is way too long for signature spells. Arcane orb is not reliable when you have waves and waves of creeps coming all at once. Your mana pool will deplete and there will still be some creeps left.
Reply Quote
By "park", do you mean take a couple deaths to pull a (practically) unbeatable elite far enough away on the map that they will not bother you anymore and you can just ignore it? I used this technique by accident the other day and it seemed to work pretty well.
Reply Quote
Yes Similar, that's exactly what I meant. The key is to park them to an optional path away from the main path for completing the quest. This gets harder in act 3 during the spiral dungeon, as the map is circular and usually not a good place for "parking". Act 4 was easier for "parking" :P
Reply Quote
suggestion? use wormhole against your clone, or better yet, slow time. as soon as hes about to spawn, pop it and you dont have to worry about his arcane orb ever.
Reply Quote
So I'm stuck on Diablo right now. Going through Act 4 was quite easy actually (although I still died quite a bit). I used a very different tactic against Rakanoth.

Anyway, I'll try your Diablo build next time I fight him. We'll see how that goes!
Reply Quote
Hi Bottle, please do. Feel quite proud of this build. Key (but extremely important) difference of the diablo build is Wave of Force and Frost Nova. You can pick and choose your dmg spells, but the two skills above are what saved me in the endurance boss battle lol.

Forgot to mention, I choose the reduce cooldown rune for both.
Edited by Mros#1252 on 6/4/2012 8:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for making my day bro. Here I was 30k hp, 39k dps, roughly 280-320 resist (my physical is the highest :D)

Was thinking I had to drop a couple mil each act...

but that doesnt seem to be the case. I like how you got the arcane orb, I am a big fan of it
Reply Quote
Does it matter if you're using a 2h or 1h for your A1-A2 build?

Also what rune did you use with Arcane Orb on A1-A2?
Edited by bennydabull#1676 on 6/4/2012 8:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
A1-A2 1h or 2h are both okay in my opinion. Act3-4 using 1h is alot easier.
I used Tap the Source with Arcane Orb. You will be limited by your mana if you use Arcane Orb as main dmg dealer. So reducing it's cost is recommended.
Reply Quote
Hey looking at your build I think it nice.
Just wondering a couple of thing:

Is it possibly to use your Act 3-4 build on Act 1-2? Not really into the weapon wielding and prefer to sit back and cast.

Second question, for dealing with large groups, would you not recommend disintegrate?
Reply Quote
Do you have items that grant AP on crits? I'm using a pretty similar build but I find when using arcane orb even at 20AP I can only cast it a few times before I'm tapped on AP with nothing to do.
Reply Quote
cyanogen: hi, you can definitely use the act3-4 build on act1-2, but the act3-4 build relies on having a good 1h weapon and orb. If you can find a good deal on one, it is imo definitely the better build. When I first got to inferno, 2h weapons with good dmg stats is more affordable, so I went the first route.

stew514: I do not have AP on crits on my weapon, but i did have a helm with added max AP pool. The thing with arcane orb is that usually with non-elite creeps, you should be able to kill them all before you run out of your pool. For elites, you will be kiting in circles, so that gives you time for AP recharge.
Reply Quote
I'll give it a try, I've been using the piercing lightning orb with arcane dynamo because it lets my venom hydra do insane damage on the elites.
Reply Quote
The key to piercing orb is that it has to work with Diamond Skin. You have to be standing still for like 2 seconds, spamming piercing orb (to make use of the attack speed you have). The Diamond Skin allows you to take an extra 1-2 projectile. This gives the little extra time needed for spamming the orbs.
Reply Quote
I have around 25k hp,26dps and 300 resist, 18% movement speed and 1k life regen. Do you think i should drop life regen and add more DPS?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]