Diablo® III

Solo Inferno Act 4 Clear! +Some Advice

Thank you OP for your invaluable advice!

I have a question on weapon dps and thought I can put it here. Are (+xx - xxx damage) and (+xx - xxx elemental damage) factored in the weapon dps? For example, if a sword is labelled to have 1000 DPS and + 100-200 fire damage, is fire damage already factored in or is it an addition to 1000DPS? I learned earlier today that +% damage is factored in.

Thank you!
Reply Quote
06/07/2012 01:51 PMPosted by Immortal
Bokchoy I'm not sure if the EH formula on this http://www.d3itemcalc.com/ is the same as yours. I'm just wondering what your EH is mine is about 500k I'm at the start of Act 3 and it is a bit rough for me though. 22k dam, 18% dodge, 850resist average(810-1000), 33khp, I'm using a 2h. Thanks.

What I posted wasn't the formula. It is simply to illustrate the components that make up effective health and the fact that it's multiplicative.
Reply Quote
So I'm in Act 2 Inferno, the beginning. My stats are as follows:

Life: 63,719
Armor: 8918
Resist: 600-700
Damage: 5706.13
Block Chance: 15%
Block Amount: 3706-4704
Dodge 11.7%
Life per hit: 0

Why on earth is my damage so low? My weapon has 768 damage with Attack Speed. I can't kill anything for crap, it takes me nearly 10 minutes to kill a champion pack farming Warden + Butcher, and Butcher I have to tank through the entire floor being fire for at least a minute, rolling cooldowns, health potions, and the wells.

What gives??

I had the same issue. What I did was I re-evaluated my stats. At first I had the mindset of, "I MUST have 700 resist all minimum to do act 2." Not the case. Currently I am chopping through Act 2 with 40k HP, 500 resist all (with War cry), 7k armor (with War cry), and 29.9k dps. I am also using a 2 hander with 1076 dmg. My recommendation for gearing is this, every piece you have should have no less than +80 strength/vitality and 35-40+ All resistance. I personally only equip items that have 100+ strength/vitality and +35-40 All resistance. Another trick that will VASTLY increase your dps is having +14% or higher attack speed on your gloves, rings, and amulet. This alone will increase your dps by about 8-9k. I also run with Rage of the berserker (+25% dmg) I use this with Nerves of Steel and Tough as nails. I don't use any rage spending abilities so the extra dmg I believe is great. I am finding that even with my resist a little bit lower than most and lower health pool, my dps more than makes up for it. Just got to pay attention to mobs and avoid all special attacks. Also I pop earthquake and wrath of the berseker, all elites/champs no matter the affix, melt in seconds. Also I have mythic potions on stand by for an oh !@#$ button and I always line up adds so that push come to shove I can furious charge through them back up to full hp. I also recommend bringing the Enchantress for the armor and knock back, and attack speed bonus. Realistically you probably can do any build you want, but you have to scale your dps as you progress. I would say minimum dps for act 2, you need to be at 18k because mobs have more hp. The faster they die, the less hits they get on you. So to ppl QQing about Barb not being able to progress through inferno unless they have sword and barb, I pew pew this, grab a two hander, get your stats viable, and have having chopping through baddies like it's nobodies business. Don't get me wrong, inferno is more challenging as melee, but I have found that as long as your get pieces with the right stats and stat amounts, you'll be fine. That's my two sense
Reply Quote
Thank you OP for your invaluable advice!

I have a question on weapon dps and thought I can put it here. Are (+xx - xxx damage) and (+xx - xxx elemental damage) factored in the weapon dps? For example, if a sword is labelled to have 1000 DPS and + 100-200 fire damage, is fire damage already factored in or is it an addition to 1000DPS? I learned earlier today that +% damage is factored in.

Thank you!

Yes, they are. Attack speed is also factored in.
However, crit chance, crit dmg bonus, strength are not factored in.
Extra damage from rubies are factored in when viewing them in game, but not when viewing the auction house. Oddly enough, it IS factored in when you sort by weapon DPS, which is why you'll sometimes see weapons out of order.
Edited by Bokchoy#1328 on 6/7/2012 3:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
By the way great info and insight OP. I am glad to find other Barbs sharing good info to the Barb community and not crying for nerfs and such. Barb for LIFE!
Reply Quote
Hmm... I seems to have difficulty trying to clear Act 2. Some elite mobs just f@#k me up in less than 3 seconds. I have no problems with the white mobs though.

