Diablo® III

Solo Inferno Act 4 Clear! +Some Advice

Smiled very widely when I read this quote. Very nice thread, good notes for sure. Thanks for the write-up. I've posted this elsewhere, but if you're interested in commenting as well, I'm currently having a dilemma with my shield and was looking for some input:

Basically, I'm curious to know your thoughts on my shield. I wish I had a 30%+ Stormshield or at least a higher block chance on my Sacred Shield, but I can't help but feel it has very good stats and am having a hard time deciding if I should get a Sacred Shield with worse stats, but higher block, or just use this one until I can afford a good Stormshield. I have Helm of Command and an IAS Justice Lantern, so it puts me at 35% block even with this Sacred Shield (it is only 16% by itself). Here are the stats:

1138 Armor
16% Block (Naturally, 3706-4706 BV for a Sacred)
78 Resist All
133 Vit (excluding gem)
1 Socket
46 Life Regen
74 Dex
45 Int

Obviously the stats could be better, but I feel like they are pretty powerful. Should I keep it with the 35% total from my helm/ring until I can get a 30%+ Stormshield? Or would I really benefit from getting a 25%+ Sacred Shield in the meantime with worse stats?

Thanks!

If you want to compare, a Stormshield would need to have 26% or higher block to equal your blocking.

Other than that, it's a straight stats comparison.
The damage reduction from melee/elite on Stormshields is really compelling, but I'd only go that route if I couldn't upgrade anywhere else for under 5m.

Alright, thanks very much for the info. I was pretty much thinking the same, trying to eye a 30%+ Stormshield and maybe buy one when I could easily afford it. I don't plan on upgrading the shield before then unless I really found a steal on another Sacred Shield, however.

As for my other gear, I'm sure there are other upgrades I could use. I have a few "decent" but nowhere near perfect legendaries. 10% IAS Justice Lantern; Helm of Command with a socket, +armor, +fire resist; 14% String with 19 res and an additional 55+ str/dex/int; Ouroboros with 178 str and 380 LoH, and the rest mostly rares with whatever resists/vit I could get. I feel like one or more of those latter pieces are lacking the most, as I can't seem to find a nice balance of gear with what I have to choose from. I'm either at 1k resists but down to 35-40k HP, or at reasonable HP with severely lacking resists (500ish?). Likewise with Armor, my pieces with high armor lack elsewhere, and vice versa. A set I've been running around with atm looks something like this:

46k HP
7.5k Armor (pre-enchantress and pre-war cry)
500-600 Resists (pre-war cry)
35% Block with 3706-4706 block value

and depending on which of the two weapons I'm using:
7k DPS with 437 LoH or
5k DPS with 1162 LoH

As I said, I have a few similar pieces that I try to swap around and I can get higher HP at the cost of resists or vice versa. Really trying to figure out where my best investment would be to improve overall atm.

Thanks again!
Edited by ItZMuRdA#1778 on 6/9/2012 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Your damage mitigation is really good, but I'd be worried with 4-digit dps. I would improve that first, IMO.

On he other hand, a lot of people have been successful with extreme tanky builds. As long as you can reach critical mass and heal yourself faster than they damage you, you can take down anything. In progressing through Inferno, I focused a lot on DPS, sometimes compromising survivability.

I think I had 12k in Act 1, 16k in Act 2, 20k in Act 3.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Thanks for the detailed post. I have been running with almost the same build (except runes i cant reach yet, only 51). Any reasons why Wrath of the Berserker over Charge (which im using now). Is it to meet enrage timers?

j/w cause I'm reluctant to get rid of the mobility, but I guess it wont be a big deal when i hit 60 and get some boots with movement.

Thanks for the details on stats, been talking with a friend that is forsaking all for All resists and it didn't seem like the right way to go...
Reply Quote
I disagree that end game progression is based solely on gear.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the detailed post. I have been running with almost the same build (except runes i cant reach yet, only 51). Any reasons why Wrath of the Berserker over Charge (which im using now). Is it to meet enrage timers?

j/w cause I'm reluctant to get rid of the mobility, but I guess it wont be a big deal when i hit 60 and get some boots with movement.