My Stats (after buffed) - http://postimage.org/image/u3jptp7rb/
My Build - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WXRVSk!beY!aaZccc

Is my HP too low for act 2? I seen people posting that they clear act 2 with only 30K+ of life, wonder how true is that since I'm having problem myself.

As for my damage, I seen cases where people complete inferno with only 9K+ dps, so I'm not too sure should I increase it soon or should I put my priority at somewhere else first and get back to it later.
Edited by loftystew#6623 on 6/7/2012 3:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Your defensive stats are pretty good and I'm surprised you die as fast as you say you do.

What kills you when you fight elite packs? Physical or non-physical?

I'd say your main bottleneck is DPS. I'd consider using WotB to make up for your low damage output, just so you can burn down 1 elite, to make the last two easier.

Your HP isn't low because your all-resist makes up for it. I'd still try to increase it.
Reply Quote
Your defensive stats are pretty good and I'm surprised you die as fast as you say you do.

What kills you when you fight elite packs? Physical or non-physical?

I'd say your main bottleneck is DPS. I'd consider using WotB to make up for your low damage output, just so you can burn down 1 elite, to make the last two easier.

Your HP isn't low because your all-resist makes up for it. I'd still try to increase it.

Both physical and non-physical.

Some status that I find myself always dying a few times just to kill the pack are:

- Any combinations with Fast or both Fast and Minons -> they just hit too fast for me to do anything, sometime I skip it. Imagine lacuni warriors or some giant golems (forgot the name) with it. They just hit too hard and fast.

- Frozen Arcane Desecrator and Jailer and sometime with shielding/wall too -> this is one crazy combinations if you ask me, I skip it too.

- Range elite with nightmarish with invulnerable -> Boy, this is irritating. I mean it's possible for me to kill them but the range fear attacks just keep sending me running to their opposite directions. I don't avoid them but I died like 4-5 times just to finish it off.

- Oh yea, Fire chain can be a !@#$% too if it comes with jailer.

Come to think of it, I died mainly due to elemental damage. LOL
Edited by loftystew#6623 on 6/7/2012 9:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Good guide, only real issue i have is like others, i already have a job, and have no interest in playing D3 economist to play a computer game.

I do have one question, and its purely curious, how do you expect the 1.03 patch to impact Attack speed builds? Given how well DH are doing with AS builds, and how many barbs are doing with AS as a primary offensive stat its pretty much the way to build right now.

currently i am following a similar build, and my stats are really not that far off yours. Sitting at 47K Hp, 19k DPS, 500-600 RA unbuffed, 9300 armor, 300 LOH, and 18% block, with 13% dodge. Granted i need a really good shield upgrade, and more LOH/HP/RA.
Reply Quote
Good guide, only real issue i have is like others, i already have a job, and have no interest in playing D3 economist to play a computer game.

I do have one question, and its purely curious, how do you expect the 1.03 patch to impact Attack speed builds? Given how well DH are doing with AS builds, and how many barbs are doing with AS as a primary offensive stat its pretty much the way to build right now.

currently i am following a similar build, and my stats are really not that far off yours. Sitting at 47K Hp, 19k DPS, 500-600 RA unbuffed, 9300 armor, 300 LOH, and 18% block, with 13% dodge. Granted i need a really good shield upgrade, and more LOH/HP/RA.

D3 economist isn't a job. Not sure how you can relate the two. It's still a game and I personally find it tons of fun. Better than breaking pots for hours on end.

1.03's effect on attack speed completely depends on how bad they nerf it. It's currently way too powerful.

Take a character that has pure DPS and strength stats.
A 15% Attack Speed increases your DPS by 15%.
You need 30% Crit Chance to match that.
Or
300% Crit Bonus.
It's absolutely insane.

We also don't know if Blizzard will nerf already existing attack speed items... I think they should, but it would totally screw me. hahahah.
Reply Quote
Hey, great post!
I am about to make a barbarian.
What gear should I look for to gear him up for at least act 1 inferno?
And what weapon should I buy if i can't afford a 800ish dps LOH weapon?
(got 2,5mil to spend).
Reply Quote

D3 economist isn't a job. Not sure how you can relate the two. It's still a game and I personally find it tons of fun. Better than breaking pots for hours on end.

1.03's effect on attack speed completely depends on how bad they nerf it. It's currently way too powerful.

Take a character that has pure DPS and strength stats.
A 15% Attack Speed increases your DPS by 15%.
You need 30% Crit Chance to match that.
Or
300% Crit Bonus.
It's absolutely insane.