I used to use Furious Charge instead of Wrath of the Berserker. I cleared Act 1 and Act 2 with Charge instead of Wrath. It was very good. The reason I switched to Wrath was for problematic elite combinations. The first elite is the most important one. Wrath gives you the ability to go over the top and demolish the first elite as quickly as possible.

06/11/2012 12:44 AMPosted by Ace
I disagree that end game progression is based solely on gear.

What else could it be based on? There will be times where you've hit a brick wall, and you can't progress. You can change your spec around all you want and play the best Diablo you've ever played. The numbers will just overwhelm you. This game is a constant gear check.
Edited by Bokchoy#1328 on 6/11/2012 6:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Your damage mitigation is really good, but I'd be worried with 4-digit dps. I would improve that first, IMO.

On he other hand, a lot of people have been successful with extreme tanky builds. As long as you can reach critical mass and heal yourself faster than they damage you, you can take down anything. In progressing through Inferno, I focused a lot on DPS, sometimes compromising survivability.

I think I had 12k in Act 1, 16k in Act 2, 20k in Act 3.

Thanks. The past few days I've been shifting more toward DPS as well. Including War Cry and Enchantress, my stats look something like this:

12.5k DPS Pre-Berserker Rage, almost 16k with it. (I am testing switching BR in for Superstition)
10k Armor
989 Str
1002 Vit
40.3k HP
886-986 Resists
35% Block with a 3706-4706 Block Value
570 Life on hit

The HP is on the low side, but I'm pretty content with the rest of the stats right now. Going to be looking out for a way to improve the HP without sacrificing anything else.
Reply Quote
Nice thread and you got it right by saying that Barbs have the highest potential in the game if geared up. 1h + shield though is just good if you don't have the money got very good gear yet or you're playing hardcore.

2h Barb is where the potential lies. You can easily break 50k DPS with mediocre gear and you can get over 100k DPS if you're patient enough to not only play the AH, but also camp the Items you need for hours. Life on Hit also isn't really necessary anymore once you break a certain DPS with the correct defenses and skills.

I'm currently sitting at 71k DPS and my rings suck. I also have 9,3k Armor and 900+ all res.
To get your DPS that high, crit and crit damage are the way to go. My crit is 37% and my crit damage is at 268%. If I didn't have that, my DPS would probably drop by half (I'm doing 80-130k crits with normal attacks in Inferno while having around 2,5 AS with Frenzy).

If you want to get the full potential out of your Barb, you have to drop the shield. I can do whimsyshire without ever dying and I do 1-3 shot every trash mob, while I kill elites in 2-6 seconds with Wrath + Earthquake depending on their skills (unless they're shielding, then it takes forever).
Reply Quote
Thanks for the awesome tips Bokchoy! :D
Reply Quote
For what it's worth, I finally killed Inferno Diablo for the first time (although I honestly hadn't been trying to progress past Azmodan until just yesterday). It was easier than I expected, around 8 or so attempts I believe. The fight is long with a tanky build, but I often didn't feel like I was in much danger, only really during the shadow phase. The stats that I ended up doing it with looked like this:

11579.22 DPS
40294 HP
8620 Armor (War Cry alone, not with enchantress buff, since you can't use a follower for Diablo)
766-877 Resists (817 Phys, 877 Fire; again with War Cry)
35% Block with 3706-4706 Block Value
15.7% Dodge
14% Melee Damage Reduction (String of Ears)
737 Life on Hit
528 Life Regen
1.60 Attacks per second

GL to all and thanks again Bokchoy for the insight.
Reply Quote
Nice thread and you got it right by saying that Barbs have the highest potential in the game if geared up. 1h + shield though is just good if you don't have the money got very good gear yet or you're playing hardcore.

2h Barb is where the potential lies. You can easily break 50k DPS with mediocre gear and you can get over 100k DPS if you're patient enough to not only play the AH, but also camp the Items you need for hours. Life on Hit also isn't really necessary anymore once you break a certain DPS with the correct defenses and skills.

I'm currently sitting at 71k DPS and my rings suck. I also have 9,3k Armor and 900+ all res.
To get your DPS that high, crit and crit damage are the way to go. My crit is 37% and my crit damage is at 268%. If I didn't have that, my DPS would probably drop by half (I'm doing 80-130k crits with normal attacks in Inferno while having around 2,5 AS with Frenzy).

If you want to get the full potential out of your Barb, you have to drop the shield. I can do whimsyshire without ever dying and I do 1-3 shot every trash mob, while I kill elites in 2-6 seconds with Wrath + Earthquake depending on their skills (unless they're shielding, then it takes forever).

I would be very intersted in seeing your items/build. I've been having such trouble with drops, but I have an amazing 2H that I don't have the heart to sell.
Reply Quote
Current Gear: http://i.imgur.com/yMxIi.jpg

I'm at roughly 83k DPS now after buying some better rings.
It's still not perfect by any means and I also still need to switch out some parts (the pants and chest are amazing though), but it's pretty good for having invested roughly 70m into it.

Farm Build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WRVkPT!bVZ!abccZc

If I want to be save I switch out Earthquake for Leap + Iron Hide Rune. Earthquake is really just the best option to kill elites fast. If you have trouble with trash mobs or killing the boss at the end, I'd use Iron Hide instead of Earthquake, because it gives you more survivability to get out of pinches and another 4 second time frame to attack without taking much damage that almost equals Ignore Pain (except you don't get 20% Lifesteal).

I don't need any Life on Hit or Lifesteal, because mobs usually die before they can deal any significant damage. And if they ever do I just use Ignore Pain to heal up.
The only problem the 120sec DPS build has are shielding/invincible minion elites and elites that keep running out of Earthquake range.
If everything goes as planned and the elites don't have shields protecting them, they usually die within 2-5 seconds.

You don't have to get above 80k DPS to do this by the way. It's already done quite effectively at 30k+ DPS (I recommend 60k+ if you don't want to die alot though), just slower. 800+ Resist All and 8k+ Armor, as well as 50k HP are necessary in that case though. Especially in the upcoming patch, because dying is going to be much more expensive due to the increased repair costs.
Edited by Endrance#2258 on 6/14/2012 8:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Very likely the weapon u are using has awful attack speed... hence lower damage PER SECOND because you attack fewer times PER SECOND. Attack speed mod ON your weapon is not reflective of higher damage so much as the attack speed on other items. Ie. a ring with more attack speed is better than a weapon with attack speed. you also probably have very low strength which affects damage greatly. Last, if you go to the bottom of the butchers fire pit like THE VERY BOTTOM, and stand there, flames can't hit you.
Reply Quote
View profile
so in other words unless i want to play an AH mini-game I can't do act II and onward...awesome...
Reply Quote
06/15/2012 01:47 AMPosted by ElevenEleven
so in other words unless i want to play an AH mini-game I can't do act II and onward...awesome...

Yeah, it's kinda !@#$ty.

AH is the game. Diablo 3 is the minigame.
Reply Quote
First of all I would like to say that if you are looking to play the auction house this is solid advice and I thank the op for her contribution.

However, this is exacly why Bliz is increasing rare drop rates and rebalancing inferno in patch 1.03. People do not want to play the auction house, they want to play the game. .

The game is boring. I have played through the campaign too many times to count.

Grinding is not fun.
Reply Quote
prop. i start doing this after i save up some money for asses. with a decent amount of money in your stash, u can buy and sell things back pretty fast. for bidding war, set up an alarm schedule to reminds u. agree on everything u say..except maybe the level reduction one..it's not as popular b/c a lot of people are getting power level now.
Reply Quote
Good info
Reply Quote
Best guide i found so far...
TY alot man! ^^,
Reply Quote
Leap > Ignore Pain, simply Leap allows me to get out of tight spots and the addition 80% dmg reduction rune is the icing on a cake. Leap has saved my hardcore barb many many times when I get stuck behind walls with arcane/fire, and crowds of mobs. So definitely go with Leap!
Reply Quote
Ur a girl barb too??!!! AWESOME! I love my barb. I don't think I'm doing so bad so far. can beat act 1 act 2 is getting easier n easier.. this is the 3rd time tho randomly googling advice for barbs in inferno that I stumbled on more great advice from you. I've given another friend a link to ur blog about building barb. Thank you. You really are the best barb advice I've been able to find anywhere. General chat can be pretty retarded :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]