We also don't know if Blizzard will nerf already existing attack speed items... I think they should, but it would totally screw me. hahahah.

yes, what i am afraid of. I cant see them not fixing the existing items in the game though. would break the economy and game even further if they left it in.

As far as Ah vs game, personal preference really. i make 500k minimum per hour in act 2, and with one good drop its 1-4 million easily. i just dont find it enjoyable to stand and look at an AH constantly refreshing it in attempts to mark up prices. Then again i prefer to find my upgrades rather then buy them as much as possible.
Reply Quote
I've tried the adventuring life. Didnt care for it. Too much pain, not enough profit.
Edited by Bokchoy#1328 on 6/8/2012 10:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the very well-written post. I look forward to getting to inferno with my barbarian now.
Reply Quote
06/06/2012 02:18 AMPosted by Bokchoy
10 Armor = 1 All Resist. While All Resist is boosted by 50% (via War Cry Impunity), Armor is boosted by 45% (20% from War Cry + 25% from Tough as Nails). Armor also benefits from Enchantress' Aura and Leap - Iron Impact. When evaluating gear upgrades, consider each 10 points it adds to your Armor as equal to 1 All Resist.

First off great article - really appreciate the effort you put into making this! I'm a little confused by what you mean by the above: 1 resist = 10 armor. I get that the damage mitigation amount is equivalent, but don't they mitigate different things? Aside from the physical resist part of all resist being equivalent to armor, I don't believe armor mitigates, say poison damage. Doesn't this make 1 resist worth more than 10 armor since it gives the benefit of 10 armor through physical resist AND more?
Reply Quote
In this game ARMOR reduces damage from EVERYTHING not just PHYSICAL damage.
Reply Quote
Ahh I see. That's what I was unclear about... and I couldn't locate any official source stating one way or the other. Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Very good info, thank you very much!

Quick question, why did you go with the sword mastery, over berserker rage since you dont have any fury spends?
Reply Quote
06/08/2012 10:55 AMPosted by Bokchoy
I've tried the adventuring life. Didnt care for it. Too much pain, not enough profit.

Smiled very widely when I read this quote. Very nice thread, good notes for sure. Thanks for the write-up. I've posted this elsewhere, but if you're interested in commenting as well, I'm currently having a dilemma with my shield and was looking for some input:

Basically, I'm curious to know your thoughts on my shield. I wish I had a 30%+ Stormshield or at least a higher block chance on my Sacred Shield, but I can't help but feel it has very good stats and am having a hard time deciding if I should get a Sacred Shield with worse stats, but higher block, or just use this one until I can afford a good Stormshield. I have Helm of Command and an IAS Justice Lantern, so it puts me at 35% block even with this Sacred Shield (it is only 16% by itself). Here are the stats:

1138 Armor
16% Block (Naturally, 3706-4706 BV for a Sacred)
78 Resist All
133 Vit (excluding gem)
1 Socket
46 Life Regen
74 Dex
45 Int

Obviously the stats could be better, but I feel like they are pretty powerful. Should I keep it with the 35% total from my helm/ring until I can get a 30%+ Stormshield? Or would I really benefit from getting a 25%+ Sacred Shield in the meantime with worse stats?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
06/09/2012 08:11 AMPosted by ItZMuRdA

Smiled very widely when I read this quote. Very nice thread, good notes for sure. Thanks for the write-up. I've posted this elsewhere, but if you're interested in commenting as well, I'm currently having a dilemma with my shield and was looking for some input:

Basically, I'm curious to know your thoughts on my shield. I wish I had a 30%+ Stormshield or at least a higher block chance on my Sacred Shield, but I can't help but feel it has very good stats and am having a hard time deciding if I should get a Sacred Shield with worse stats, but higher block, or just use this one until I can afford a good Stormshield. I have Helm of Command and an IAS Justice Lantern, so it puts me at 35% block even with this Sacred Shield (it is only 16% by itself). Here are the stats:

1138 Armor
16% Block (Naturally, 3706-4706 BV for a Sacred)
78 Resist All
133 Vit (excluding gem)
1 Socket
46 Life Regen
74 Dex
45 Int

Obviously the stats could be better, but I feel like they are pretty powerful. Should I keep it with the 35% total from my helm/ring until I can get a 30%+ Stormshield? Or would I really benefit from getting a 25%+ Sacred Shield in the meantime with worse stats?

Thanks!

If you want to compare, a Stormshield would need to have 26% or higher block to equal your blocking.

Other than that, it's a straight stats comparison.
The damage reduction from melee/elite on Stormshields is really compelling, but I'd only go that route if I couldn't upgrade anywhere else for under 5m.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]